My Bad Dream

So last night I had an odd dream (trazadone tends to do that...).

I dreamt that in the middle of his work day, Jeremy just dropped dead! The servers were almost at a stand-still as geocachers filled the forums with their grief. No one knew what would happen to the sport of geocaching...

Well, much like the I'm-a-time-traveling-Cthulhu-looking-for-a-Cub-foods-in-Baghdad dream, it was just REM sleep and was gone by morning... OR WAS IT???

I think the dream was in reaction to the amazing efforts that Jeremy has put forth lately (server switches, Jeep contest, etc.). I think he needs to take a day off and actually have fun playing the sport that he has thanklessly provided to us!

So there! My dream meant Jeremy-take-a-fricken-day-off-already!!!

Although Freud may have a different theory... :(

Ummm, was he smokin' a cigar in that dream...... Or what?

Sn :(  :D gans

Uuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh h hh?

ROFLMAO!

Hey,

For the record; A cigar is JUST a cigar to me.

Now, if "I" had a dream about Mystery Woman smokin' a cigar, Freud would pretty much have my number on THAT.

Sn :D:D gans

I dreamt that in the middle of his work day, Jeremy just dropped dead! The servers were almost at a stand-still as geocachers filled the forums with their grief. No one knew what would happen to the sport of geocaching...

You just wasn't asking the right people. :(

There's another site that just went live. The word would get out and people would flock over there.

Many regional clubs have developers at their disposal. I'm sure they'd start hosting for their members.

gc.com wasn't the beginning, nor will it be the end of geocaching.

Ummm, was he smokin' a cigar in that dream...... Or what?

Now, if "I" had a dream about Mystery Woman smokin' a cigar, Freud would pretty much have my number on THAT.

So are you saying Jeremy is a woman??? :D

And sometimes a cigar, is just a cigar... :(

Edited by SnowLeopard

Well, the latest figures show that 5.4% of all registered geocachers (12,495 out of approximately 229,000) logged any caching activity within the preceding 7 days. 6,000 new accounts were apparently created during the week (judging by the number assigned the newest registered member), but 340 fewer accounts logged caching activity. A whopping 94.6% of registered geocachers did not log any geocaching activity.

It has been mentioned in the forums many times that only a tiny fraction of the registered users ever visit the forums ... your thread made me wonder how the number of forum users (who would innundate the servers with their outpouring of grief ... on topic) compares to the number of users actively seeking geocaches.

Edited by Bassoon Pilot
You just wasn't asking the right people. :(

There's another site that just went live. The word would get out and people would flock over there.

Interesting thought, but I wonder what the reality of it is?

I've heard a few numbers tossed out as to the volume of this site. I remember hearing 1 million page views per day back at the beginning of the year. The amount of cache logs per week has doubled since then, so one can only guess at the bandwidth used now. Jeremy also mentioned somewhere almost 1 million photos are stored on the site.

Alexa.com is a fairly large ranking site (owned by amazon.com) and places geocaching.com among the top 14,000 busiest websites on the internet. Certainly not in the range of amazon or google, but pretty high up considering all the millions of websites out there. Much higher then the next largest geocaching site sitting in the 353,552 spot right now.

I imagine if the word did get out, and people flocked to one of the current sites, the "slashdot effect" would bring the new site to it's knees. The sudden traffic increase could cost the new site $1000s of dollars in bandwidth overuse charges in a matter of days, even if it's servers didn't meltdown. It's nice to have the other sites to fall back on, but how many would stay up if they started costing the owner $5000 a month to keep running, instead of $25? If they did stay up, you think they would stay free?

Alexa.com is a fairly large ranking site (owned by amazon.com) and places geocaching.com among the top 14,000 busiest websites on the internet.

Yeah, but 90 percent of that is me posting.

Nope! :(

Don't forget, the forums are a whole different website/server.

Groundspeak.com (which includes the forums) is ranked separately at 49,905th place.

Don't know much about Groundspeak, but somehow I think it's more than a wild-eyed Jeremy sitting in skid-marked skivvys at a computer 24 hours a day. The company would survive I suppose - certainly the game would, were he to move on to that great ammo can in the sky.

I think the idea that sans Jeremy this site would die is ludicrous - it's taken on a life of its own. Not that I want to test that theory - I like what little I know of him!

As far as the migration to other caching sites - why would you? As far as I can see the "me too" sites and the "I''m not GC.com" sites have become a haven for malcontents and folks who could not find acceptance here.

I think the best folks in geocaching are here, and will stay here, and those who can't deal will move on to other sites or hobbies.