On The Way To San Jose

Jeremy

My wife will be down in California on business, and I decided to go down to see her. While I'm there I'll have an opportunity to do some weekday caching.

I'm a high terrain cacher, used to 1,200ft to 3,000ft elevation gains, and I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for some high terrain caches that really spotlights the local area of San Jose. I've already created a couple of Pocket Queries, but there are quite a few to choose from.

Thanks!

My wife will be down in California on business, and I decided to go down to see her. While I'm there I'll have an opportunity to do some weekday caching.

I'm a high terrain cacher, used to 1,200ft to 3,000ft elevation gains, and I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for some high terrain caches that really spotlights the local area of San Jose. I've already created a couple of Pocket Queries, but there are quite a few to choose from.

Thanks!

GCHWQX, GC1641, GCFD1B, GCJH3X, GCJNJK, GCJWDV, and GCFEFC all come to mind as caches that involve pretty good altitude changes (In local terms) and they all are in interesting locations that provide good views of the Silicon Valley area. I'm sure that others will offer up additional possibilities.

GCJWDV in particular is in a very interesting park with a lot of history, and quite a lot of caches to show it off. There are several old mining structures and various equipment, a mine tunnel, tailings, etc. and it offers some very nice views of the area. There are a wide assortment of caches, from the generic ammo can to some really creative camoflage jobs that are sure to make for memorable finds. It's a good-sized park with many miles of trails. The elevation gains aren't enormous (max. about 600' depending on where you start) but the combination of views, caches and tangible history make it my top recommendation.

Well, I certainly don't need to do really high elevation gains. Longer hikes work as well. I just don't want to do drive by's and city park caches.

I'm willing to go an hour or so out as well.

Thanks for the ideas! Unfortunately my plans are fluid so I won't be able to have any firm schedule to stand by.

:blink: If I might suggest one of my own caches, GCGQPD is a pretty decent hike. If you are in for a good day of hiking, there is also GC1344 also in the park and could be included in the round trip. Some good elevation changes for this area. My cache does seems to get not founds, but it is always there when I go check on it. Signal reception is a challenge. I will be updating the hint to hopefully help out there.

I would second Nazgul's suggestion, it would be my first choice in San Jose. Quicksilver has a good assortment of caches, interesting hikes and destinations, good views and not a lamppost to be seen.

Second to that (only because of the heat) would be Mission Peak. Some great multis there and plenty of altitude (just don't want to kill you with heat stroke).

You can pick just about any of the county parks on the ridges above the valley and find some nice trails and caches...

None of these are hard to get to, so you could easily pick a couple of them if you have a whole day.

If you want to experience caching under the Giant Redwoods (GPS reception is ALWAYS a challenge), you can drive towards Santa Cruz (about 45 minutes from San Jose International Airport). Henry Cowell State Park and Fall Creek State Park have a variety of caches from micros to large ammo cans.

Some Fall Creek trails start at EL 300 ft and climb to almost 2000 ft.

Here are a couple of caches in Fall Creek:

Redwood Barely ThereGCG0WR at around 300 ft elevation

Big Ben GCH38Z at around 1900 ft elevation

Here are a couple in Henry Cowell.

Turkey Bash Cache (one end of Henry Cowell)

Nosey Neighbor

Buckeye

Cross the Creek (other end of Henry Cowell)

While some of these CAN be done as park and grabs, you can also choose to create some fairly difficult hikes by using the trails instead of the car.

There are several loop trails that climb steeply and also follow several creeks.

Some of these caches have interesting historical logging, railroad, and limestone quarry sites.

If it is HOT in San Jose, the Santa Cruz mountains offer a cooler alternative since these caches are under the giant Coastal Redwood trees.

If you want a good hike, hiking up Black Mountain from GCJW5E will give you a ~2000 ft gain and decent over 8-10 miles (can't remember exactly how long it is). I do it as a training hike with a backpack a couple of times a week. Once at the top of Black Mountain there are a bunch of caches in the general area. GCF66B is closest to the summit. Alternatively, you can hike in from the trailhead at GCJPKW. It's a much easier hike but there are more caches along the way.

Thanks!

You'd really miss out if you didn't hunt Wait Until Dark (GCG8QV). It's a drive you'll be thankful you took. Take your wife and Don't forget to pack a Flashlight!

You picked a good time to do that hike. A short while ago our normal daily highs were up in the 90s, and then over 100F for a while, and there's not much shade on those trails.

Monument Peak was one of my earliest finds and the location is still quite memorable. If you come back sometime during the rainy season, all those hills are green.

Glad you had a good time. Hopefully you can hit some more trails before heading home.

Sorry I missed this thread earlier. It's been a crazy week at work.

I would have second'd Sgt Stitches recommendations to head 45 minutes south to Henry Cowell/Fall Creek or maybe the Lexington area (althought I hear Quicksilver is great).

Jeremy, looks like I'll be back in Seattle next week. Maybe I'll ping you to see if you want to join TotemLake (and whoever else is on board) for a hike up Cougar Regional Mountain park in Issaquah (sp?).

Hope you enjoyed the visit to CA.

I would have second'd Sgt Stitches recommendations to head 45 minutes south to Henry Cowell/Fall Creek or maybe the Lexington area (althought I hear Quicksilver is great).

If you want the elevation gain, make sure to hike Almaden Quicksilver Mines by starting at the Hacienda trailhead. You can cool off when you get to the San Cristobal Mine shaft.

I'd been waiting for cooler weather to do Trifecta, but the sudden rainpour on Sunday wasn't exactly the kind of cooler weather I was planning on. Maybe this weekend?

Thanks everyone for some great recommendations! I know I'm supposed to be good at this (haha) but ended up with only 2 finds at Fall Creek when I could take some time to geocache.

I'm 90% sure at this point about hooking up with you, Kealia. I'll have to ask the boss first.

California geocaching was a blast, though I'm not used to seeing 12 caches along 10 miles of hiking. Usually I get 1 or 2 at the most.