Best Handheld Portable

crabtrees

Yes.

This is not a smart-*** reply, it is a PC reply to this thread. In an attempt not to offend either Magellan, Garmin or Lowrance users I simply replied with an answer of "Yes."

I can't speak for the Garmin, but if you look at the Sportrak Color, make sure to try it outside in daylight. It sort of washes out in bright light, like PocketPCs do. It's still readable, but you have to strain a little. I'll stick with my B&W Sportrak Pro.

Edited by Jeeters

I just got my Garmin 60C, and couldn't be happier. Really comfortable size, easy to use, lots of memory (although not as much as the 76), easy to see the display in any lighting conditions. For me, the size and feel of the 60C compensates for slightly less memory compared to the 76. I just got City Select NA v6 and US topo to download on-road and off road maps, and plan to do lots of caching this weekend.

I am having a great time with this unit (until the credit card bill arrives). In the meantime I'm looking for a cache with cash, and rummaging around in my sofa cushions.

Many cachers rave about the Legend, and the new Legend C is supposed to have a great display. You may want to search the forums for that.

I bought a Vista C and had it for a week before returning it to buy a 60CS. I liked the 60cs more because of the additional memory, better antenna and the buttons were easier to use/access.

The Vista C was really cool if you are looking for a small unit and don't need a lot of memory.

Good luck!

I recently did research on the best consumer grade handheld GPS receivers. The Garmin 76C or 76CS came out on top. We went with the Garmin 76C and are very happy with it. Beautiful screen even in sunlight, large amount of memory, easy to use. The only drawback that I have found is that it is pricey!