Winter Caching Etiquette

GPSVixen

If you're creating a multi or any other cache consider hiding it above the ground so the finder won't have to dig under a metre of snow to find it. If you're searching for and find caches you can leave false trails so there's not a single path in the snow directly to the cache.

If you're searching for and find caches you can leave false trails so there's not a single path in the snow directly to the cache.

Very important factor to prevent muggles from discovering our things, and not to make it too easy for the next person in the event there is no snow cover for awhile after you have been there.

I've got 5 kids so I tell them to run around for a while, good luck to anyone that thinks they can just follow the tracks to the cache LOL! :D

I have heard that Energizer Lithium batteries work well in winter. They are rated as low as -40 C. Of course, they are also hideously expensive, but they claim up to 3x the battery life in your GPS unit.

The problem is, below -20 C the screen is no good. Some people I know up here keep the GPS tucked inside and wear an external antenna outside.

Of course, for geocaching, you can always keep the unit tucked away and warm until you get to the cache site.

I love the let your kids run around idea. I normally bring the KaFuffles with me and once I have found it (oftern wandering all around myself), I then give them hints to finding it on thier own - so there is lots of tracks. I hadn't considered above the snow line, though. Might have to move a recent placement.

Snowshoes help. So does a shovel. As for clues I'm going to read them before I get out of the car. If it says "in the woods under a log" I'm not even going to try. If it says "at the base of the Y shaped tree" that's a good sign that digging through 3' of snow will result in a find.

Pencils work well in the winter. I haven't tried some of the new pens they have yet though.