Tb Dilemma

What would all you seasoned geocachers do in a situation like this?

There is enough information on his cache page to find his name, addresss and phone number from public internet sources, but really the best thing to do is to give it up as a bad job and use the copy tag to send an replacement bug out into the world.

A.

could be they've changed their email and forgotten to change it on system. are they still cacheing? i'd try to contact them via other means first before sending out a new bug. could be a innocent explanation or just that they didn't realise and are now embarrest.

if that doesn't work then i suppose you'll have to give up, but if you do i'd name and shame personnally. then there's always the chance that someone they know might give them that nudge to do the right thing.

good luck

They've not cached since Christmas Day 2003. Might explain it somewhat. Shame they [*EDIT* may have] decided to stop whilst in possession of your bug. If you can get hold of them, they'd probably post it back to you I'd have thought.

Not wishing to be morbid..... but anything could have happened to them. I wouldn't name and shame. I probably wouldn't even take it further than attempted emails, but it's a big shame when a TB stops.

Edited by Stuey

ok name and shame might be a bit harsh. as you say anything could have happened. why not just say who they are? i would hope we're all open minded enough not to jump to any conclusions and hopefully someone knows them and might be able to shed some light on the matter. alternatively spend some time going through their logs to see if you can find someone who might know them. geocache care in the community. they might appreciate someone getting in contact to say hello.

they could be sat on a beach somewhere after winning big on the lottery! lucky buggers.

not easy. you don't want to write off the bug but don't won't to pry.

Wooh! Not too hastie! If you check the TB page TB7D60 Little Muffin the current holder of the TB, 'MountainPenquin', did post a note on 14 March; "sorry picked it up just after xmas been very busy but will drop it off soon" so the last known contact is actually 14 March!

On this users page there is a web link which might prove helpful if you can figure it out! Anyone out there know MountainPenquin and can establish contact?

Good luck!

Wooh! Not too hastie! If you check the TB page TB7D60 Little Muffin the current holder of the TB, 'MountainPenquin', did post a note on 14 March; "sorry picked it up just after xmas been very busy but will drop it off soon" so the last known contact is actually 14 March!

On this users page there is a web link which might prove helpful if you can figure it out! Anyone out there know MountainPenquin and can establish contact?

Good luck!

You might like to check the history of Piglet as this might give you some encouragement. I did try a post here when Piglet went missing, but no-one had contact details.

Mark's Fred The Bulldog TB was picked up ages ago, and despite emailing the person who has him there has been no response. If anyone knows anything about this person who I do not want to name and shame on the forum please let Cave Troll & Joan know. We asked this person to place the TB into a cache any cache but to no avail. For further info check out the Fred the Bulldog TB page.

Thanks

Joan

Looks like the case of TB's stopping is more common than people know.

I have 2 TB's that have stopped. 2 seperate people have them, between the 2 of them they have logged a total of 7 caches. These are their first TB's, and they haven't logged back on for about a month. No more than a week after their last logs. I have emailed both of them but I haven't received a reply. Despite asking if they could send them back to me I think I may have lost both of them. BLOODY annoying when one has only achieved 9 miles :bad:

Whilst on the subject of TB's I have another one which I am try to get to go South. So some kind sole in their infinate wisdom picks him up from Southampton and says they will take to Yorkshire. :bad: Don't people read the description that you put up?? :bad:

Whinge Over ;)

Edit for spelling

Edited by Haggis Hunter
Whilst on the subject of T/B's I have another one which I am try to get to go South. So some kind sole in their infinate wisdom picks him up from Southampton and says they will take to Yorkshire. :bad: Don't people read the description that you put up?? :bad:

I picked up a T/B from a cache in Cumbria whilst on a stop-over on the way to the Aviemore bash. There was no information sheet of any kind, just a soft toy with a dog tag on. I dropped it in my ruck and carried on to the bash, eventually arriving home a week later. When I logged on to the T/B's web page I found to my dismay that it wanted to get to Scotland and I'd just brought it back to the home counties. If it'd had an information sheet with it, I could have dropped it off at Aviemore.

Ho hum..... ;);):bad:

It went back into a cache in Wiltshire, only this time it was in a zip-loc bag with a printed bug sheet. Sorry, whoever owns Mr Pinchy ;)

I picked up a T/B from a cache in Cumbria whilst on a stop-over on the way to the Aviemore bash. There was no information sheet of any kind, just a soft toy with a dog tag on. I dropped it in my ruck and carried on to the bash, eventually arriving home a week later. When I logged on to the T/B's web page I found to my dismay that it wanted to get to Scotland and I'd just brought it back to the home counties. If it'd had an information sheet with it, I could have dropped it off at Aviemore.

Ho hum..... :bad::bad:;)

It went back into a cache in Wiltshire, only this time it was in a zip-loc bag with a printed bug sheet. Sorry, whoever owns Mr Pinchy :bad:

Fair point eating humble pie, as when I put my bugs out I had never picked one up with a sheet and thought you sent them out all alone.

Thanks for everyone's words of wisdom!

Slytherin... Yes you are correct there is enough info and yes i do know his name and also where he lives, but then there is a certain degree of legality to debate about using this information!

As for naming and shaming... well you've all done that for me!

Chris&MaryB... Yes i tried that email address in the beginning but it just constantly bounces!

Interestingly... this user picked up this bug and then couldn't be bothered to answer any emails regarding it's whereabouts, however, they COULD be bothered to log onto the site (so now i know they're still active!) and complain to Groundspeak for multiple emailing!

I have to say that giving up a bug that has travelled ZERO miles is a little disappointing...

i do know where his TB is though... now there's a thought :ph34r:

[snip]... this user picked up this bug and then couldn't be bothered to answer any emails regarding it's whereabouts, however, they COULD be bothered to log onto the site (so now i know they're still active!) and complain to Groundspeak for multiple emailing!

I have to say that giving up a bug that has travelled ZERO miles is a little disappointing...

i do know where his TB is though... now there's a thought <_<

Hmm. I had that thought after my experience, but it's a long way to go IIRC.

I'm very dissapointed that someone else has had the same experience with this particular person. I have been guilty of hanging on to bugs for too long, but I would at least have the courtesy to reply to mail.

as to "then there is a certain degree of legality to debate about using this information!"

The information is publically available to anyone with the knowledge to obtain it. IANAL, but I cant see how it would be illegal. Shouldn't be neccesary, of course.

Chris