Old Magellan

stoepfer

Yes.

It will work just fine for geocaching. How close it can get you to ground zero will depend on how the MM.MMM is rounted to MM.MM (I'm assuming you have two decimals).

That last decimal doesn't slow down some of the geocachers I know who have dusted off GPS's they found at the back of their closets.

And yes your GPS outdated. But you get a chance to see if you really need to upgrade at all.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by stoepfer:

I think I can go to 3 digits with my 2000. The thing that makes geocaching hard is that the unit does not switch it feet when you get close.

Assume that a mile is 5000' if it helps. Then 0.1 mile = 500 feet. 0.01 mile = 50' and 0.001 mile is close enough to find the cache.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I'm on 71 finds with my 1996 Megellan 2000. I do plan to get a better one eventually. I'm in no hurry.

BTW- Evidently the earliest models only do minutes and seconds. My good friend Pucker Daddy has the same model from about 6-8 months earlier than mine. It doesn't have the same menus as mine even though you can't tell the units apart. He averaged the seconds in his head and found 2 caches that way. I was impressed.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

I started out caching with a Magellan GPS2000XL, almost identical to the unit you have. It's just fine as an intro to geocaching. Once I was sure I liked geocaching, then it was worthwhile spending the money on a better unit. I found that my geocaching experience with the older unit was just perfect for teaching me what features I wanted in the new unit.

I agree with all the other posts. I have a Magellan Trailblazer XL, which is also an antique. It only offers two decimal places, but the third decimal place is approximately 10 metres (about 30'). I have had absolutely no problems geocaching in terms of accuracy: determine from the third decimal more or less how many feet you need to move E/W or N/S once you reach the destination. Besides, between 20' and 30' is about the average accuracy I get anyway.

If you have the option, switch to UTM. That shows you the location in metres, which theoretically could bring you closer than two decimals, but given the overall accuracy, it's not a huge difference. I generally use UTM when searching.

The only three drawbacks I can think of with my older model of GPSr: it needs three AA batteries, instead of two, it depletes regular alkaline batteries in about five hours continuous use, and it is larger and heavier than many of the new models.

But as far as its ability to point me towards the cache, I have no disappointing stories to tell.

Good luck

quote:
Originally posted by fishuntr:

Canadazuuk...since I have a Magellan, and..am new at this...and I live in the desert...did I screw up by getting a Magellan??. No flame; honest question. Thanks

Nope, and when you hit the trees, you'll be equipped. It is common to hear of reception complaints with the Garmin Etrex series in moderate tree cover.

We have a Garmin 12, and rather than having distances listed in feet, we use metric. It is easier translating decimal points to distance this way. For example, a distance of .10 is approximately 100 yards, and .01 is approximately 10 yards, and when we hit ground zero, we start looking. (If we want to get to absolute zero, we switch to the lat/long page, and .001 is approximately 6 feet.) Our cache find count is at 150, and we sure have a lot of fun! It hasn't slowed us down any! icon_wink.gif

There is always Ebay. Way back around 1989/1990 I was given one of the orginal GPS Magellan Nav 1000 military units. After y2k it was no longer compliant and would cost too much to upgrade. I ended up selling it on Ebay to a collector for around $120. Just a suggestion.

I started with a Magellan 2000 just last month. I found it in the closet while cleaning. The closest I could get to a cache was 2 tenths of a mile. Not very accurate. I relied on clues and instinct to find them. It is a good unit to learn on. I've since upgraded to a Garmin Etrex Legend and love it.

I started with a GPS 2000 that I borrowed from my father. I bagged my first 10 before I picked my Garmin GPS12CX. You can get by with the 2000 but expand your search area out when searching. When you find some you will also be able to spot hiding areas better. I do not regret getting the newer GPS, would most likely never borrow my fathers again, but would not have started without it. It looses lock in the trees, the compass reverts back to North up when stopped, it only has 2 decimal places causing your to round coords and will get you with 0.1Km of the cache. But when you don't have a GPS it is priceless.

Car37 & Shnde

There is always Ebay. Way back around 1989/1990 I was given one of the orginal GPS Magellan Nav 1000 military units. After y2k it was no longer compliant and would cost too much to upgrade. I ended up selling it on Ebay to a collector for around $120. Just a suggestion.

I have an original Magellan Nav 1000M y2k not compliant. Can someone explain me how to fix this problem?

Why is too much expensive to upgrade? Does anyone know a Magellan programmer?

Also I'm collecting Magellan GPS nav 1000 PRO, 1000 PLUS, and other later 1000M version with "TARGET" button. All y2k not compliant.

best regards

I have an original Magellan Nav 1000M y2k not compliant. Can someone explain me how to fix this problem?

Why is too much expensive to upgrade? Does anyone know a Magellan programmer?

Also I'm collecting Magellan GPS nav 1000 PRO, 1000 PLUS, and other later 1000M version with "TARGET" button. All y2k not compliant.

best regards

You might be best off asking this question in the GPS and Technology Forum