GPS vs GPSr? Huh?

Dave77459

GPS = Global Positioning System. That includes everything; Satellites, Ground Stations, Hardware, Software ect., and your Receiver.

GPSr = Global Positioning System Receiver. You would use *GPSr* when referring only to your receiver, “My GPSr was showing 50’ away from the cache”.

In actual use, GPS and GPSr are the same thing.

The extra 'r' is mainly found in the geocaching forums and not really recognized in the outside world. Perhaps one of the ultra corrects could tell why the r isn't usually capitalized.

Awhile back, I think, someone didn't want people thinking they were lugging 24 big satellites with them through the woods on a cache hunt. They posted about how there would be no confusion if they used the more correct GPSr. The 'r' of course being for just the receiver portion of the global positioning system. The idea seems to have caught on here in the forums but a google search will give better results if you use just gps.

Personally, I'm lazy and use the 25% shorter GPS. Plus, I don't have to make the unenlightened clerk at WalMart feel like a dork when I ask for a GPSr.

It's up to you!

K.I.S.S.

quote:
Originally posted by Tower247:

In actual use, GPS and GPSr are the same thing.

The extra 'r' is mainly found in the geocaching forums and not really recognized in the outside world. Perhaps one of the ultra corrects could tell why the r isn't usually capitalized....

.....The idea seems to have caught on here in the forums but a google search will give better results if you use just gps.

K.I.S.S.

Pursuant to your suggestion, I did a google search for GPSR and found that it is the acronym for "Greedy Perimeter Stateless Routing" - I guess that's why we use the lower case "r" when referring to a GPS receiver.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by Dave77459:

Basic dumb question:

What is the difference between GPS and GPSr, and when do you use either?

Dave

One and the same by common usage. When I say my GPS I'm not talking about the entire system just the gizmo I'm holding. GPSr is technically correct, but the language has evolved to accept GPS as meaning the same thing.

One should keep in mind that there are currently several Global Positioning Systems (GPS & GLONASS) plus other currently in the development process (GALILEO etc).

By default or it might just be that GLONASS has had a few political issues the NAVSTAR GPS system was basically available first so "receivers", which receive GPS signals really have been incorrectly called a GPS.

There's not too many "GPS's" (as many like to call "it") that will recieve GLONASS but GLONASS is still a Global Positioning System. These are generally referred to as GPS+GLONASS receivers

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh):

Scout65 is absolutely right, but it can be a bit confusing at first as some people just say GPS when they mean their GPS receiver.

I'm very careful to use "GPSs" when I'm carrying my satellite instead of my receiver. icon_wink.gif

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.

quote:
mrkablooey wrote:

I'm very careful to use "GPSs" when I'm carrying my satellite instead of my receiver.

Well, that accounts for my reception problems then. There's someone out there walking around with one of the sats... icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh):

quote:
mrkablooey wrote:

I'm very careful to use "GPSs" when I'm carrying my satellite instead of my receiver.

Well, that accounts for my reception problems then. There's someone out there walking around with one of the sats... icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

So thats what my problems were caused by two weeks ago, mrkablooey please put the satellite back where it belongs.

Have boots and GPSr, will cache for fun!

OK, total newbie here, but this thread was both comical, entertainging and enlighting. The rhetorical question of TVr is good. what about a "pair" of pants, drive on a parkway and park in a driveway. It is a good, no great, question, thanks for the replys.

The only question that is stupid, dumb, idiotic, ridiculous etc. is the one that is not asked.