Going Live

One technique that is often used is watching the list of new TBs placed in the area. If you submit a cache for approval and drop a TB into it before it gets listed, the TB drop will show up on the recent TB list.

From there all one has to do is look at the TB map and theyll have the general idea of where the new cache is.

One technique that is often used is watching the list of new TBs placed in the area. If you submit a cache for approval and drop a TB into it before it gets listed, the TB drop will show up on the recent TB list.

From there all one has to do is look at the TB map and theyll have the general idea of where the new cache is.

and where can this TB list be found?

I found one a few months ago before it was DIS-approved. The hider inadvertently dropped the cache into the same hole of a tree with a micro-cache that was awaiting approval. The first cache in the hole got to keep the spot. I had a FTF on it, until she found another spot and then someone else beat me to it. B)

and where can this TB list be found?

The list for Arizona can be found at the bottom of this page.

I know of an instance where a newly-placed cache hadn't yet been approved but was found. It was hidden very near (within 15') a micro which was part of another, older multi-cache. The person who found the new cache was looking for the micro. Imagine their surprise. I know of another instance where an unposted (not just unapproved but unsubmitted) cache was found and the cache was never subsequently submitted for approval. It was like the person who hid it forgot about it. Very odd.

The bit with the multi waypoint shouldn't happen today. The "new-and-improved" rules require cache submissions to include all interim and actual waypoints for caches in a note to the approver. The multi mentioned above had ten waypoints prior to the final. I recently posted eleven puzzle caches and the approver asked for final coordinates for all. I checked with TPTB and it was confirmed that this was now policy. (Seems like it would ruin the hunt should the approver want to tackle one of them him/herself. Oh, well.)

Personally, if someone logged one of my caches before it had been approved I'd delete the log . . .

If someone found one of my caches before it had been approved I'd be very impressed and say that they'd earned the special FTF prize that I include in all of my regular-sized caches. (I'd also take it as a sign that I hadn't done a very good job of hiding it.)

In the spirit of fair play, wouldn't it be better to WAIT until the cache has been approved ??

Personally, if someone logged one of my caches before it had been approved I'd delete the log . . .

gc.com is a listing site, not a regulator of caches. (In theory anyway.) Once placed a cache is fair game regardless of if, or where, it's listed.

Deleting legitimate logs is a good way to tick someone off and have your cache go bye-bye.

gc.com is a listing site, not a regulator of caches. (In theory anyway.) Once placed a cache is fair game regardless of if, or where, it's listed.

I agree. GC.COM is nothing more than a listing service (albeit the most popular). There is nothing preventing listing it anyplace else, or even e-mailing the coords to friends.

The first caches were listed in a Usenet group (SCI.GEO.SATTELITE-NAV) and you ocassionally still find caches listed in Usenet (ALT.REC.GEOCACHING mostly). Some people use other listing services to advertise their caches and there are some people who have caches listed on their own websites. Letterboxing works this way. There is a website to list letterboxes (www.letterboxing.org), but people can find letterbox clues nearly anywhere (the sport does pre-date the Internet by nearly 100 years).

Anyway, because people can list their geocaches anywhere they want, they are fair game as soon as they are placed. If the cache is then listed here at GC.COM and its already been found, so goes it.

Edited by briansnat
In the spirit of fair play, wouldn't it be better to WAIT until the cache has been approved ??

A cache that was linked to Forestry Shepherds cache event, did not go live until the sunday after several finds on the saturday. sometimes things can go wrong with the listing. Despit all eforts of the cacche owner.

Dave.

I know of an instance where a newly-placed cache hadn't yet been approved but was found. It was hidden very near (within 15') a micro which was part of another, older multi-cache. The person who found the new cache was looking for the micro. Imagine their surprise. I know of another instance where an unposted (not just unapproved but unsubmitted) cache was found and the cache was never subsequently submitted for approval. It was like the person who hid it forgot about it. Very odd.

Yep, they happened on two of the caches I've hid! :blink: Ain't caching great!

Most likely, they were tipped off by the cache owner.

Possibly. I suppose there's a case to be made, that urban micros might be accidentally found by someone who's trying to hide another. There are only so many decent hiding spots. If a non-urban cache get found before it's live, maybe the owner needs to practice her/his hiding skills... :huh:

My opinion, of course. YMMV.

Deleting legitimate logs is a good way to tick someone off and have your cache go bye-bye.

However, in many areas it is hard to get an FTF. If somebody grabbed an FTF before the cache actually "posted" then I would feel cheated. I think it does the sport justice to delete logs of those who found it before-hand. Unless the person admits it and doesn't claim the FTF.

We do this a lot in our area.

We may have friends or relatives go with us as we place caches, but they don't watch us as we place the cache, and then they find it. This is especially so when the cache is hard to get to. Then they get the credit so they don't have to go all the way to the cache again.

The cachers in this area are so used to it, they just ignore the first logs that are obviously logged right when the cache was placed, and consider the next cachers that get there to be the FTF.

Some people may log that they are the FTF, but they obviously logged it before it was approved, for whatever reason. Just because they claimed FTF, doesn't make it neccesarily so. Just ignore them and enjoy your true FTF. ;)

If somebody grabbed an FTF before the cache actually "posted" then I would feel cheated. I think it does the sport justice to delete logs of those who found it before-hand.

"Before the cache actually posted" what? Here on gc.com? On nv.com? On a private site?

Posted, schmosted. Let me repeat, once the cache is placed it's fair game.

If I stumble across a cache--doesn't matter how--and I sign the log, then I've found it. Simple as that. Nothing can change that, not even someone kicking their feet in a huff and deleting the log. It's too late, it's done been found.

One might not notice right off the bat, but it is very much frowned upon to delete a legimate log.