Caching, Benchmarking & Flat Tires

Well, so far our tally is 2 flat tires while Geocaching & 1 flat while benchmark hunting.

We have found 86 caches total.

We have logged 374 benchmarks total.

I guess we should stick to benchmark hunting....cheaper. <_<

Has anyone else had as many flats?

Shirley~

One flat cost me $500. With all wheel drive, when you replace one, you have to replace them all and this puncture was too big to fix.

Blown fuse at one cache; It wiped out the entire dashboard, electric windows and AC, and it was over 90* out. Too dadgum hot when you can't even turn on the fan, or open any windows. But it still drove OK, except the odometer didn't rack up any miles either. No speedometer either and I was 60 miles from anywhere. Now I always have spare fuses.

And this happened at a cache in St Louis, in a dicey part of town.

Chain of Rocks Cache log

If you are getting a lot of flats, you might consider getting different tires. Those pretty Goodyears that came on your new car are too soft for use on rock roads and will tear easily if you make turns at high speeds in gravel.

Talk to a knowledgable tire guy (which I'm not) and by "knowledgable", I'm dismissing 90% of the guys who work at Sears/Nat'l Tire/Wal*Mart/etc. Find a service station owner or an independent tire store and ask them what you should get. You don't have to break the bank or get an uncomfortable tire, either. I replaced the four Goodyears that came with my pickup with better tires with a road hazard warranty for less than the cost of the Goodyears. Then again, I don't get the satisfaction of owning a set of Goodyears <_<

138-3839_img.jpg

I got this flat tire just after visiting this benchmark. The road leading to the benchmark is a dead-end, and it crosses a normally dry streambed. When I first went through the streambed, there was a little water from the light rain that was falling, and I could pick my way through the rocks in the bottom. After driving to the benchmark and heading back down to the main road, enough rain had fallen that the water was well over a foot deep and several feet wider, and my only choice was to barrel through it, but I cut the sidewall on one of the rocks 'cause I couldn't see them. Lemme tell you, changing a flat tire in the rain, on a dirt road, is no picnic (still quite a memorable experience, though). <_<