Multi Cache Vs. Regular Cache

tlg

Lately I've been noticing a whack of caches in my area that are labelled as "traditional" caches but if one reads the cache page before hunting one will see that the coordinates listed are not for the actual cache, they are for something else that the finder will have to use to find the actual cache. For example, the coordinates take you to a plaque with a 3 digit number on it, use these numbers to the right of the decimal place in the latitude. Understand? Good, I'm sure most of you have seen these type of caches before; are they not called multi-caches? Do we not have a category for them? Yes we do.

Which brings me to my question. When the cache is being reviewed would it not make sense for the reviewer to point out the the cache under review is not, in fact, a traditional but is a multi?

Thanks.

PS, please excuse any slow responses on my part. Long story...

You are correct, to be labeled as a "traditional cache" the coordinates on the page MUST be for the cache box.

There may be a few caches that are unintentionally approved that have the wrong cache type, but in most cases the cache reviewers catch them before approving. In many cases the cache owner changes the description on the cache page, after approval. If you see a cache with the wrong cache type send a email to a volunteer cache reviewer or to contact@geocaching.com and we will have it changed for you.

Sounds like another case of people trying to get around the approval process. List it as a traditional in a safe place, then after it's approved, change the description to make it a multi into a banned park or other location.

Sounds like another case of people trying to get around the approval process. List it as a traditional in a safe place, then after it's approved, change the description to make it a multi into a banned park or other location.

Sometimes it's a little less sinister, and just a way to place caches 3-400 feet away from another instead of 532'. :blink:

Sometimes it's a little less sinister, and just a way to place caches 3-400 feet away from another instead of 532'. :blink:

Still.... what's the point?

If you don't wanna play by the rules, don't play. It's only a matter of time before someone like the OP notices, and posts it in the forums, or the person that reviewed the cache actually finds it. They are all cachers too, not sitting at a round table with Jeremy in the middle.

I'm quite certain that is not the case in the 3 or 4 instances I've noticed in my area. The final cache locations were fine; I'm sure they would have been approved if they had been listed as straight go-to caches. Probably just an oversight on someone's part- or a new cache hider's mistake. I'll send off an email to our local approver; so that people like me who don't always read the descriptions don't get too annoyed.

If you see a cache with the wrong cache type send a email to a volunteer cache reviewer or to contact@geocaching.com and we will have it changed for you.

There is a local cache (not mine) that is classified as a traditional, although there are multiple steps.

I sent an e-mail to geocaching.com as advised.

Here's the (partial) response:

If you need to make changes to a previously approved cache, please email

any of the volunteer geocache approvers with details of your request and

they will assist you.  There is a link to the profile page of the approver

that reviewed your cache listing in the bottom left hand corner of your

cache page.  If you email an approver and do not receive a reply within 48

hours, the approver account may be inactive and you will need to contact

us again at Groundspeak. 

What did I do wrong?

If you see a cache with the wrong cache type send a email to a volunteer cache reviewer or to contact@geocaching.com and we will have it changed for you.

There is a local cache (not mine) that is classified as a traditional, although there are multiple steps.

I sent an e-mail to geocaching.com as advised.

Here's the (partial) response:

If you need to make changes to a previously approved cache, please email

any of the volunteer geocache approvers with details of your request and

they will assist you.  There is a link to the profile page of the approver

that reviewed your cache listing in the bottom left hand corner of your

cache page.  If you email an approver and do not receive a reply within 48

hours, the approver account may be inactive and you will need to contact

us again at Groundspeak. 

What did I do wrong?

Sounds like someone there misunderstood and thought it was your own cache. Email them again.

OK, that worked.

The key was to make sure they knew it wasn't my cache.

They said they changed it...it hasn't shown as changed yet, but perhaps it takes a while to percolate through the system. (Or else they figured they could get it changed before I read the e-mail and checked. :blink: )

Sliding the can of vitriol back into my desk drawer.... :D

Not all the time. I have changed two of mine into to part caches after being liste as a traditional cache, not to get around the system. But because the cache were getting muggled. This has taken care of the problem with both of these caches.