The New Icons

Squealy

Well, let's see... there's Mopar, Jeremy, Hydee, then there's CCCooper, Stayfloopy, BruceS, then there's Criminal, Renegade Knight and BrianSnat ...

On a more serious note, I've stated this previously in the forums:

"Welcome to the post-literate age."

Who needs to read when one can look at pretty little pictures?

Edited by BassoonPilot

I really don't use the web site pages that have been modified. I use PQs downloaded into GSAK and that's how I work with caches.

The only time I really go to the page with those icons on it is when I'm looking to hit a spot that's out of my closest 500.

The images are small so they won't take a lot of bandwidth, but I do think the page will get too busy soon. I don't think a text (such as the direction) and a graphic (such as the pointer) that both represent the same thing are necessary.

Darn - just looked and there's 3 new caches that are now the 3 closest to me!! And 1 where I was on Sunday in Ramapo - darn that Snat! :blink: No logged finds on any of them yet.

The only time I really go to the page with those icons on it is when I'm looking to hit a spot that's out of my closest 500.

Maybe I really don't understand what is going on here since I thought the "icons" were the little smiley faces etc. - exactly what icons are we talking about?

I assume the icons are the ones displayed on pages like http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?zip=07463

The direction graphic (N, S, E, W, etc) and the boxes with the red dot indicating the cache container size are new.

Maybe I really don't understand what is going on here since I thought the "icons" were the little smiley faces etc. - exactly what icons are we talking about?

I assume the icons are the ones displayed on pages like http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?zip=07463

The direction graphic (N, S, E, W, etc) and the boxes with the red dot indicating the cache container size are new.

Team DEMP - Thanks for that info. Those icons are new, but I like them. For all us illiterate users, we can see what size/type of cache it is without opening up the cache page.

The icons are OK, but the directional ones aren't working.  They are all pointing in the wrong directions.

The arrows seem to be pointing in the direction that the text direction indicates for me.

Assuming the text direction is correct, the arrows seem to be pointing in the appropriate direction for me.

Or were you kidding and commenting on how your computer isn't facing north, so the arrow isn't pointing in the appropriate position based on your computers direction. :laughing:

Edited by Team DEMP
The icons are OK, but the directional ones aren't working.  They are all pointing in the wrong directions.

The arrows seem to be pointing in the direction that the text direction indicates for me.

Assuming the text direction is correct, the arrows seem to be pointing in the appropriate direction for me.

Or were you kidding and commenting on how your computer isn't facing north, so the arrow isn't pointing in the appropriate position based on your computers direction. :laughing:

I'm sitting at my desk now and the arrow says north but its pointing south. Does this mean I'm going to have to turn my desk around?

Edited by briansnat
I'm sitting at my desk now and the arrow says north but its pointing south. Does this mean I'm going to have to turn my desk around?

Yes Brian. This was done to make it increasingly difficult for individual users who thought geocaching was too easy the traditional way. You know, the super smart ones.

I am going to start putting those same arrows on all the log books now to direct cachers to the nearest cache. Just so they can avoid having to bring their computer and desk to the field while caching.