Make Location Mandatory On Profiles

flgAZ

As a cache owner it is interesting to know where my visitors hail from. But most people just put the bare minimum of information in their profiles. I don't think it would be too intrusive to require at least country and state. It's not like your giving too much away with "Bill from California".

As it is now, if they don't put anything in the "location" field, you need to go to their profile then browse through their founds and look for what State they found most of their caches. I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this and it taking up some of the bandwidth of the website that could be used elsewhere.

As cool as it may be, at Groundspeak we believe it is up to the user to determine whether they want to give out their personal information. If it takes additional bandwith to determine a user's stomping grounds, it's no big hit on our servers.

Since you must be able to maintain your hides you probably live nearby.

That isn't always true. "Minnesota" is about all you could figure out from looking thru This Cachers' Stats.

Of course, thats a unique situation, but the approvers have allowed almost state wide hides, so . . . . ..

This comes up every now and again. If you need to know ask. I do at least log caches.

Thanks for the replies. I've had my caches out in the wild for a few months and in that short of time, I've gotten all kinds of different kind of finders (except the stealing kind, crossing my fingers). The active ones, a few being their first, and a couple who don't log on the site, but do log on paper. If mine is their first find, I do send a welcoming email.

Why I brought this subject up. I got a log from a finder that I did not recognize their user name and they had 6 finds and I just happened to look at their profile. It said they had 1 find in Arizona and 5 finds in England. They were on vacation to the Grand Canyon. If you travel over 5000 miles to snag a find, Me thinks you deserve an extra pat on the back :ph34r: and I almost missed it (I did email them, and we had a pleasant email exchange).

Since it has been awhile I went through the registration process I logged out and went through the first 3 pages of the registration. That thing is really well crafted as to assuring privacy (and the commitment Groundspeak abides to it). Mandatory was too Strong a word to use, just wondering if the third page of the registration process might be tweaked to encourage some input. Like put the box to release personal email address to the bottom of the page. As it is now it is the first choice.

I don't even want to release my email address.

If location was first perhaps more people would put something in that boxes until it got down to something they felt uncomfortable sharing, then they would stop.

Of course, thats a unique situation, but the approvers have allowed almost state wide hides, so . . . . ..

However, the original poster was just looking for state information not street address:

I don't think it would be too intrusive to require at least country and state. It's not like your giving too much away with "Bill from California".

So, most likely, cache hides would give him this information

I recognize most of the local cachers now. If I see a different name I know its either an out of towner or a new player in town.

Of course being located in the City of Reno, County of Washoe, State of Nevada, in the USA, most people log somthing like "In town for the weekend and found your cache." anyway. :ph34r:

I think it's more helpful in the forums. Knowing where a person is from helps when they post things like"I never lose locks with my etrex". Knowing the guy is from New Mexico in the south by desert would mean one thing and another if he lived in PA with all the woods. Many answers lose their meaning out of context if location is not given.

Most times I won't look up their logs to try to determine where they hail from. I just skip their posts with their suggestions or point of view. I think that's unfortunate because often their posts would be very informative if you knew where they were from.

Also, location adds a "face" on the poster and make the forum more of a community.

Alan

Edited by Alan2
I think it's more helpful in the forums. Knowing where a person is from helps when they post things like"I never lose locks with my etrex". Knowing the guy is from New Mexico in the south by desert would mean one thing and another if he lived in PA with all the woods. Many answers lose their meaning out of context if location is not given.

Yeah, pick on the guy living in New Mexico :ph34r:

Actually, I don't lose lock. In our "woods", trees grow only 10 feet tall and don't grow close to each other.

As a cache owner it is interesting to know where my visitors hail from. But most people just put the bare minimum of information in their profiles. I don't think it would be too intrusive to require at least country and state. It's not like your giving too much away with "Bill from California".

As it is now, if they don't put anything in the "location" field, you need to go to their profile then browse through their founds and look for what State they found most of their caches. I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this and it taking up some of the bandwidth of the website that could be used elsewhere.

Mandatory, huh? If that ever happens (and Jeremy said it wouldn't), I'll go "Team 360" all over this site. Gad, I hate peoples nosiness.

Agreed. If you're really curious about that person, you'll go to their profile and read their logs. That'll give you general idea of their location and what they like or don't like all at the same time.

Even asking the person would be more socially acceptable over making it mandatory in a profile. I just cringe when people feel a need to make things beyond the basics mandatory.