Does The Little Star Show The Right Coordinates?

sara&jocke

Hello!

We have a question! We're really new at this and we're going to buy/borrow a GPS later - but we just wonder if anybody knows if the star on the little map on every "cache-page" is correct?!

I mean - does it show the right coordinate?!

We'd be thankful for a answer!

/ sara&jocke

The star shows the location of the coordinates that were entered, but the map shown on the cache page is small and is not detailed enough for anything more than a general idea of the location. You can click on the links provided in the cache page to get more detailed maps. These maps also provide a mark to indicate the location of the coordinates.

from my experience, no the star doesn't show the location! It can be off by several hundered feet.

It will get you in the general area though. and if its a standard cache, it might help you find it. I tried to use the star to find 2 micros. (my first 2 caches) Not a good idea :rolleyes:

I have found the star on the map to be fairly accurate. I found my first cache using just the mapquest map (didn't have a GPS yet). I think if the cache is hidden in a park which has roads or other visible things that could be used as landmarks, using the map star and the description and hints (if given) for the cache, they are possilbe to find that way.

Weightman - I don't know if I did it right, but I couldn't see a thing (just black with a red dot). But maybe it doesn't work here in the north of Sweden?! Thanks anyway!

That may be right. I don't know what the coverage is on lostoutdoors.com. I know they assume West and North for longitude and latitude. I have not tried it for areas outside the US. There is a thread someplace (I think on the geocaching.com forum) about new maps that GC.com was putting in. Those maps would only be for areas outside the US. I have not followed that thread, but in the early portions that I did read there was some concern about the age of the maps. I just did a quick look through that forum and could not find the thread. I know that the mapquest maps don't always show on caches outside the US and Canada, but when they do they appear to be fairly accurate.

You might also check in the Nordic Countries forum to see what might be useful in that part of the world. I don't think there is any one provider of maps that has complete coverage and so there will be gaps.

Weightman - I don't know if I did it right, but I couldn't see a thing (just black with a red dot). But maybe it doesn't work here in the north of Sweden?! Thanks anyway!

That may be right. I don't know what the coverage is on lostoutdoors.com. I know they assume West and North for longitude and latitude. I have not tried it for areas outside the US. There is a thread someplace (I think on the geocaching.com forum) about new maps that GC.com was putting in. Those maps would only be for areas outside the US. I have not followed that thread, but in the early portions that I did read there was some concern about the age of the maps. I just did a quick look through that forum and could not find the thread. I know that the mapquest maps don't always show on caches outside the US and Canada, but when they do they appear to be fairly accurate.

You might also check in the Nordic Countries forum to see what might be useful in that part of the world. I don't think there is any one provider of maps that has complete coverage and so there will be gaps.

the web-site says it's only for the US because it's USGS data

I've found the star on the map to be useful. If you want greater accuracy, I'd go to a topographic map and UTM coordinates instead of lat/lon - because then you are dealing with linear measurements in meters and the scale rulers that help find the spot you want are easier to use. (Lat/lon requires measuring up in one direction, then tipping the ruler and doing many ohter arcane things.) This site might be useful.

Ok, so now we've just found our first two caches!! Thanks all of you - this time the star was quite right on the first one that we found, the other didn't even have a map next to it, so... But at least we've found some now! (Really want a GPS now..!)

Thanks!

/ Sara&jocke