Where To Go?

Stump

For my birthday, my lovely wife, scheduled 2 days off and childcare so we can go away for 4 days. For our anniversary last summer we spent the weekend up in Port Townsend caching and other stuff. She had fun so we're going to do something like that again.

But she left the destination up to me. So my problem is where to go. I'm not interested in flying so it has to be in the Northwest.

Where would you go if you had 4 days to cache in mid-November with your wife?

I always enjoy doing a loop through eastern Washington. Tri Cities, and Wenatchee has some fun stuff. Canyon Crest in Yakima river canyon is a good one.

Another great spot is the coast. Nomad Damon at ocean shores. And Gem's dunkin one near westport (go through the woods, it was fun to get lost in the swamp).

Orrrr... the columbia gorge. Pipeline is one of the best there is.

My son has been treating me to a weekend away with some caching for my b-day the past couple of years. Last year we did Victoria BC, fun place to visit with lots of caches and other things to do. I loved it. The year before we went to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Again lots of fun especially finding Niskibum's caches. This year I'm head to B-ham and Vancouver area. Going over the North Cascade Hwy and looking forward to it. When I get back I can give more info on Vancouver caching. You might ask Halfcanadian about that. She has been a great help to me. :blink:

Edit: spelling

Edited by Patudles

If you can do it before the snow flys, how about the North Cascades / Okanogan / Sherman Pass cooridor. I did 3 days of caching from Colville back home along Highway 20. I really could have used a couple more days. I would have liked to spend at least a day in the Methow Valley and another day in the far Northeast Corner of the state.

Some caches that caught my attention

China Wall

Cougar Cache

Last spring, I drove from Tacoma to Reno and back. If I could do any geotrip again, it'd be that one. I went down in one day only hitting one cache, 'cause I had to be at a 10:00 p.m. wedding reception in Redmond WA Saturday and a 7:00 p.m. meeting in Reno on Sunday. I-5 to Weed, CA, then SR89 to SR 44 to US 395 to Reno. The SR89/SR44 stretch is gorgeous; US 395 stretch was very cool, too.

On the way back, I'd planned to take three days but did it in two. My route was US 395 from Reno to John Day, OR, then US 26 to the John Day Fossil Beds Monument, SR 19 into Fossil, SR 218 into Shaniko, US 97 down to the Columbia, back to I-5 and home.

The stretch of SR 19 just after you leave US 26 is one of the most amazing drives I've ever taken, in terms of natural beauty. It's comparable to the Yakima River canyon between Yakima and Ellensburg, but cooler.

Oh, and there's a sufficient number of caches on the way. See miles and miles of miles and miles at Honey Lake Rest Stop (archived). Meet the fossil keeper in Fossil at Digging Fossil. Underwear wonder under Hogback Summit at State Quarter. And of course, walk The Pipeline.

Thanks for the ideas.

I agree with the suggestions to check out the Grays Harbor caches; especially since a good number of those caches are mine. :lol: Damon a Nomad is best in August when it's warm or Jan/Feb when there are Snowy Owls out there.

I don't like Victoria and just did a bunch in Vancouver last spring.

Now I need to figure out if I want to go to Reno or Coeur d'Alene. I've heard good things about both of those drives but hadn't thought of them. Thanks!