Pda Or New Gps?

ok here's the situation. i currently use a geko 201 which does me fine getting me within spitting distance of most caches but i want a new toy.

i have been thinking about a pda so that i can have a map and be able to see where all the caches are and therefore better plan days out. but do i go for a pda or go for a better gps with map functions? any thoughts?

who uses what and what do they think is better. ofcourse i could just save some money and go and buy the good old fashioned paper maps but that defeats the object of having a new toy to play with. yeah guilty as charged i'm a gadget freak.

cheers

We use a Magellan SporTrak Map with Mapsend maps, and an iPAQ with Fugawi mapping. The Magellan is ok but the maps are street level only (although I believe they have just released topo maps for it) and therefore not a lot of use once away from the streets. The iPAQ is great for the maps (OS Landranger) as it gives you full topographical data and when linked to the CF GPSr your exact location on the map.

We tend to use the Magellan as our main GPSr as it is more accurate (I believe) far more robust and battery life is better and batteries can be changed.

The iPAQ is used for checking/planning routes and for checking on location and for obstacles etc. if necessary. Due to the iPAQ's high value, lack of robustness and limited battery life (non replaceable), it tends to remain in pocket and switched off until required. The iPAQ also has the added benefit of being able to store and view GPX files and with TomTom we have full SatNav to get us to the cache parking spot.

At the end of the day both units have their place, but we couldn't do without the Magellan (although another similar unit without maps would probably be ok) and although we could do without the iPAQ it would be very much missed.

PS Don’t forget to budget for the software when buying a PDA (or a mapping GPSr for that matter) as it is very expensive.

Oh I forgot, one other consideration is the mapping software; Fugawi does not allow you to edit waypoints on the PDA, making it useless for multi/offset caches.

are you saying that you can't change the co-ords of a particular waypoint?

And even if one couldn't .... then surely it is possible just to add an extra waypoints as one works through the multi/offset caches??

Ullium.

We've had a Garmin GPS12XL for many years and when we started geocaching a few months ago we thought we'd better update to a current model fearing that our GPS was well out of date. On the contrary, our old model appears to work very well for geocaching - at least as well if not better than some modern devices so we're sticking with it.

We use Memory Map with a PDA and existing waypoints are "fixed" too so you can't move them. However, as Ullium suggests, it is dead easy to plot a new waypoint and the co-ords of that can be changed at will. We've never bothered to plot such waypoints, simply entering the new co-ords in the GPS and following that... at the same time keeping track of our movements on the map.

I have just recently got a 60cs gps which is the dogs danglies for road navigation but not any better than a basic gps once you are off road as far as the maps are concerned, but if you want to go paperless I recomend getting a PDA and memory map. I used to print out cachepages and maps from streetmap.co.uk now I just send all the cache info and waypoints to the pda. That way I can have more cache info than I could possibally need without wasting paper and ink. The OS maps that memory map provide are brilliant for planning parking spots route into caches etc. Before I had I once ended up on the wrong side of a river looking for a cache and had to walk back to the nearest bridge through head high nettles and bushes.

An example of where it might be handy is if you set out on a longer walk and the fog comes in you so that you cannot see. You can either walk on blindly!! :( Or plot your location on the map and decide if it is safe to walk on or turn back or wait until it clears, The map might show you are near a cliff or river ravine which you could inadvertantly tumble into. I know I struggle to estimate how far I have walked when visibillity is poor. It is ok to follow the arrow straight to a cache when you can see the obsacles in front of you but no so handy or safe if you cant.

Edited by Naefearjustbeer

Using Memory Map on the iPAQ it is easy to amend the co-ordinates of waypoints - although you may have to "unlock" the waypoint first. The OS map is superb for geocaching: if you've just worked out the next waypoint for a multicache, for instance, you can input it and see exactly where it is on the map.

Also, you can go to a new area and have all the cache descriptions and waypoints available: if you're forced to print them out first you're going to have to choose which ones you're going to visit in advance, and unless you print out dozens of pages you won't be able to change plans.

If you have a Bluetooth PDA and mobile phone, you can use it to access the net and log caches etc. - I used this as the weekend to obtain a picture clue when struggling to find a cache.

I don't have to take any printouts with me when caching: great! The wonders of modern gadgetry are endless...

HH

If you have a Bluetooth PDA and mobile phone, you can use it to access the net and log caches etc. - I used this as the weekend to obtain a picture clue when struggling to find a cache.

