60c 60cs 76c 76cs Has Same Firmware

The firmware for all this GPS is 100% alike. The all have the same name, and the same CRC32 value. (46155153)

To confirm that 76C and 60C has 100% identical hardware, and the "S" units has sensor added. The software for all four is also 100% identical.

To sum up 76C(S) floats and has more memory, that's it!!!!

They do sure seem to be identical, and I believe you're probably right. The 76s seem to be a great option for those who like the functionality of the 60c/s and want/need more memory.

Since the differences between the 2 base models is around the $40 - $50 price range, I'm wondering why Garmin produced and released two almost identical units so close together. :blink:

I really like my 60c, but if I was thinking of uprgrading to a new GPSr, I would have to go with the 76c/s. Same features with more memory makes these units hard to pass up.

If firmware it's really identical, then hardware of both C and CS must be the same.

Like in many electronic devices, some models has exactly the same hardware but with opened electronic circuits in order to avoid users can use the advanced options from a better model. I see how a partner introduced a mp3 player with only a weld in a DVD player.

Maybe Garmin know that is cheaper cutting a cable than redesign the hardware of a similar model without compass and barometer.

The firmware for all this GPS is 100% alike.  The all have the same name, and the same CRC32 value. (46155153)

To confirm that 76C and 60C has 100% identical hardware, and the "S" units has sensor added.  The software for all four is also 100% identical.

To sum up 76C(S) floats and has more memory, that's it!!!!

Are the pages the same?

In the trip computer page in the 76CS try changing the data field box so it will show the Total Ascent.

The 76S would do that but my 60CS won't. The 60CS won't have it in the list of choices. Only on the Altimeter page it will give you the choice.

Edited by capt caper

just to be an annoying software developer:

Even if the firmware images are identical, it doesn't mean that the runtime performance of the firmware on different models will be identical, or that the hardware/supported software is exactly the same. The firmware could conditionally do different things on different models, and Garmin could be just using the same image across the different models for ease of code maintenance and future support/upgrades. It's likely that the firmware storage space and mechanism for updating the firmware are the same on all the models. So if space isn't an issue, consolidating all the features of all 4 models into one firmware image saves Garmin time and headaches on future firmware releases.

IE: Use the same firmware image for all models, so all models will be upgraded with the same changes to a single code base rather than fixing the same bugs in 4 different firmware code bases. The firmware could then check to say "if this is a 60C, I expect that X piece of hardware isn't present', etc.

Just my $0.02... Keep in mind that this doesn't mean all 4 models *aren't* the exact same - and they are probably very similar. It just means that they don't *have* to be exactly the same simply because the firmware is the same image.

sean

Edited by shegget

Yes, we knew this about the time 3.00 SW came out (6-8 weeks ago?). If you look in the firmware, you'll see the four models listed.

This is extreamly common in the manufacturing business (and not just electronics). Much Much easier to maintain ONE source base than four models that are 98% the same with only a few extra peripherials added (compase and baro.).

I beleive the base maps are the same (it would make sense). The differences people are reporting could be due to zoom level settings and such.

The electronics may be different, but at least we know the CPU and memeory layout are the same.

I beleive the base maps are the same (it would make sense). The differences people are reporting could be due to zoom level settings and such.

Are you quite certain the basemaps are the same, or are you just assuming? I did a search on this board and found multiple people reporting the basemap on the 60c is not as detailed as the V. Also I did a google search and found the same comments. Also, if you look at the garmin page, they say the 76c has the same basemap as the V, but they do not make that claim for the 60c.

Sorry for being so harsh, but when I make a purchasing decision of this magnitude I want to base it on facts and not speculation. I just shelled out for the 76c in part because of the basemap issue and would hope I have been given the right information.

Don't they have different basemaps?

I understand that the 76C has the same basemap as the V, while the basemap in the 60C is less detailed.

I have not seen the base map, so I do not know. What I know is that 60C(S) has a 64MB chip and 76C(S) has 128 MB chip. There is an 8MB difference compare to 56MB/115MB. I guess that it is possible to change the base map since all memory is flash, but Garmin has hide it, so it's not user changeable.

Are you quite certain the basemaps are the same, or are you just assuming? I did a search on this board and found multiple people reporting the basemap on the 60c is not as detailed as the V. Also I did a google search and found the same comments. Also, if you look at the garmin page, they say the 76c has the same basemap as the V, but they do not make that claim for the 60c.

Sorry for being so harsh, but when I make a purchasing decision of this magnitude I want to base it on facts and not speculation. I just shelled out for the 76c in part because of the basemap issue and would hope I have been given the right information.

The base map on the 60c is a little less detailed than the Legend's and Rino's base map. For instance, I live near an intersection with a state road that is found on every base map I have seen, yet the actual street I live off of that intersects with this road is not found on the 60c's base map where it was included on the other units (this was not the result of zoom settings either).

Yet, if you do get the 60c, I would definitely consider buying City Select at some point. While you can auto route with the base map, City Select maps really make the auto routing feature of the 60c shine.

The 60C/CS has a smaller basemap than the 76C/CS, The 60C/CS may have a 64 meg chip and the 76C/CS may have a 128 meg chip. The basemap is independant of the firmware, so the firmware can be the same across all four GPS units. The 76C/CS uses the better America's Autoroute Basemap. The purpose of these selection of GPS units, that people would already have the older 76 series for their boat, and all they need to do is to slip in the new 76C/CS in the same GPS holder in their boat. The 76CS may have additional features dealing with the pressure sensor, than the 60CS. Maybe the same firmware, but may be installed differently on each one of the 4 units.

I have had a 76cs and a 60c and can say that the 2 function in similar ways--minor differences. The 76 does have a more detailed basemap but it is not adequate for navigating to a cache or anywhere off the beaten path. The basemap on the 60 only had interstates and major highways. I bought the 60C for the autonav feature and it works great--not perfect but none of them are, and it is much more geocache friendly(even though I don't use the geocache mode--yet). Personally it was not worth the extra money for the compass and barometer feature--you may feel differently. Also the batteries in my 60C last forever!!

Bottom line--the 76 is more marine/outdoorish and the 60 is for geocaching/autonav but can still do everyting the 76 can.

Merely my humble opinion!