September's Issue Of Today's Cacher...

Pyewacket

The September issue of Today's Cacher is available for your reading pleasure. We're proud to announce our new subscription service; be sure to sign up for our mailing list to be kept abreast of news and updates! Lots of other new features and surprises have been added this month, too. Be sure to grab our banner at the bottom of the index if you'd like to link your blog or web site to Today's Cacher.

Check it out at a newstand...or browser...near you!

Nice Job!

The latest issue of "Today's Cacher" looks awesome!

Thanks for all of the hard work you guys must put in producing this valuable resource for the geocaching community.

I just subscribed, and love my new football phone! :P

nfa

Edited by NFA

The cover this month is awesome. The magazine just keeps getting better and better, but then again I'm biased. :P BTW, the magaizine is very interested in being apart of all the local geocaching groups. We are interested in getting more exposure through the various local and regional geocaching organizations and we are also interested in providing your group exposure in the magazine. This is your magazine folks, we want it to be a reflexion of all the unique and great people that make up the world of geocaching.com. It is my understanding that the magazine will start highlighting each of the various geocaching organizations, probably a month at a time. In return, (there is always a catch, hehe) we are asking that each geo-organization put the 'Today's Cacher' link on your website to help further promote the magazine and the people it represents. Myself or one of the other staff of Today's Cacher will be contacing your group very soon to further discuss this opportunity. Until then, please feel free to contact me. Thanks and happy caching.

PS - hopefully this promotion is not breaking any of the rules in the forums, if so, my apologies.

PS - hopefully this promotion is not breaking any of the rules in the forums, if so, my apologies.

I don't know if it violates any forum rules, but I would like to put-in my $0.02 on the subject and ask some questions.

Myself or one of the other staff of Today's Cacher will be contacing your group very soon to further discuss this opportunity.

How do you plan on contacting our groups and whom within the groups will you contact? Where will you get this contact info? From our group web sites or elsewhere?

I love geocaching and can and will do everything within my power to promote it, but speaking as the webmaster of the Alabama Geocachers Assn (and that holds no real power or authority for our group), I don't like the idea that you would only do an article on our association if we put a link to your commercial e-zine.

To date, we have purposely kept our site very non-commercial with one execption from a local GPS dealer that offers some very good pricing to our members and is local to our state.

I would love to see an article about the AGA in the e-zine, but I would want you to do the article based on the fact that we have won-over a state park to geocaching when the rangers were threatening to pull all the geocaches in the park and possibly fine the hiders... or an article about the CITO events we've done... our about anyone of the numerous other things we have done for the local community. I would hate to think that you would not do an article on our association or any other group just because they might not want to link to your web site.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the e-zine and highly respect ALL of you that are involved in producing it. I just don't like the fact that you are saying you would only do an article on our (and others) worthy association in return for a link to your commercial e-zine. After all, all the TV and newspaper stories in which we have been featured did not require this and in fact it was just the opposite. They provided links to US.

Anyways, I feel better having said my $0.02. I am merely the webmaster for the AGA and I do as our membership directs me. I just hope you might take a few minutes to read and ponder what I wrote and understand that it's not really fair to only offer an article about a group in return for free advertising. Happy geocaching!

I would hate to think that you would not do an article on our association or any other group just because they might not want to link to your web site.

Don't worry, we are only asking for you to provide a link to Today's Cacher . It's up to you whether you want to promote the magazine that is all about the sport we all love. We still plan to run stories about the people and organizations that make up this wonderful sport regardless of any publicity for the magazine that you may want to consider. Hope that explains our intentions a little better. :P

Jeff, I appreciate your concerns. Of course, a link to Today's Cacher is certainly appreciated, but by no means is it mandatory. Yes, it's a reciprocal measure of advertising, if you will, our prospective sites, but it's not a prerequisite.

The Local Focus section of Today's Cacher was originally implemented to spotlight local organizations; as editor of that section, I was hoping that members of such groups would contact me in order to feature a focus on said group. That hasn't happened yet, but we're making a fervent effort to change that.

Our process of contacting other cachers concerning articles is varied; we may post in the forums, looking for participants, or email them directly when we feel that someone has an interesting story to tell. We also receive leads from other cachers who know of a unique caching experience, locale, or cacher of note. There are so many stories of which we're not aware, that may only be known to a local group. In a case like that, we hope that cachers will contact us using any of the available links in the e-zine.

The work you and the other members of the AGA do towards promoting geocaching, and creating a healthy attitude for all concerned, is quite admirable, indeed. If you're interested in spotlighting the AGA, no strings attached, please feel free to contact me, either through Today's Cacher, or my caching profile. I look forward to hearing from you.

Tee

Asst. Editor-in-Chief

Of course, a link to Today's Cacher is certainly appreciated, but by no means is it mandatory. Yes, it's a reciprocal measure of advertising, if you will, our prospective sites, but it's not a prerequisite.

Good deal, I was just really concerned that from reading the posts in the threads that local groups would be required to post a link to the e-zine in return for an article.

I hope you didn't take offense to what I was asking. I just wanted/needed clarification. As I previously stated, I like the e-zine and always look forward to the always humorous quips from Criminal :P

There are many of us within the AGA that are fairly well versed in promoting our association to the media. Should you desire to speak with some of us, please feel free to contact our public information officer, Mr. Ed Manley aka TheAlabamaRambler via email at thealabamarambler@alacache.com

Keep up the good work with the e-zine!

