Caching Slump

Halden

When I started caching I was all gung ho and trying to get as much as possible then I hit a lull. I don't know why it happened but it did. I am going to try and get out this weekend.

I think it maybe because in teh summer I am more active already Ultimate, hiking etc... that caching got pushed aside.

Anyone experience a lull in their Caching once in a while?

Only 39 finds? How can you possibly be burned out already?!

I haven't missed a weekend in a year, since I started. But I must admit my ardor is flagging a bit in recent weeks. Likely, it's just from the push to hit #200 by my one year cachiversary, which I did. But now I think maybe I'll take a weekend off. Or not. I might let weather actually keep me in this weekend, tho it hasn't happened yet.

I'm in a similar lull. Partially because almost every unfound cache is at least an hour away, partially because of the proliferation of caches that don't hook me, partially because I'm getting lazy... I am becoming choosier, looking for one or two caches on a trip that would be cool to do, rather than a whole bunch, and I 'm doing most of those outside my home area when I'm traveling. I'm not making as many caching trips as I did earlier.

I don't feel I have to do any cache I don't want to (I already have way too many obligatory tasks to do in my life), so I want them all from now on to be good ones. Now that autumn is coming on, the weather will be more conducive, and I'll probably head out some more. I'm taking my son to college in Rochester NY this weekend, and I've scoped out caches there -- I hope to get at least one. Do something like that, if you can -- hit a cache the next time your out of area as an addition to the trip and not the sole reason for the trip. Change of scenery, style, limited pressure, no obligations. Different perspective.

Lull? For sure.

I found just over 300 caches my first year and haven't done much since. I mean I've been busy doing caching related stuff but just not getting out to hit caches like I used to. I've done very few this past year but have gotten that urge again recently and hit a couple yesterday and 4 today with plans to do a couple tomorrow. Just like I used to do, a few a day.

I think if it wasn't for the community of geocahers I probably would have stopped caching long ago.

Okay- I know ahead of time that I am going to be slammed for posting this but:

There is more in life than geocaching! Since I cache with a just turned five year old and a just turned two year old, sometimes it is more than a slump for us to get out and cache! I really love to go but....the rest of the gang is not so interested at times. As my nephew once said to me "sometimes you just have to go with the flow" too true at times!

When I started caching I was all gung ho and trying to get as much as possible then I hit a lull. I don't know why it happened but it did. I am going to try and get out this weekend.

I think it maybe because in teh summer I am more active already Ultimate, hiking etc... that caching got pushed aside.

Anyone experience a lull in their Caching once in a while?

I've often wondered how those who have thousands of finds, or those who bag several hundred in a few months don't get burned out. I think the sport becomes an obession and an addiction to some people...a lot of them...then they flame out.. If you make it just one of many other interests, its much more healthy.

I personally experience lulls every month. I may go 3-4 weeks without a find, then I might run off a handful. Other times I may find a cache every few days, but I never go overboard, which keeps things fresh for me.

Edited by briansnat
Okay- I know ahead of time that I am going to be slammed for posting this but:

There is more in life than geocaching! Since I cache with a just turned five year old and a just turned two year old, sometimes it is more than a slump for us to get out and cache! I really love to go but....the rest of the gang is not so interested at times. As my nephew once said to me "sometimes you just have to go with the flow" too true at times!

I see no reason for you to get slammed. You are right! There is more to life than caching. There is nothing wrong with people who are all gung ho and find many caches all the time, but there is also nothing wrong with enjoying a cache occasionally. People should do what makes them happy and works with their lifestyles.

I think burn out can be looked at in several ways. For some it might mean that they really haven't found a hobby that suits them. Maybe they liked it at first and now don't. That is OK. I am willing to bet a large number of people find a handful of caches and quit. For others, it could be wanting more excitement or challenge. There are ways to deal with that. Try snow caching or night caching where easier caches suddenly can be harder to find. Or maybe attend an event and look at the social aspect for awhile and cache again when it seems right. For yet others, it could just be a temporary thing. There is nothing wrong with taking time off. I often cache in spurts. I will find a bunch on a weekend and then go weeks without finding any because I have other things going on or I just don't feel like it. I have never felt burnt out, but maybe that is because I have never pressured myself to go cache either. I do it when I feel like it, and thus, I always enjoy it. :P

Its been slower for us lately because of two things. Our nearest cache shows to be about 50 miles away, as the crow flies. Doesnt sound too bad until you realize that its about twice that because it isnt a straight shot. The other thing is heat, not killer heat but definitely not our idea of great caching weather.

We are more selective these days. Do alot of research now, and try to find caches that are more challenging and/or sound like more fun to do! Agree with briansnat, we have alot of other interests as well, that of course helps to make it not become mundane. And yes, it really amazes me too how there are some with thousands of finds that just keep going and going and going!!! :P

Yup - caching can be an addiction. A little geocaching addiction test:

Are others telling you (or are you feeling) like you should be "cutting down"?

Are others getting angry with you because of your caching?

Do you feel guilty about your caching?

Do you ever have an "eye opener" (cache when you first wake up in morning)?

If you answered "yes" to three or more questions, you may have a problem! :P

We cache pretty steadily throughout the year (we like getting outdoors in all seasons), but never feel compelled to do it (like it's a competition to see who can get the most smilies). If we have a busy period, or the weather is really bad, or we just don't feel like it, we don't. Then after a week or two, we usually get the urge and might go out and find four or five in one day.

The point is to enjoy yourself doing it, whether that's 20 a week or one a month. I wouldn't worry about a lull (so what if you never cache again, if it's not something you want to do?).

Edited by Kai Team

I see quite a few people on the forums that don't have a LOT of caches but have 2000-3000 posts to the forum!?!?!? Whats up with that?

OK that out of the way...

My 15 month old keeps me at home these days. Haven't been traveling for work like I did last year. I ALWAYS cache when I am out of town.

I don't have a HUGH number of caches (yet), but have gotten burnt out at different times. Now I look for caches that will take be to a nice park or other place I wouldn't have seen without caching.

But...I still have to do the FTF dance every once in a while! 69.gif

I see quite a few people on the forums that don't have a LOT of caches but have 2000-3000 posts to the forum!?!?!? Whats up with that?

It's much easier to check into the forums and post from work than to find a cache in my office :(

It's not that I am burnt out on Caching. I have all intentions of getting cache. I research them, download the waypoints but I either get too busy to go or get distracted along the way.

I don't hunt caches late at night, or when I get up at 5 am, or while I'm in the office, but I do check the forums then...and post. A post can take between 10 seconds and a minute or two to compose, while a cache hunt can take a few hours. Thats whats up with that.