Tb Idea

ahsquared

I have an idea for a new TB starting here in FL. You know those water proof Garmin GPS units will i drowned one kayaking to a Water cache. Got mea new one but am thinking about turning my old GPS into a travel bug as its last leg of life.

The Unit works but doesn't get GPS signals anymore. My plan is to make the rules for it is to have finders make a waypoint on it were they found it or left it. thought it would be cool to find it and see were its been on its little map screen.

Being new to GC I am wondering if peoploe will follow those rules?

Thats not very reassuring. I am hoping it will travel for at least 30+ caches when I set it up. It will have to wait till next month though i am pretty strapped for cash this month.

One other question do you all watching this thread know how to use a Garmin Etrex. I have been noticing that it seems most Geo cachers use some sort of Garmin product. So do you think everyone that find the thing will be able to place a waypoint with out the GPS tracking on its own. *Note it can still be attached to a computer*

Well we shall see.

Since it can still be attached to a computer, I'd include a note asking people to download the waypoints (and anything else) and e-mail them to you. That way you'll have a running backup.

Edited by bons
I guess i would just have to place my Email in the Bug's page for that.

You might be better off putting your e-mail address on the bug itself as well as having a note on the bugs page that says "contact me through geocaching.com if you're able to send me a backup of the waypoints and I'll give you an e-mail address to send it to."

That should keep the spambots from harvesting the address.

Thanks for all the help guys i am keeping it all in mind while i figure out the final plan for this bug... i have decided to go ahead and do it.

So far this is what i am going to do for this bugs goal.

To travel to all 50 states, Getting way points as it goes. When some one can i will like to get a back up of the waypoints by email. The GPS will have my email address in its battery compartment.

Also i want it to be hidden in caches 3 stars and up for difficulty (a effort to keep the bug in true geo cachers hands.

Any other things i am missing that will make this bug worth while?

it will be in a couple weeks when i do it. i am just make this thread become part of the Travel bugs log. know what i mean.

Go to this thread to discuss, blah blah blah...

i was also thinking it would be cool to take a picture of the gps were it is or "on a date" maybe with a cachers working GPS...

still throwing up ideas

You could attach a note to it that says you went to an official Garmen maintenance place, and they said it could not be repaired... Even if it's not true, that might prolong its life.

Good Idea. i have seen a few travel bugs as of late that have a plastic laminated card attached with instructions and the like.

plan on doing the same.

One other question do you all watching this thread know how to use a Garmin Etrex. I have been noticing that it seems most Geo cachers use some sort of Garmin product. So do you think everyone that find the thing will be able to place a waypoint with out the GPS tracking on its own. *Note it can still be attached to a computer*

A lot of people use Magellans, and a few even cache without GPSr's at all. I also don't know whether the interface on the eTrex is substantially similar to that of other Garmin models. I do know how to use an eTrex, but I don't have the capacity to attach a GPSr to my computer.

In short: to be safe, I would attach instructions to the bug explaining how to manually enter a waypoint.

You can put me down for 1 cache.

I reckon it,ll vanish straight away.

I reckon more than 1 but not very many more. As soon as someone with a bit of know-how in repairs finds it then they've got a new GPS and you're down a TB.

Will be interesting to see where it ends up though.

Hmm.... interesting. If I found it, I would not keep it. Because I'm rather opposed to stealing... But I would have the uncontrollable urge to try and fix it. Yes... it would probably be taken completely apart and put back together before I left it at the next cache.... then again I might not leave it at the next cache. It being fixed and all, ahsquared might want me to mail it back to him. :D

• I would play by your rules.
  • I would not steal it or try to "fix" it (risking further damage).
  • I would email a waypoint log IF I had a compatible cable; I don't think if my Garmin V cable would work.
  • I think limiting the caches it is placed in to terrain rating 3 or higher or "subscriber only" caches will increase the odds of greater longevity.
  • May the jerk who tries to spoil your fun be cursed with simultaneous prolonged and, ultimately, terminal cases of ticks, chiggers, and poison ivy!

:(

Edited by worldtraveler