There are many of us within the AGA that are fairly well versed in promoting our association to the media. Should you desire to speak with some of us, please feel free to contact our public information officer, Mr. Ed Manley aka TheAlabamaRambler via email at thealabamarambler@alacache.com

Tar? Make that lazy git get up and contact me! :D

I'm kidding...Mr. Manley and I are pals...kindrid spirits, so to speak. Caching has introduced me to so many amazing people, and Today's Cacher has intensified my caching relationships and acceptance. :P

How about a "geocaching food and drink...what cachers eat and drink while hunting, and what they should be eating and drinking" article.

I have the best intentions, but often end up with food and drink I can buy at gas stations...am I unique in this?

Does anyone have the perfect geocaching/travel food/drink solution(s)?

nfa

I liked the photos of the cache containers, but the one that is noted as being made for a railroad bridge surprised me. I thought one like that wouldn't be approved for sure. I hope someone doesn't see a cacher and call the police - it's happened before.

And I'm especially surprised that it would be displayed in THE geocaching magazine as a good idea for a cache container.

Somebody not paying attention somewhere?

I liked the photos of the cache containers, but the one that is noted as being made for a railroad bridge surprised me. I thought one like that wouldn't be approved for sure. I hope someone doesn't see a cacher and call the police - it's happened before.

And I'm especially surprised that it would be displayed in THE geocaching magazine as a good idea for a cache container.

We have several railroad bridges in Nebraska that were converted to use on trails. Basically when the tracks are taken out, the bridge is kept and converted for trail use.

How about a "geocaching food and drink...what cachers eat and drink while hunting, and what they should be eating and drinking" article.

I have the best intentions, but often end up with food and drink I can buy at gas stations...am I unique in this?

Does anyone have the perfect geocaching/travel food/drink solution(s)?

nfa

Yes, you are unique.

Nobody else has ever gone out for just one multicache in the morning, and gotten hung up at stage two, and finished up at 2:00 p.m., bruised, sweaty and starving, so that they beeline to the nearest fast food joint instead of going home to eat their usual healthy salad.

Nobody else has ever said "just one more cache" and all of the sudden it's dark out and they're famished, but too pooped to cook.

Nobody else has ever gotten tired during a geocaching road trip, and stopped at four different Starbucks, convenience stores and drive through windows for another cup of coffee.

Nobody else has called home on the cellphone and said "don't bother holding dinner, I took longer than expected and it's a three mile hike back to the car, I will grab something on the way home."

If this sort of thing is really happening to you, perhaps an article would be useful. :lol:

It is a good cache container if it's hidden in a location such as Carleen suggested. Today's Cacher isn't responsible for approving caches, and we don't know where this particular cache will be hidden. We certainly hope that the hider adheres to the rules and guidelines. We simply chose to include a cache container that we felt was interesting and clever, and can't be held responsible for any actions the cacher chooses to take.

We have several railroad bridges in Nebraska that were converted to use on trails.

Here in Georgia, the Silver Comet trail, is an old railroad bed converted to a trail and it has a cool bridge/tressel on it, which use to have a nearby geocache. Maybe I should steal the design and put it there.

Edited by AllenLacy

I certainly wasn't! Even though I'm the publisher of the magazine I don't preview the articles. I wan't to read and react to it the same way our readers do. It helps give us guidance for future issues. I trust my editors to pay attention, and they always do.

Now as far as the cache container goes...maybe an approver out there could..and probably will correct me if I'm wrong. If you have a trestle that spans a river or a gorge, is it appropriate to place such a container at the base of this trestle? I know there are rules against placing caches near tracks, and I believe the spirit of the rule was to keep people from accidently being hit by a train. However if the tracks are 100 feet above you, does the same rule apply? I've seen many caches placed under hiway bridges. Wouldn't this be the same?

El Diablo

I do a lot for Today's Cacher, but it's still every bit a group endeavor, and wouldn't be what it is without the entire staff, as well as the stories and articles that we receive by other cachers. Though I may have coded much of the content for the pages for September, with sept1c_tank's assistance, our webmaster, Sean (aka GeoWorms) is the quiet one in the back; he's the one who keeps the site up and running in addition to adding the mondo features such as the email list and writing the content for the CSS, which makes creating the issue every month that much easier.

But yeah, the pay is great. :o

Jerry, can I have a raise? ;)

and I believe the spirit of the rule was to keep people from accidently being hit by a train. However if the tracks are 100 feet above you, does the same rule apply?

I think part of the reason was that RR tracks are private property and you can be arrested for trespassing if you are on them. Another reason was that RR tracks are a particularly bad place to put something that might appear suspicious to some.

I think for those reasons bridge supports might also be considered a bad idea.

That being said, abandoned RR bridges and rails to trails bridges shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by briansnat
We have several railroad bridges in Nebraska that were converted to use on trails.

Here in Georgia, the Silver Comet trail, is an old railroad bed converted to a trail and it has a cool bridge/tressel on it, which use to have a nearby geocache. Maybe I should steal the design and put it there.

Yep! That is exactly the type of place where it would be OK and be a cool cache!