T5 Caches

Zai-Ba

I used to make a T5 Cache about 12m high in a tree. It is declared as climbing cache. You need some experience in technical climbing to reach the first branch (8m).

Some days ago someone made this cache and wrote he did it solo. Fortunately it was just a missunderstanding, this guy was still secured.

What if someone does it unsecured and falls? I know, that I dont have to fear legal cosequencies, but never the less it was me who made this cache, so it's somehow my fault, too.

waiting for your opinion, Zai-Ba

Can you say, KNOW YOUR LIMITS ! :rolleyes:

That's what the rating system is for ?????? Is't it !!!! :huh:

The "Old Saying Goes " --- Don't send a child to do a man's job. :huh:

Caches rated like this should "ONLY" be done with the "BUDDY SYSTEM" !

Stay within your limits! It would be sad to hear, someone got hurt or died while caching. Cache Safely :unsure: SF1

Excellent point CYBret!

Caching in Indiana does not pose some of the environmental hazards as some areas, however, you just have to be smart about what you're doing and stay safe. Last weekend I found myself hanging on the side of a hill for about the 4th that day thinking I would surely fall to my death playing this game. I reminded myself to slow down and raise my awareness of my surroundings and what I was doing.

Please be careful!

Strohem

The disclaimer page really only says Groundspeak et al aren't liable, unless cache placers would count as agents, which I doubt.

You could always put some sort of notice on your cache listing, that's what I did.

"There are several ways to get to the first stage and depending on which you take, you will need to turn around on a narrow forest road. You'll not want a very long wheelbase, or you will have to continue on a very rough road to find a better turn around spot (I've no idea how far that might be). My Discovery made the u-turn with no problem, but make yours at your own risk."

If someone doesn't heed my warning, or is not careful, they could end up "traveling" down an extremely steep and long-way-down mountain side.

If I were you, I wouldn't consider someone hurting themselves as your fault, even in part, unless you purposely place a cache in a place with hidden dangers, like a rattlesnake nest, or something like that. If it's 12m up a tree, it's pretty obvious that one could get hurt if they aren't careful.

We have a 5/5 cache out there, and IndianaLee was kind enough to let us modify his disclaimer:

DISCLAIMER:

You are attempting this geocache hunt of your own free will and volition; you have not been coerced in any way by "Sissy", "CoyoteRed" or anyone at Geocaching.com, even though this was designed and implemented by a girl, "Sissy." If you are placed in any danger, sickness, compromising situation or injured due to the actions of yourself, other people, wild or domestic animals or the natural and manmade environment around you—you must take care of yourself and your problems—we are not at fault—remember, it was your CHOICE to go on this hunt and it is your CHOICE to participate in the sport of Geocaching.

Please do not limit the rest of us to lowest common denominator caches. Keep the challenging one and realize that it cannot be your responsibility to babysit other grown-ups. (Besides, isn't that why we have the Darwin Awards? :lol: )

Edited by Sissy-n-CR