Asking Your Opinions

Greetings fellow cachers,

I am in desperate need of your opinions. We are about to purchase a new GPSr and we have taken the list down to:

Magellan Meridian Gold or...

Magellan SportTrak Pro

Please let me know and pros/cons you might have on either of these units.

Thanks for all you help in advance. We want to get back out to caching and need to make this purchase ASAP!!

DM & LF :(

Only advantage the sportrack pros has is the size of the unit. Having the SD memory in the gold allows you to have multiple maps sets (consisting of the same map program or a mixture of programs e.g. topo and direct route), fast uploads of maps with a memory card reader/writer, basically unlimited waypoints/routes/tracks, and as many maps as your card can hold.

Wyatt W.

I believe the ST is getting a bad (and undeserved) rap here. Comparing those two units, yes, the Meridian is a better unit becasue of the SD card/base maps, but the ST Pro is still a very good unit as well. Some people have made a big deal over the cracks, but IMO that is way overblown. Most of those are so small that it takes very close inspection to even see them, and Magellan has been very good about replacing them if/when the owners want, oftentimes even when out-of-warranty. The cracks are also only on the outside, so they don't affect the water-proofing at all.

I love my ST Pro, even with the tiny, nearly imperceptible cracks, and prefer it's more compact size over the Meridian line. The ST's 23MB of memory is plenty for what I do, so the SD card is not an issue for me.

Anyway, if the larger physical size is acceptable to you, and/or the SD card is important, then the Meridian is the obvious choice. But it would be a mistake to rule out the ST only on the basis of tiny cosmetic cracks.

I believe the ST is getting a bad (and undeserved) rap here. Comparing those two units, yes, the Meridian is a better unit becasue of the SD card/base maps, but the ST Pro is still a very good unit as well. Some people have made a big deal over the cracks, but IMO that is way overblown. Most of those are so small that it takes very close inspection to even see them, and Magellan has been very good about replacing them if/when the owners want, oftentimes even when out-of-warranty. The cracks are also only on the outside, so they don't affect the water-proofing at all.

I love my ST Pro, even with the tiny, nearly imperceptible cracks, and prefer it's more compact size over the Meridian line. The ST's 23MB of memory is plenty for what I do, so the SD card is not an issue for me.

Anyway, if the larger physical size is acceptable to you, and/or the SD card is important, then the Meridian is the obvious choice. But it would be a mistake to rule out the ST only on the basis of tiny cosmetic cracks.

I gotta second that !

I had a Map and traded it for the Pro for the memory.

Love the size and accuracy!