Hurricane Charley

mikemjm

I am feeling kinda bummed out. I made it through Charley in rural Hardee County Florida. I wonder if the few caches in Hardee are still there.

Not really sure if this is an appropriate topic. I know what it is to have a tree fall on my training center for adults with disabilites. But we are making it through. I had previously been training some of our clients in the art of geocaching and using the GPS.

I guess it is time to get back to trying caching again. But when I look around at the destruction in Zolfo Springs and Wauchula, I wonder what is important and what is not. Thanks for letting me vent a little. I am thankful to have survived with my home intact.

Mike

Log entries for some of the areas which were hit indicate that cashes were ruined, either by high winds or flooding. As long as it's safe to do so, going out and checking on caches is a great idea, assuming there are not greater priorities. These caches could use the reassuring visits logged to them. Even "did not find' logs can clue cache placers to visit their caches if they need maintaining.

Additionally, geocaching is a wonderful activity which requires us to visit new places, embracing the world instead of hiding from it within the confines of our own comfort zones.

I am in Lee County and we got hit very hard by Charley as well.

As soon as we got the house settled (temporary repairs until final fixes can be done and got electricity back), I started going around and visiting all the caches in my local area. I had found all of them a long time ago but I didn't mind going back and re-finding them and assessing their condition.

What I found, much to my surprise, is that most of the caches survived well! Especially the micros! Velcro is truely amazing! The most I needed to do for some of the caches was replace their camoflage cover which was blown down or away. I even added a "Hurricane Cache graphic" (actually Isono Karst gets credit for making the graphic) to each of these hardy caches.

7ca63264-4ca0-47dc-95ac-c0dcd24c09da.jpg

As soon as we got the house settled (temporary repairs until final fixes can be done and got electricity back), I started going around and visiting all the caches in my local area. I had found all of them a long time ago but I didn't mind going back and re-finding them and assessing their condition.

What I found, much to my surprise, is that most of the caches survived well! Especially the micros! Velcro is truely amazing! The most I needed to do for some of the caches was replace their camoflage cover which was blown down or away. I even added a "Hurricane Cache graphic" (actually Isono Karst gets credit for making the graphic) to each of these hardy caches.

great idea. My uncle was on a rescue crew in port charleston. I was kinda aqskin the sasme question but since hes a geomuggle....... anyway again great sticked and i applaud you for taking the time to reasses the caches

I have friends in Punta Gorda. They survived by heading to Fort Lauderdale while everyone else headed for Orlando, only to be hit by Charley there. When they returned, they found they had lost the roof on their office building, and at home they were lucky to find only their lanai gone, twisted up in a tree with the neighbor's lanai. Their other neighbors were not so lucky, two lost their roofs, and one lost the whole house. Natural disasters can be so scary and life threatening. To survive is one thing, to make it through mentally unscathed takes courage and strength. I agree that caching would be good therapy. Bring others with you, perform trail maintenance, pick up some debris. Give yourself a pick-me-up that will make you feel good and useful. Talk it out with others who have gone through it. Perhaps your fellow geocachers could pitch in and help other cachers, or neighbors, who have been hit really hard, by having clean ups at their homes. I hope you find some sunshine soon. You are alive, and everything in the house is just stuff.

That's a cool idea. It's neat to know that some caches are placed in such away that they won't be washed away.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. One's health and family are most important to us all. Things can be replaced.

Friends, work, and our daily routnine give us a sense of getting back into the mainstream of things. Feeling connected and encouraged through forums such as this help us all in a feeling of connectiveness.

The hurricane graphic is a wonderful idea. Shows a lot of creativity and sort of reinforces the idea of staying out the course and rebuilding.

I must also let you all know that we in the hurricane impacted areas really do appreciate all the volunteers that have come to us and helped so many ways. Thanks to all for assisting and for thinking of us.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. One's health and family are most important to us all. Things can be replaced.

Friends, work, and our daily routnine give us a sense of getting back into the mainstream of things. Feeling connected and encouraged through forums such as this help us all in a feeling of connectiveness.

The hurricane graphic is a wonderful idea. Shows a lot of creativity and sort of reinforces the idea of staying out the course and rebuilding.

I must also let you all know that we in the hurricane impacted areas really do appreciate all the volunteers that have come to us and helped so many ways. Thanks to all for assisting and for thinking of us.

Well, we're in Miami waiting for the incredibly SLOW Frances. A few people have taken down some, but I'm not sure about the cache rich areas of Brevard and West Palm Beach. We have caches in Melbourne. Actually we were planning to come to Melbourne this weekend to pick up a series of caches we have and move them to Miami, but looks like we will be going next week to asses cache damage!

We have relatives in Bowling Green and I lived there for a bit and worked at the Kash N Karry when it first opened. My Aunt sent up some news papers and I see KNK survived as did you! Stay positive and when things get to be a little much get out there and Geocache, or you could have a worse problems on your hands like geowithdrawel. Hope all goes well and happy hunting.