When Animals Attack

...What's eating you?

After reading Dan Wilson's funny story of cow-mageddon at my latest cache (link) I wondered what (shaggy dog with big teeth?) stories other cachers had to tell. I'm sure we've all been intimidated by wasps and thunderbugs...made to jump by a farm dog whose bark is bad enough, let alone his bite... and intimidated by inquisitive livestock labouring under the misplaced belief that you have a bale of hay hidden somewhere about your person.

Just the other day (I wasn't caching, I was trying to rescue my brother from the balloon he was in when it crashed into a golf course - long story) I was suddenly the close friend of about 8 horses who wanted to say hello. A lot. It's not easy to walk nonchalantly away while being nose-butted repeatedly on the back of the head.

So, who's lost a finger to an angry badger while looking for a cache? Who's found a snake under a rock when they were hoping for tupperware? We'll not even talk about what happened to George Chacshot (small private joke there)...

SP :blink:

* It's a plant-like animal. For example, a natural sponge.

Is George Chacshot the "Missing Cacher"?

Hokeydog and I were chased by a couple of cows at Dew Point.

I think they were only after food but as I am not an expert in the facial expressions of Daisy and friends we make a sharp exit from the field.

BTW is it just me or are cow pats more toxic these days? Stood in one at Hermit's Hole and I thought it was going to melt the sole of my trainer. :blink:

The Hokesters...

Edited by The Hokesters
Saw a bigfoot once. Made a sound I'd never want to hear again.

Are you sure it was Bigfoot? I've met Pharisee and I think I might know how you might have been mistaken...

SP ;)

Oiii.... you. :rolleyes:

I'll have you know I take a very petite size 7 so there's no way you can call me 'Big Foot' :rolleyes:;)

Below is my log for To the Manor Born GCGAWJ near Doncaster, fortunately no one has since found a snake at the cache but a cast off skin has been found.

July 27, 2003 by adrianjohn (169 found)

WARNING!

When you do this cache be careful where you put your hands I almost picked up an adder. Remember that snakes are not dangerous if you dont provoke them, just give them time to move off, they are more afraid of you than you think.

This was a nice cache well hidden but fairly easy to find, just beyond the gas works. As I walked down the lane to the cache my nose detected a whiff of gas odorising agent from the gas installation at the side of the path. Having been connected with the gas supply business for the last four years I recognised it straight away. Any way I digress. I soon found the cache and was lucky not to put my hand on the snake guarding it, he slithered off and I was able to get the box out of its hiding place.

Doing what you do in that desert called Greece a couple of weeks ago I startled a large brown snake a good metre long. Fortunatly for me he was quicker off the mark than I was, but went a bit carefully after that. The locals told me later it was only a constrictor!

:D Well we hung around near to the final location of our new cache series today to see who would be first to find.

Rutson appeared and we acompanied him to the location and enjoyed watching him hunt for the cache. :(

After replacing the cache in its hiding place we (Cave Troll, Joan & Rutson), walked back towards where the cars were parked .

Suddenly a herd of cows , calves & a very large black bull wandered onto the path between us and the vehicles.As we approached the very large black bull took a dislike to Cave Troll who happened to be wearing a very red England football top.

After a few bellows from the bull :D we all decided to leave the path and seek an alternative way back.

After going through a gate and closing it firmly behind us we walked across open moorland and boggy ground.Eventually we came to a stream blocking our path, which we all crossed in our own unique styles. B)

After traversing more grassy tussocked moorland Joan decided to accidently lie down in a slightly damp boggy area.Eventually after retreiving Joan from her predicament ( between fits of laughter :D ) we carried on till a dry stone wall blocked our way back onto the correct path.We had now added approx 1 mile onto our return journey.We checked that the bull, his girlfriends & children were looking the opposite way , then clambered over the wall ,swiftly walked 1003.gif up to the nearby stile, up and over it and back to safety.