Mountain Cache??

Your hill might be a "Nuttall". There is a comprehensive list of hills in lists at this site here which includes the more familiar Munros, Donalds and Corbetts.....

Nuttalls are hills in England which are at least 2000 feet high with (I think) at least 15m of reascent on each side. Now all you have to consider is whether a hill is a mountain. Often, even in Scotland, when asked "where have you been today?", you may get an answer "On the hill" which could mean any "hill" or "mountain". This can even extend to Everest if you were asked if you were at the base camp or "on the hill"

So how about calling it a hill which can be any height you like!

Request Hugh Grant to do your cache. By the time he gets back down from the hill it will be a mountain.  :(  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Actually the Victorians built a large cairn on Ben Lawers 3983ft, to take the height to 4000ft ensure it kept its head above 4000ft. This has not survived the passing years, and would not be counted towards the mountain's height even if it had.

B)

The Civil Aviation Authority, which is very pernickity about definitions and altitudes, defines a mountain as being 2,000' or more.

If civil aviation in the West were ever to go metric in altimetry, I guess they would change over to the British Mountaineering Council's definition of 600 metres.

Cheers, The Forester

In this case does it really matter if it is a mountain or a hill, it still hurts if you hit it!! B)B)B)

In this case does it really matter if it is a mountain or a hill, it still hurts if you hit it!!

That is exactly why they have a definition of mountain. Slightly different rules apply to flying in mountainous area from flying over the flatlands. The CAA is obsessed with definitions, especially with regard to altitudes (they don't call them heights).

You're quite right though about it hurting if you bump into them. There is one notorious cloud type which is known to pilots as CumuloGranite, otherwise known as a hard centred cloud. That stuff can mess up your whole day.

There's a wonderful Gary Larsen cartoon which shows two pilots peering through the clag. Directly ahead of them is a mountain goat. The caption reads: "Say, what's a mountain goat doing way up here in a cloud bank?"

Cheers, The Forester

There isn't a type cache as a "Mountain Cache" you could always rename your cache to "Shirfare's Point - Mountain Cache". Dont think we need a new type for caches over 2000ft as the Difficulty / Terrain should reflect this.

Snaik

Yep, I think I can agree with Snaik on this. There are a lot of caches that are officially on mountains. So far no one has had a problem with noticing that the cache is a bloody long way up. :laughing::P

Dont think we need a new type for caches over 2000ft as the Difficulty / Terrain should reflect this.

Very slightly off-topic, but I've always thought the the person who sets the cache is one of the least suitable to assess the difficulty.

I think a better way to "score" the difficulty of terrain and finding would be for all the finders who log find to 'vote' their preferred number of stars. The average of all the votes would be a good indicator of what level of difficulty the average geocacher might expect.

For an ex-military man, or an MRT-trained mountain guide, or a very fit geocaching couple such as FoF/Roolku, a cachesite which might banjax the ordinary geocacher might seem to be very easy. By averaging out the opinions of many cache-loggers, a better balance of opinions could be formed.

Cheers, The Forester

For an ex-military man, or an MRT-trained mountain guide, or a very fit geocaching couple such as FoF/Roolku,

I guess I must have made up the ex-military man, for the threesome that we had last week. Perhaps Highland Nick can come along next time to make up the MRT-trained mountain guide part. :D:D:(

I suppose this is the innevitable thing to happen when you get together for a days caching. :(:(

People get the wrong idea :(:(

I think a better way to "score" the difficulty of terrain and finding would be for all the finders who log  find to 'vote' their preferred number of stars.  The average of all the votes would be a good indicator of what level of difficulty the average geocacher might expect.

Just a suggestion would be to grade the route to a cache! if it is in Wild Country!

Grade 1 - An easy walk over straightforward ground with no significant height gain or loss.

Grade 2 - A walk over more uneven ground or with more strenous objective factors such as height gain or loss.

Grade 3 - A walk with more severe height gain or loss. Navigation skills may be required. Harder terrain. In mountainous areas some scrambling may be required.

Grade 4 - Significant height gain or loss. Harder navigation particularly in poor weather. More remote or at least a less popular route perhaps so help may be harder to get if you get into trouble. Navigation skills may be required or navigation may be harder. In mountainous areas scrambling may be required, or some routes exposed. Poor or intermittent mobile phone signal

Grade 5 - Much more serious walking proposition. Significant height gain or loss. Perhaps significant navigation required. In mountainous areas the routes would require scrambling. Perhaps significant objective considerations such as exposed routes, potential for severe weather changes. Little or no assistance available locally if problems arise. No mobile phone signal.

If the Cache Page has the Handicaching Logo it gives you a chance to rate the Cache, you can then work out an average rating for the cache from the Handicache Rating.

:o

Edited: due to spolling mostooks du to Beans still in Keyboard :D

Edited by Snaik

or a very fit geocaching couple such as FoF/Roolku

The Forester is clearly much more knowledgeable than the rest of us, as he knows things that noone else does!! 

Hmmm, go out caching for a day with two guys, ergo I must be having a relationship with one of them. Logical innit? 

:o:D:lol:

Just had a big giggle when I realised the caching name of the person who started this thread!! What an appropriate thread for this nonsense! :D:lol::lol:

Apologies to the author of the thread for taking it so far off topic!