I have seen on more than one occaision whilst I have been out caching (pre pda days) where I have not noticed that the clue required the use of a picture I have phoned my neighbour who also caches. And asked her to look at the cache page and describe the photo to me and it has worked, She will be saying there is a square stone with a large bit of lichen on it next to a smaller rectangular stone etc etc

ps I think dell are doing a good deal for an axim pda with gps and tom tom navigator at the moment..here

I think tom tom takes up abot 90Mb of space so a minimum of 128Mb sd card is required, If you were planning memory map too I would go for the biggest sd card your budget will swallow

Edited by Naefearjustbeer
Oh I forgot, one other consideration is the mapping software; Fugawi does not allow you to edit waypoints on the PDA, making it useless for multi/offset caches.

are you saying that you can't change the co-ords of a particular waypoint?

And even if one couldn't .... then surely it is possible just to add an extra waypoints as one works through the multi/offset caches??

Ullium.

In Fugawi you cannot amend the co-ords of any waypoint on the PDA. You can create new waypoints but only of your current location or by tapping on a location on the map. You cannot create a new waypoint by typing in its co-ords.

That is unless anyone out their knows different, PLEASE :(

I think tom tom takes up abot 90Mb of space so a minimum of 128Mb sd card is required, If you were planning memory map too I would go for the biggest sd card your budget will swallow

You can select certain parts if you have limited space on your card. Usually it`s 100mb for the whole of the UK, 60 mbs for the North & south, 32 for certain areas. So if you are pushed for space, you just install the bits you need.

Saying that a 512mb card comes in really handy if you are using memory map too.

Pengy

Having been a recent convert to the PDA craze I would say thet it depends what you will used it for. I have a Garmin GPS V with mapsource software included which has all the roads for europe on. This allows me to navigate a route from A to B using the software.

I have been happy with this for about four years.

I have just purchased an IPAQ 2210 from ebay (sorry to advertise) I already had memory map software (Quite pricey for all the maps) which can be downloaded onto my PDA. I also purchased seperatly a CF GPS r.

These two combined allow me to see exactly where I am on the map on my PDA at any time.

As I am a gadget freak as well, I got TOM TOM Navigator 3. FANTASTIC.

I can now have someone telling me how to get to near the cache as well.

I must say that I still use my GPS V to get me to the cache, as it is more accurate and more reliable than the other two.

My advise. Get a pda with memory map. And use your gpsr to get to the cache.

Good question. My PDA isn't so hot for remote caches but it's far better for planning a day in the field than my GPS.

The best combo for planning a day though remains a mapping GPS with a printout from a desktop computer of my route so I can see all the caches at a glance and cross them off as I go. It's probably the best way to go mostly because you plan the route in advance instead of flying by the seat of your pants.

I cant se the problem here I had a magellan 2000xpro and have just upgraded to a magellan meriidan gold...apart fro maos etc the old steam driven one wsas more than ample for geocaching and put me on top of the cache more than not.

Now if i place a cache methinks I may offset it just for fun!! c'mon troops get alife

Due to the iPAQ's high value, lack of robustness and limited battery life (non replaceable), it tends to remain in pocket and switched off until required.

Have you considered byuying a "battery extender" for your iPaq? They are under 5 quid on ebay. You just put 4 x AA batteries into it, and plug it into your iPaq. Hey presto, it's charging the iPaq.

I have one for my iQue, works a treat!

(search for "iPaq Battery Extender")

Paul

thanks for all the feedback. seems the best solution will be the pda and mapping software. just need to see if the bank balance can swallow the cost.

if not then back to the old faithfull notebook and map. just as effective and doesn't go on the blink when the batteries run out. i might be able to convince myself that it's just as good but not without something strong to help ease the pain of not getting the gadget!

cheers.

You can get a spare battery for the iPAQ 2210: it charges in the cradle at the same time as the main one and can be swapped in when required (as long as the software in the iPAQ is up to date - older versions didn't allow this!). A car charger is fairly cheap as well: get one which allows you to keep it connected to the GPSr as well. I've never had a problem with battery life even though I haven't yet bought a spare.

It's all very expensive, though, so I'm glad you can still geocache perfectly well with a few printouts and a cheap GPS unit!

HH

For any rechargable PDA (which is about al lof them these days) I would get a Battery Extender and car charger. The two will cost $20 or less and will mean you areneverwithout power as long as you have four AA batteries in your pocket.

The only issue I have had with them is that the car recharger genrateda lot of RF and I had to fit a supressor so I could listen to the car stereo.