My First Find!

Crabby Lady

;) Hi everyone. I just found my first geocache today. I had gone out with my GPS a few weeks ago and found the area, but hadn't a clue what I was looking for. Today I had a few minutes to spare and went back to the site and actually found the cache. It was a camera film canister size container with geocaching markings. Inside was a blank sheet of paper. My questions are: 1) what type of things should I write on the paper and should I leave something in the container for the next person? I checked the posting about this geocache and it says it was found as early as yesterday, yet nothing was written on the paper. Thanks for your help.

Just as a side note, I belonged to the United States Power Squadrons and was involved in their geodetic survey marker program. We helped the govt find all the benchmarks and other geodetic markers. It was lots of fun and geochashing is very similar. Look forward to finding more!

If its a micro, you should just leave your name and date of your visit, as there isn't room for much else. If you find a full sized cache with a full sized logbook, you can write anything. Some people go into detail about the weather that day, how much they enjoyed the hunt, who they were with, etc.... Others just sign their name and date.

Then you log online (which I notice you've yet to do). If there was aleady an online log and no corresponding signature on the log sheet, you may have encountered a "cheater" ( Yes, people do cheat at this sport and will log finds for caches that they haven't visited), or it may have been something as innocent as they forgot to bring a pencil. This sometimes happens with log only micros.

The log only micros usually don't have trade items. Some people will leave small things like collectible coins, Wheresgeorge bills, pins and other very small items, but if there is nothing inside the container, the owner probably meant it to be a log only cache. Larger caches will often have a variety of items to trade. Of course, trading isn't mandatory. Many people just sign the log, but many others enjoy trading.

Edited by briansnat
;) Hi everyone. I just found my first geocache today. I had gone out with my GPS a few weeks ago and found the area, but hadn't a clue what I was looking for. Today I had a few minutes to spare and went back to the site and actually found the cache. It was a camera film canister size container with geocaching markings. Inside was a blank sheet of paper. My questions are: 1) what type of things should I write on the paper and should I leave something in the container for the next person? I checked the posting about this geocache and it says it was found as early as yesterday, yet nothing was written on the paper. Thanks for your help.

Just as a side note, I belonged to the United States Power Squadrons and was involved in their geodetic survey marker program. We helped the govt find all the benchmarks and other geodetic markers. It was lots of fun and geochashing is very similar. Look forward to finding more!

You might want to e-mail the 'cache owner and just ask if that's the way he meant for the 'cache to be. There should at least be something inside besides blank paper....

;)  Hi everyone. I just found my first geocache today.  I had gone out with my GPS a few weeks ago and found the area, but hadn't a clue what I was looking for.  Today I had a few minutes to spare and went back to the site and actually found the cache. It was a camera film canister size container with geocaching markings.  Inside was a blank sheet of paper.  My questions are: 1) what type of things should I write on the paper and should I leave something in the container for the next person?  I checked the posting about this geocache and it says it was found as early as yesterday, yet nothing was written on the paper. Thanks for your help. 

Just as a side note, I belonged to the United States Power Squadrons and was involved in their geodetic survey marker program.  We helped the govt find all the benchmarks and other geodetic markers.  It was lots of fun and geochashing is very similar.  Look forward to finding more!

You might want to e-mail the 'cache owner and just ask if that's the way he meant for the 'cache to be. There should at least be something inside besides blank paper....

Not if its a log only micro.

Sorry for the misinformation. I was so nervous about finding the cache I guess I never opened the entire paper. At the other end of the paper were the entries! I went back today and added my entry to the cache. Thanks for all your help. Isn't it obvious I am a newbie? ^_^ LOL

Edited by Crabby Lady

:P Congrats on your first find!!! I didn't know what to do at first when I found my first one either. When it's a micro cache, I only write the date and my name on the log book and thats it. The only caches that I trade stuff in, or leave stuff in is the regulars.

Good luck on finding more caches :o

I only write my name on a micro log.. I don't even bother with the date.

The date is the most important thing one can put on a cache log book. That's so whenever someone comes to the cache thay can see when the last find was, and so the owner can view the history of the cache and compare the history of the internet logs vs. the log book

If there's space, I sometimes even put the TIME in along with my name and the date. That way if someone else comes along the same day, they can see how close they were to running into me. I started doing it after I noticed some others doing it, and realized that I had just missed meeting them by a couple minutes. In one case, the other cacher was probably pulling out of the parking area, about the time I was pulling in.........

If there's space, I sometimes even put the TIME in along with my name and the date.  That way if someone else comes along the same day, they can see how close they were to running into me.

I put the date and time also, 'cause I've also run into caches that have apparently been visited recently (since they also logged the time). Haven't crossed paths with any local cachers yet, but I've been right behind one or two.... I haven't been terribly active with ~14 finds so far...so I'm still a relative newbie....especially compared with those with hundreds of finds :D

Plus it's gotten hot here in the Houston area and if I go out caching durng the day my broken arm sweats and makes the cast itch! :D