Well, Is This Ok For A First Cache?

crash331

I got it all together tonight after I finished tagging my TB. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure this cache was good for something I threw together with stuff around the house and Walmart toys.

The container is a .50 cal ammo can, the contents include:

ziplock#1

A log book

2 pens

ziplock #2

A ball-bearing maze game

some stamps from Hong Kong

a trading card

a trinket i got from work..some kinda plug

an air freshener for a car

a "spy Supersonic Ear" keycahin

a card game

ziplock #3

Leo the Loney TB

ziplock #4

3 copies of a CD of shareware games for the PC

2 Playstation 1 games

What do you think?

I'd go to the spot where you want to hide it, get the coords, then submit the cache. If it is approved, place it ASAP.

Just make sure to make a reviewer note telling the reviewer that the cache will be placed pending approval. That way you can place it before it is activated.

If you're already going there to get the coordinates, I'd suggest just placing the cache while you're at it. Provided that your submission meets all the guidelines, that'll save you another trip out there once it gets approved.

What exactly is the approval process? I have heard alot of people talk about it. Does an approver actually visit the site?

No, the approver doesn't actually visit the site. Since many approvers cover several states, that would be logistically impossible.

What they do look for is, does it meet the guidelines? Is it located someplace where caches are not permitted, clearly on private property, or close to a railroad track? Is it too close to another cache? Is it within your normal caching area so you can maintain it properly?

Expect that your cache may take a few days to get looked at. The approvers are all volunteers, and they do this in their spare time. Also, providing as much information as you can up front (i.e., it looks like it's close to the railroad tracks on the map but it's really 400 feet away, or it's on private property but you do have permission from the landowner) will help in the approval process. Don't fret if the approver has a few questions; they are there to help get your cache approved, but they have to make sure it's in an appropriate location.

Good luck! :rolleyes:

Nobody has time to visit the sites. I had one of my caches approved within a couple of hours of placing it. It was the middle of the week. I placed it on the way home from work. Another cache had previously been in the park but had been missing for some time.

The review will read your cache page, study any notes you leave in the reviewer notes message and research to be sure the cache is not to close to another cache, a school, railroad trackes, etc. Also will check if it is covered by a blanket permission unless you note that you have personally received permission to place the cache (if so, then so state in the reviewer note).

After that you wait for the reviewers to work through whatever backlog they may have. In themiddle of the week there may not be a backlog.

I'm gonna place it on my Grandmother's land in an old cow pasture. There are no cows in it now, though, and the fence is partially taken down, so I don't presume there will be any problems.

I don't think there will be a problem either; however, since it is private property, be sure to explain that the cache is on land owned by a family member and (very important) make sure you confirm that you have permission to place the cache in your Reviewer Note.

The reason I suggested waiting to place it is because if it doesn't get approved, you'd have to go retrieve it. Seeing as how you already have permission (i'm assuming) and that it is not on land where a geocache is forbidden, then go ahead and hide the puppy.

My initial concern was that if you put a lot of work into it and it got rejected, then you'd have more work retrieving it. It happens. Sometimes land seems OK but ends up being restricted one way or another. This is clearly a different situation.

The reason I suggested waiting to place it is because if it doesn't get approved, you'd have to go retrieve it. Seeing as how you already have permission (i'm assuming) and that it is not on land where a geocache is forbidden, then go ahead and hide the puppy.

My initial concern was that if you put a lot of work into it and it got rejected, then you'd have more work retrieving it. It happens. Sometimes land seems OK but ends up being restricted one way or another. This is clearly a different situation.

Certainly a good point. If it's in a questionable area, then it's definitely advisable to seek permission first before placing the cache.

I just prefer to go by the optimistic assumption that my cache will be approved. :rolleyes:

Do I need to hide it and then wait for it to get approved, or can I go ahead and get it started now and hide it tomorrow or this weekend?

I dont know the coordinates yet, but I do know the location.

I'm working on my first cache approval now, so I don't completely understand how it works.

But, on the submission form there's a check box that says “Yes, this cache is currently active.” If you fail to check the box saying it’s ready to go it also says, “The reviewers will not see this listing until you [check the box].”

This says to me the cache must be in place to get approval. If you say it is when it isn’t and it gets approved before you place it you may tick off some FTF (first to find) eager beavers who'll dash out to find it as soon as it's approved.

I think the cache should be in place prior to being submitted for approval. Sometimes, when a cache is "routine" and the reviewer is looking for something to do, approval might occur in mere minutes!

I also know one fellow who would sometimes hide caches and then wait MONTHS before submitting them for approval. I believe he was "letting nature take its course."

I think the cache should be in place prior to being submitted for approval.  Sometimes, when a cache is "routine" and the reviewer is looking for something to do, approval might occur in mere minutes!

I agree with BP. Its a good idea for the cache to be in place before submission. That way you don't have to run out at 5 am to place it, if the approval comes faster than you expected (which happened to me once).

Your cache seems to be a good start. You have a quality container and what appears to be decent contents, but the real key to a quality cache is location. You could fill your cache with wonderful stuff, but if you stick it in a debris strewn lot behind the Walmart it's still going to be a lame cache.

Look for an area that's interesting in some way. It doesn't have to be a breathtaking view, though that is nice. Just a pretty place in the forest will do, perhaps in an interesting rock formation, or quiet area next to a stream...or at the end of a pleasant hike.

When you place it, think of why you want to draw people there. If its not a place that YOU would want to visit again, then why would you expect others to enjoy the experience?

Edit: You might want to ditch the air freshener. Heavily scented items might attract animals. Even if packaged so humans can't smell it, it still may draw the attention of animals. Though you're using an ammo box, which is virtually animal proof, its still a good practice to avoid scented items in caches, if only to keep from sending the message to other novices that its OK.

Edited by briansnat

We searched for an approved cache once that the owner had not placed yet! That was irritating, but they were noobs and apologized. How on earth can you report a cache that's not there? Also, it's not a good idea to put the pens, pencils in the same ziplock as the logbook. When people smoosh the baggy back in the cache container, the pencil can puncture the baggy turning it into a potential logbook swimmin'hole. Cache on and have FUN!!!! :rolleyes:

Do I need to hide it and then wait for it to get approved, or can I go ahead and get it started now and hide it tomorrow or this weekend?

I always place the cache first. My best approval time was 2 hours. Usually less than 48, and once 3 days. But on the 2-hr. one, the approval process had already been through the Head Ranger and the City Council, so I had a policy in my hand. There is an "active" box that you need to check when you submit it. Some people delay their release by covering that with the approver.

:rolleyes: Separate issue: private land. People will naturally resist entering private property. They should. What is normal, I think, is to have some sort of "access note" which can be printed and carried along. Then everyone feels better. The cache page will do if it has a sentence or two on it.

I didn't think the animals could smell the air freshener because it's one of those trusty pine tree fresheners that you hang on your rear view mirror sealed in it's original packaging.

But I guess animals can smell better than humans, so I'll go ahead and take it out.

I'm hoping there won't be any animals that ferocious out there, though, since this is where I grew up and having bears in the backyard would be scary! The worst I have ever seen is deer and rabbits.