New Cache Approval

NavySparksandtheMrs

Hi Everyone,

On 16 August I placed two caches. Goofed on both. One I did not know a cache was close to where I placed my first one. My second cache placement was a total goof up on my part when I checked the distance to the nearest cache.

Both were archived by a reviewer...as they should be. One reviewer had me go through a procedure to notify him that I had moved the location and I did so. He got back to me within 24 hours activating my cache.

The other reviewer however did not have me go through the same procedure and just told me to change the location and let him know, which I did. A couple days went by so Friday I emaild him just check that he got the info that I had fixed the problem but as of this evening on 23 Aug 04 I have not heard from him and my cache has not been activated.

Just in chase something has gone wrong what proceedure would I go through to get my cache approved...i.e., who should I contact...Or, should I just resubmit the cache as a new one?

TIA for any suggestions.<_<

OK...guess the bottom line here now is that I am confused.

This is what the heading part of my cache looks like:

-------------------------------------

This is a Regular cache.

Travel Bugs have been seen in this cache -

Mr. Happy Face

What is a Travel Bug?

View Bug History

A Walk In The Park

[click to enable]

by NavySparks [profile]

Cache Issues:

* This cache has been archived, but is available for viewing for archival purposes.

* This cache has not been approved yet. Once it is approved, it will be listed on the site. Check the logs to see if the reviewers have left a note for this listing.

* The reviewers will not see this listing until you activate it.

* This cache is temporarily unavailable. Read the logs below to read the status for this cache.

N 37° 30.334 W 122° 16.491

UTM: 10S E 564092 N 4151206

or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com

-----------------------------------------

Should I click where it says to [click to enable] does that then notify the reviewer?

Writing a "Note to Reviewer" likewise has no effect.

You need to send an e-mail to the reviewer who archived the original submission.

Unless the reviewer has specifically requested that you use the cache page's reviewer notes for communication. Caches I archive are added to my watch list, so I do get notification when something is posted to the page, even if it's archived.

Your mileage, and local reviewer, may vary.

hey Sparks, I had a bit of a similar problem.

I wanted to place a cache in a really neat location but when I sent it off for approval, I found out that I was 28 feet TOO close for my approver's liking.

Fortunately, instead of archiving my requests , He held it in the queue until I could find a location that did not infringe on that other cache's "space". ( I also found out that I was only 200 ft +/- from yet another cache).

I learned that it is best to shoot my coords, then check the coords with a cache search to show all the closest caches to those coordinates THEN submit for approval. Don't trust your own sense of distance... it will seldom be correct.

oh, yeah BTW KYAdmin, Keep up the good work

I like to use the cache map that shows all caches in the area - then do an Identify.

If you don't know a cache in the specific area you can get one failry close then use the arrows to move the map to your area - zoom out the move faster then move in - there is a scale on the map so you know the distnce on the map. If you don't see any caches you have it to yourself.

You can also change your 'home' setting to that of your proposed cache and get a listing of all caches close to it by the distance.

If you use the pq files you can do the same thing in GSAK a little easier. Set a 'home' to a specific cache and sort by distance.

I put all of my pg files into Topo so I can see them mapped on my own computer. Sometimes I can say to mysef: "Self! there is an empty spot that looks good for a cache!"

Other tips on dealing with proximity problems:

1. If the park where you want to hide a cache in already has other existing caches, make it your business to find those other caches as part of your cache planning efforts, including any multicaches. If the four existing caches in the park are all standard "rubbermaid in a tree stump next to the trail" hides, you can make your cache stand out by offering something different, like a camo'd container, or an ecologically friendly bushwack along a stream bed or up a hillside. If the four existing caches are all located along the Ravine Trail (terrain 3), consider hiding your cache in the woods beyond the playground (terrain 1.5), or alongside the paved bike path (terrain 1), so that the families with kids or individuals with mobility challenges will be more likely to visit the park. Think about the park as a whole and how the experience will be for someone new to the area or new to geocaching, who chooses to visit the five caches in the park (including your new one). Repetition can be boring.

2. While you're finding those existing multicaches, save the waypoints for the intermediate and final stages.

3. When you are done scouting the park generally and are ready to place your cache, have all the waypoints for the existing caches and multicache stages loaded into your GPS. Find your spot. Check your GPS to make sure that the nearest waypoint is more than 528 feet away.

4. If you have chosen a spot that is closer to an existing waypoint than the recommended guideline of 528 feet, take notes (and even pictures) of any special terrain considerations that would justify a request for a variance. If, from your cache site, you are staring at a river or cliff that separates your cache from the one 400 feet away, it is quite helpful to the reviewer to know this information via a "Note to Reviewer" that you would leave on your cache page.