Join Us In Dc On October 16th

JoeCthulhu

The 3rd Annual Capital Cache Walk, Saturday October 16th

N 38° 53.735 W 077° 02.525

Come join us at 9am and the posted coordinates for a geocaching walk around the National Mall And Tidal Basin.

The entire hike is about 8 miles, however you can join us and/or leave us at any time. Remember to wear comfortable shoes and bring water. The entire hike should take us 5 or so hours, depending on how many virtual geocaches we stop to visit along the way. There are about 35 or so along the route.

The route we will be following is the same as we did at last year’s event, and the same as I walked on 10-12-2002, if you want to check out my logs from that day (they’re numbered). Here is the URL from last year’s event, which was sanctioned by geocaching.com:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...de-69d58ce94848

This year the event is being endorsed by the Maryland Geocaching Society. Even though you won’t get a smiley for attending the event, you should be able to get quite a few from all of caches enroute. I’ve made this walk twice before, and there’ll still be one or two for me to find.

The wide sidewalks along the route make it perfect for a traveling geocaching seminar. If you’re a new geocacher looking for advise, an experienced geocacher who likes to retell of your adventures, or you just want to put some faces on some of the names you see in the logs, come on out and walk with us.

GPS receivers in hand, we’re quite a sight strolling past the seat of our countries government, it’s monuments and museums.

If you can’t make it right on time, no matter, send me an e-mail and I’ll send you my cell phone number and you can meet up with us enroute.

I’d also be happy to answer any questions you may have.

If you plan on attending, please let me know by replying here, at www.mdgps.org, or by sending me an e-mail."

I was on the one last year and had a blast! Met a lot of faces that I only knew by login ids and handles. Swapped a lot of caching stories, and went a lot of places that I probably would have never gone alone. Saw a lot of various geocaching technology first hand. I think last year's walk is when I decided to go paperless. Lots of info can be had by just asking questions of other cachers who seem to have these weird looking devices in their hands. ha ha ha

Don't know if I'll make it this year, but thanks for last year.

Gary

just make sure you have plenty of paper, plenty of recording space, or whatever because you'll probably have to write a LOT of stuff down to verify your finds. B)

JoeC: I'm sure all the virt owners enjoy this time of year when they get a ton of hits in one day! though i wonder if it's much more than they get on any typical busy weekend?

I wish I could be there but we're leaving for Me Saturday.  This non-event sounds like so much fun.  Much more than the picnic that the Md Geocache group is having.  I'd much rather talk and pick peoples brains while caching than sitting around eating.  I do hope you do another one of these walks, perhaps in the spring.

Terri

Typically we all arrive and talk about caching for an hour or so, meanwhile some are firing up the grill(s), still talking about caching. During this time, some are out caching, while talking to new and old friends about caching. Then we eat the food that was cooked while talking about caching, and we talk about caching while we eat that food. Then some stay at the pavilion and talk more about caching while others venture off to find the caches in the park. Many hours later, when everyone's done talking about caching and finding all the caches that are available, we all start to go home.

That's pretty much what we do at the picnics... I noticed you've not attended one before? You're more than welcome to come anyway, to see exactly what it is we do.

Edited by robert

Robert, thanks for the invite but we still won't be home from ME. We're spending a week up there visiting my husband's grandmothers, shopping at LL Bean and I'm talking to a school that wrote me while I was on duty for Operation Iraq Freedom. I guess my husband and I aren't real socialable. I can see him going; okay there are x number of caches in this park, let's find them and go home. If someone came with us, we'd talk. Otherwise, we have a tendency to sit by ourselves and only talk to people that come up to us. That's why group caching is more our style. While walking with a group, it's why does your GPS do whatever or don't you have to wait until your numbers catch up. At a picnic, the opportunity to talk and walk and find is harder to do than if you do a let's meet up and cache.

Terri

our club tends to be pretty sociable and very friendly. if you were sitting by yourself, lots of folks would approach and introduce themselves. I know I make it a point to stop and see everyone that's there. do I miss people on occasion? sure, but not intentionally. the days i'm most successful are the ones i'm "working the sign-in table". :lol:

this may be our last event of the year, but keep an eye out for more next spring, ok? :anibad:

hope you can make one... if you do, come find me, i'll introduce you, then everyone becomes a friend. :huh:

enjoy Maine!