Need To Order Ammo Can

Bobthearch

Hello. I've been planning a cache for some time now, my first. I can't find ammo cans locally so am planning on ordering two or three. I see the 50 cal. cans are $6 at CheaperThanDirt.com. Is this a fair deal, or can someone suggest a cheaper source?

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by Bobthearch
Hello. I've been planning a cache for some time now, my first. I can't find ammo cans locally so am planning on ordering two or three. I see the 50 cal. cans are $6 at CheaperThanDirt.com. Is this a fair deal, or can someone suggest a cheaper source?

Thanks,

Bob

Cheaperthandirt is probably the best deal out there. They sell a 6 pack of the .30 cal cans for $19 and the .50 cal for almost 6. If buying from them, your best bet is to buy in bulk because shipping is the same for one can as it is for 20. You can probably, easily get rid of extra cans by selling them to your local geocachers. A post in your regional forum will usually get the excess cans off your hands.

Are there truly NO army surplus stores in your area or ae you afraid of the ones that are there? I fully sympathize that they may seem a a tad "seedy" and have that "biker-cum-militant-meth-lab-owner" look about them but they aren't as awful as some may think.

Make a quick trip through your local hardware store ( not the big box stores but a REAL hardware store) or a good bait shop.

At least you might get a chance to look the goods over before you buy.

Cabela's has 4 .50 cal for 19.95 or one for 5.95. Something to remember if you order anything else from there.

The army surplus store in my area has bumped the price up a couple of bucks, so I'm looking for alternate sources now.

Edited by niskibum

Torry,

Living in a very rural area, there aren't many stores. Two places in town that might have had them didn't. I could probably make a trip to Colorado Springs or Pueblo, but being on-call for work I can't often travel that far from home. Wouldn't be worth it anyway, driving four hours to save a dollar or two...

There are one or two other cachers in the area, but I don't know them. So I'll probably just buy what I need.

Sincerest thanks for the input,

-Bob

Torry,

Living in a very rural area, there aren't many stores. Two places in town that might have had them didn't. I could probably make a trip to Colorado Springs or Pueblo, but being on-call for work I can't often travel that far from home. Wouldn't be worth it anyway, driving four hours to save a dollar or two...

There are one or two other cachers in the area, but I don't know them. So I'll probably just buy what I need.

Sincerest thanks for the input,

-Bob

Understood.

Other possibilities:

- - Plastic Thermos jugs: They're waterproof (If it has a spout duct tape it thoroughly.) They're fairly sturdy. Spacious. Fit into a tree trunk nicely. Unfortunately they can be difficult to camouflage as they often resist paint. I suggest camouflage tape.

- - 5-Gallon Plastic Buckets: Very roomy and can collect some interesting Travel Bugs and swag. WalMart and other places sell them full of dog food (Wash and bleach thoroughly to remove smell!) Can be camouflaged with foam and paint to resemble a trunk or rock. Unfortunately they're SO big they can be difficult to hide in well-travelled ares.

- - Tool box / Tackle box: Shop carefully to find a good one with a waterproof lid. Avoid steel ones as they tend to rust and stain the contents. Some take paint well or are already reasonably camo'ed.

- - Something different? ?? Have you ever seen the those giant fake beer bottles filled with popcorn on sale at K-Mart, Target, WalMart, etc at the holidays? The bottles are waterproof, wide-mouthed enough for even my fat piggy hands and will get some neat comments. (Wash and bleach thoroughly.)