Web Cam Caches

TeamG

I am thinking of setting up a web cam cache series. And have a couple of questions before doing so:

1) Is it cricket? (ie. is it fair and do you enjoy doing them)

2) Is there any particular code of conduct one has to abide by when setting up a web cam cache?

I am thinking of setting up a web cam cache series. And have a couple of questions before doing so:

1) Is it cricket? (ie. is it fair and do you enjoy doing them)

2) Is there any particular code of conduct one has to abide by when setting up a web cam cache?

Just make sure that the camera works more than not and has a refresh time of less than five minutes. Preferably at least once a minute.

I've done a few of them and the ones where the camera is off-line at the time are obviously the most frustrating.

There is one in Devizes that has long gone, but the cache is still active for some reason.

The only one I've found working is at Warwick University. I logged this one by using a freeby called SpotCheck that records your PC screen to disk a regular intervals and then left my PC with the webcam displayed and went off to Warwick. When I got back a few hours later it had used 2Gb of disk space but I had the image of Daisy and me and logged the cache.

I'd be happy to try other webcam cache but the webcams don't seem to work for very long.

The only one I've found working is at Warwick University. I logged this one by using a freeby called Snapshot that records your PC screen to disk a regular intervals and then left my PC with the webcam displayed and went off to Warwick. When I got back a few hours later it had used 2Gb of disk space but I had the image of Daisy and me and logged the cache.

That one mentioned by Daisy&Me is the most impressive webcam I have seen. It's picture quality and update rate are amazing compared with most.

I have only done one WebCam cache and that was GC8D4B in Amsterdam. You do get three different cameras for the price of one there, which is just as well considering how much it must have cost on my mobile phone to contact the image grabber back in the UK :o

We have done only one in the past down in Devizes and, like previous cachers, had the problem that the webcam site was offline so had to plead via the cache page to allow the 'find' to be recorded by our own digicam. We would much rather have a virtual to prove being there rather than having to tie a friend to being ready to take a .jpg over the net.

Don't we spend enough time on this medium anyway ? <grin>

Just our tuppence-worth