Sweet!!!

Dagg

Magellan has added an online map viewer (like Garmin has had for a long time) as well.  It doesn't have MapSend Topo Canada yet, so I will wait for that before I order.

It now includes Mapsend Topo Canada

It seems to have a new location: Map Viewer

The old link still works, but doesn't offer as many maps.

Based on a quick look the Magellan maps appear to have a 30m interval between contour lines, where the Garmin maps have 25ft between lines. 30m intervals is way too infrequent IMHO. Hopefully there is more detail in the actual product than the online viewer shows. For example if you look at Athabasca, AB on the Garmin map you can see that the north river bank is a VERY steep rise of about 125 ft and then it flattens out for the most part. The Magellan map gives no good indication of this slope as the first topo line is about 300-400m from the river. Clicking on the Magellan map from the river to the topo line gives incorrect (Interpolated?) elevations indicating that there is a steady rise from the river to the contour line. If I am buying a topo map a steep slope like this is exactly the kind of thing I want to be able to clearly see.

On the other hand the Magellan topo appears to have lots of POIs. This map also appears to have more road detail than the S&D map, at least in some rural areas, so it may be worth the upgrade even if the topo is lacking.

The Mapsend topo does at least have the rivers and streams that are missing in S&D Canada which is helpful when navigating to a cache. Contours aren't much help (not that there are many contours round this area anyway). In comparing Mapsend Topo Canada, Mapsource and S&T, Mapsend looks pretty good, although not as up to date as S&T 2005, at least around here. One thing I did note is that the data must be sourced from the same place as all have the same errors. Roads spelt wrong for example. A school here is in the wrong place (by several miles) on all three maps. In checking the coordinates, the longtitude is right but the latitude is out by 8 minutes. Looks like someone made a typo originally and it has propagated through all the maps.

Quote: [The Mapsend topo does at least have the rivers and streams that are missing in S&D Canada which is helpful when navigating to a cache. Contours aren't much help (not that there are many contours round this area anyway). Comparing Mapsend Topo Canada, Mapsource and S&T, Mapsend looks pretty good, although not as up to date as S&T 2005, at least around here.]

_____

:laughing: I looked on the line on the Garmin Maps and I am not sure I will buy it. After I compared with SoftMap which provide maps from Canadian Topo maps (from Government). I saw the region of Mont Gosford, near the frontier in the south of Quebec. Rivers and streams are there, but the small roads arent not on the map. All roads and trails are on the maps of SotfMap. I compared with another region, in the mountains in the north of Quebec City. I had the same regret: trails are on SoftMap'maps but are not on Mapsent's topo.

:) In addition, this software provide maps at the 1: 50 000 and at the 1: 20 000 scale with one clic of your mouse.

Unfortunately, the SoftMap'maps cost about 80.00 $ for one region and for one scale (Quebec is divides in five regions, but I dont need them all. Maritimes provinces are on one CD for 80.00 $.

:P Unfortunately, I cannot download maps on my Garmin. I would be able on a Palm.

Voilà ma réflexion.

Goog walks in the forest.

Jacques

Edited by plein air