Photo Cache?

Xilo

I was thinking about placing a cache which requires the finder to leave a photograph. Basically, there's no logbook! To log, bring a photo of anything appropriate (for public viewing) and write your name/date/message on the back.

Has anyone come across something like this? If submitted, would it be approved, or does a physical cache need to have a logbook?

Also, as a kind of extension of this - Thinking more about bookless things, I thought of a multicache for which the first contains the logbook, where finders would take a number (in sequence) and the next coords, while writing. The next or a later container would be a place to leave a (metal) bottlecap with that number written on it (with a perm. marker), probably a wide-mouth plastic bottle.

Any comments/ideas?

Edited by Xilo

I like the idea of using a photo album for the logbook (keeps the photos clean and in chronological order), and I'd recommend one of those small photo albums with cellophane pages designed for a single 3x5 or 4x6 photo per page (your description should indicate the size of the photo that will fit).

A small album like that would fit nicely in most cache containers, and people could log their find on the back of their photo (the notes on the back of the photo would be visible through the cellophane if it's one photo per page). If someone didn't want to leave a photo for some reason, tell them they could slip a piece of paper into one of the photo slots (you could even supply some appropriately sized sheets of paper if you wish)!

Geocaching rules require a logbook, but I don't recall anything about the type of logbook, as long as it meets the intent (to verify the find), which notes on the back of the photos would.

Geocaching rules require a logbook, but I don't recall anything about the type of logbook, as long as it meets the intent (to verify the find), which notes on the back of the photos would.

The photos are to be brought by the finder so the cache is really without a logbook before the hider gets there (hopefully with one). If the pictures were left in there by the hider and said to be used as a logbook then fine but that's not how I understood the post.

The best thing would be to do both, have a regular logbook and suggest your photo idea for logs also.

We haven't hidden one of our own caches yet, I would like to find a few more. But, I really like the idea of placing a photo album in the cach as the log book. I think placing some blank 3x5 index cards for those who don't have/want a picture to put in there would work great.

Brilliant. even better idea.

I've had a similar idea for a cache that I haven't implemented yet. My idea involves the cacher bringing a photo to a cache that has some basic scrapbooking supplies (colored paper, glue stick, child safe scissors, stickers, etc) that they can use to quickly create a scrapbook page. I might give it a try next year. I could always archive it if it doesn't work out.

I've had a similar idea for a cache that I haven't implemented yet. My idea involves the cacher bringing a photo to a cache that has some basic scrapbooking supplies (colored paper, glue stick, child safe scissors, stickers, etc) that they can use to quickly create a scrapbook page. I might give it a try next year. I could always archive it if it doesn't work out.

What a GREAT idea for a cache!!!!

...a cache which requires the finder to leave a photograph...

Hmmm... Interesting notion but - I'm thinking that few folks will be prepared/think to bring/have a picture handy.

Now a better idea might be... why not supply a cheapo disposable camera? Just as some TB have cameras, why not place a camera in the cache as the logbook?

Pesuming you monitor the cache page for logs and/or maintain the cache fairly frequently, you could scoop up the camera when it was full, and add another to replace it. Just a matter of putting a label on the camera and clearly explaining that it's not swag, but rather the log book.

Course then you'd still need some thing/place for folks to sign their name and date I suppose... Perhaps the camera wouldn't totally replace a log book, but it would surely be a neat thing to have in the cache.

Just thinking out loud here... (well o.k. through my fingers!) :P

I don't like the disposable cameras in caches, because the finder rarely, if ever, gets to see the pictures. I've taken pictures of my son and me at a number of caches with the disposable cameras, and never once seen the pics posted. Either the cache owner never gets around to it, or the camera or cache gets muggled, or whatever. Plus it's nearly impossible for a cache owner to determine who's who if they actually do get the thing developed.

A cacher having to bring a picture to add to a photo album-type logbook is better, because it not only allows the picture to actually be signed by the cacher who brings it, but also allows him to "see" previous finders.

However...Hey, I got it! You know those little...um...what are they called...those small Polaroid instant cameras that spit out a little picture sticker? Place one of those in the cache. Then the finder would be able to take their own picture and stick it in the logbook, along with signing the log! It would have to be monitored closely and additional film added when needed, but that would be cool!

Edited by 4x4van

just a thought -

if you want to use pictures as the log book but know not everyone will bring a picture -

get a small album and make it the log book. The ones that have the celephane (sp?) pages and hold one image - lots of people use them as flip books for work. THEN get a stack of index cards.... instruct folks to leave their picture and write on the back but if they don't have a picture, they can just write on an index card and slide it in the photobook in leiu of the photo.

just... a thought.

...Another fun idea is one of those polaroid I-Zone cameras -- having one in a cache that allows finders to snap a quick photo as a small sticker to place on the log book. 

No doubt great fun indeed. But a tad pricey. Plus... the WalMart page doesn't seem to say how many pics you get $17+...

Edited by globalgirl