Greetings from a "Myst" fan!

linkerjpatrick

I'm new here and hope to start Geocaching as soon as I get a GPS device. I'm really excited about this! Here is my story of how I found out about Geocaching;

I'm a big fan of the games created by CyanWorlds, Inc. (Myst, Riven, realMyst) Now they have been working on a huge project the will be a multiplayer online game and it's currently code named "mudpie" and the main part is supposed to take part in the underground city ruins of D'ni and people will link to other ages from there but that's all most people know for now.

Well two threads on those boards got me interested and aware of Geocaching;

1.) One asking "What do we do while we wait" Well most people were suggesting other computer games but I suggested they get outside and explore for a change. Someone else replied and said I would be interested in Geocaching.

2.) A mysterious person has posted cryptic messages and appears to have hacked the board from time to time (Everyone pretty much asumes that it's just Cyan creating a character to make things interesting and drop clues about the future game.) Of course don't let that out because they like you to be "in character" at the http://www.drcsite.org

webboards as if you were involved in the game already (which is reported going to be released in 2003 sometime) Well the mysterious person's user name is "Zandi" and he has given the GPS cordinates of

N 32 degrees 17.997

W 104 degrees 16.448

We have looked at maps and satellite photos and it appears to be somewhere south of Carlsbad, NM and maybe is located at a windmill there. We would love to have a photo of the area around that location of anyone is in the area can you help us out?

Well, needless to say I have looked over the geocaching website and my wife and I are very interested in exploring more around us and finding the treasures. However I'm trying to find a good deal for a reciever at eBay instead of paying full retail.

Hope to be Caching with you all soon! Wohba! icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Create an Unknown/Surprise cache with these coordinates and explain what it is (and how it came about). In less than two shakes of a cats tail I bet someone will go check it out.

There are also several people on the Geodashing mailing list who hail from that general area. You can ping them at www.geodashing.org.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Majicman, you are no longer one good looking dude. You were when you were a girl. I hope your wife doesn't mind me saying so. icon_eek.gif

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

[This message was edited by Criminal on July 23, 2002 at 12:59 PM.]

Oh Yes! Please help. We need someone to go to those coordinates and explore the area thoroughly. We need them to take pictures of the area and note anything unusual. Some other clues we have gotten include

"billboard"

"Airstream"

"The gathered are known by their faces of stone"

Keep these in mind as you are searching!

If you find any sort of cache, please get it and examine it thoroughly and report any findings to Phgreer. (And I hope Phgreer will share with the rest of the Myst community icon_biggrin.gif)

I love Myst and Riven too... really my only computer game addictions when you take away solitaire...duh... I wrote in the other thread if I can sway my family that way when we're in NM in August I will give it my all...but I'd also appreciate any other incentives that I can give them so if more clues are given please feed em on this way and I'll have a better chance icon_smile.gif

Just thought I would post a pic of the fax that was sent to the Myst convention this past weekend which has the co-ordinates on it.

While at the con I plugged the coords into my GPS, but it was kinda useless as we were on the other side of the country icon_wink.gif

The fax w/ co-ordinates:

Fax Img

Cheers,

Erithan

~~~

"Never underestimate the effects of a small action"

It's just up the road from a rest stop. Maybe a roadside advertisement (billboard) or something. We don't know. I'm with these guys. They're serious. (It's me, Mike Sutherland)

phgreer, creating a surprise cache sounds like a good idea. I'll let you do it because you seem to be ahead of me on this one.

Mike

I thought what Jeremy meant was to register a cache listing. So if I were an expert geocacher and went up into the woods and hid a bucket in the mountains, I would come back to Geocaching.com and post the coordinates, so that people all over the world know it's there and can attempt to find it.

So I did this with the Zandi coordinates, and set the cache type to "Unknown/Surprise cache", and wrote a big old description describing the whole buisness with the fax, BillBoard, airstream, all that stuff. I also forewarned that we don't know what's there, and there might not be anything there at all. I submitted it, but this is what I got:

"I'm sorry, but as this is not a geocache you've hidden it isn't something we can post.

"You may wish to use the appropriate Groundspeak regional forum to solicit help in your quest.

erik - geocaching.com admin"

So great, here I am back in the forums. This appears to be our only hope now.

Can anyone help?

Mike icon_frown.gif

Is it a complete coincidence that last year's (2001) Mysterium took place in that very neigborhood -- Carlsbad, NM? Perhaps something about the location gave someone an idea...

I remember seeing the original Myst before it was actually released. Cyan was distributing "teaser" CDs at MacWorld in Boston. A friend of mine picked one up and dragged me over to take a look at it.

OK Myst fans, two of us have hit the place and haven't found anything yet. We've developed some leads tonite after returning from the area. It will be a week or so before we can go again, so any ideas and clues you can think of will be most appreciated. We don't have a clue what we are looking for.

Info on the visits can be found on the cache page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=30088

If you are not already on the watch list, sign up and help out!

BTW, Thanks to Geocaching for allowing this cache post. This is turning into the most fun I've had in geocaching yet!

Jim

KM5BS

I saw the thread about Myst, and was reminded of a thread I started in the UK forum about a place called 'The Forbidden Corner' in England.

Here's the thread:

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=1500909683&m=6130911325

Anybody who like geocaching or Myst would love this place. It's not very widely known about even in England and I have no idea if it is know to the Myst community. It's in a beatiful hilly area of Northern England (The Yorkshire Dales), about an hour and half drive from York.

It is *very* well done, if you are used to theme parks where everything under the skin is just paint and fibreglass, you'll be pleasantly suprised at the attention to detail in this place. I wouldn't recommend a trip across the atlantic just to see it, but if you are doing the tourist thing in York it's well worth a side trip, although you will have to drive to it.

Don't mention the mushrooms