Are You A "hider" Or A "seeker"?

Although I'm fairly new to geocaching (only 6 active hides and 11 finds) :( , I'm realizing that it's becoming much more gratifying for me to place a well thought-out cache, than it is to seek.

Although seeking a cache always provides that "thrill of the hunt" sensation, along with the "Ah Ha!! I found it!" few minutes of excitement, I'm finding that the real joy of geocaching for me is thinking about where (and how) to place my next cache, reading the logs for caches I've placed, maintaining my caches, and dealing with problems that arise (such as when one of my caches got 'muggled', and was subsequently returned).

I guess I'm just a sentimental "people-pleaser", but it always makes my feel great when I hear that someone got a bit of joy and fun out of finding a cache that I placed. :(

So, how's 'bout you?? Are you a "Hider", or a "Seeker"?

Rick

Both are fun, for different reasons, and I enjoy both finding and hiding (click on the link in my tagline to see proof).

I tend to hunt and hunt for caches until I'm sick of it, and then I take a little break. It's then when I do my hiding. So, I hide caches in bunches. I hid my first 5 between August and November 2002. Eight more caches were hidden in March and April of 2003, mostly in anticipation of a CITO Event that I organized in a State Park that previously had no caches in it. And I hid six caches over the Thanksgiving holiday in 2003, when I needed a break after some 50-cache weekends to close out the fall season.

I expect to spend the second half of July taking another break - concentrating on attending events and hiding some more caches that I've been thinking about for months. Right now I am in "find mode."

For the reasons described above, I am opposed to limits on how many caches one person should be able to hide in a short timeframe like one month, as has been suggested in other forum topics. I have "just" 24 hides, three of which are archived, and I feel I can maintain another 5 or 10.

I've always been a hider. Hid my first cache after my first find. I like looking for interesting new spots to place caches and being that I'm in the most densely cached state in the US, that's not an easy trick anymore. My evenings are sometimes spent reading topo maps, trail maps and scanning newspapers for articles about new green acres purchases.

I generally don't create puzzle, or trick caches. I place the kind of caches I like to find, straightforward caches in interesting places (well there are some purposefully lame ones too, for those who like quick finds). For me the "Ah, ha!" comes when I find a park, or significant section of a park that is cacheless, especially if it has scenic, or historic interest.

Like the OP, I look forward to reading the logs. When I see that someone ejoyed themselves while hunting one of my caches it makes the effort worthwhile.

Edited by briansnat
and being that I'm in the most densely cached state in the US, that's not an easy trick anymore.

Not sure where you re located, but it could certainly be this area in Colorado. We are new to the pasttime so we are still learning to look; but I would really enjoy creating some good caches. My only problem is that everytime I think of or go by an area that I think would be good, I find when I look it up on Groundspeak I discover it is already populated with several caches. Sad part is, many of them are what I would call "drive bys" -- don't bother turning off the engine when you park, you won't be out of the car that long. Plus, the kind of cache I am thinking of would be a multi with requirements for some space.

It would really be neat if someone could start a thread on tips to locate areas suitable for hiding different kinds of caches.

My only problem is that everytime I think of or go by an area that I think would be good, I find when I look it up on Groundspeak I discover it is already populated with several caches. Sad part is, many of them are what I would call "drive bys" -- don't bother turning off the engine when you park, you won't be out of the car that long.

I think you answered your own problem in part. If the all the caches in a certain park are drive-bys, walk a couple of miles into the park, find a nice spot and place your own cache. Just because there are already caches in a park, doesn't mean its off limits to new ones. As long as your cache is a positive addition to the geocaching experience in your area, go for it.

Edited by briansnat

I really enjoy finding clever urban micros. I also enjoy the occassional 5 mile hike to places few go. And I like interesting virtuals. And I like night caching. :(

I'll always be a seeker. Although I enjoy maintaining the few caches I own (especially reading the logs), I'd rather be seeking. :(:(

I prefer to plant the back country caches. But after awhile my finds 141 - 75% and plants 45 - 25% says numericaly speaking I prefer to find than plant, but the reality is planting is a lot more fun, and a lot more work some times. And my next idea for a back country cache should be one that not many cachers will go look for because it will involve 4 separate hikes (caches) about 28 miles to just obtain the coordinates for the last one and that will be a bout a 10 mile hike.