What Are The Odds?

What are the odds of this happening? A few months ago, I placed a multicache. A recent log stated that the finder was actually looking for a letterbox and found my cache by mistake. I checked the local letterboxes, and sure enough, I found one that appears to have been placed in the very same hiding place as my cache. The letter box was reported to be "gone missing" (which is actually appropriate since I named my cache "Gone Fishing" partly for the theme and partly as a play on words on the title "gone missing.") I find this a rather amusing coincidence, but I'm wondering if there is a problem with this. I am thinking of putting in an inkpad and a stamp (a fish, of course), and a special logbook for letterbox stamps and then putting in a card that reads, "Attention Letterboxers. If you found this cache by mistake, please add your stamp here." I also would want to remind them that they cannot take an item unless they leave something, but they should feel free to leave their own stamp in the book. Should I try to contact the original letterbox owner? Should I add a note to my cache about this? Just wondering.

When FullCT and I were hunting in Indiana last may I found a letterbox on the way to a cache. I thought we had found the cache and that the coordinates were 150 feet off. We proceeded on to the coordinates and found the cache. I did not know anything about letterboxing at the time. needless to say, it was very confusing for a moment.

letterboxers think just like geocachers when it comes to hides. When looking for a place for a cache of mine once I found a letterbox exactly where I wanted to hide mine. I signed the log book since I didn't have a stamp and went to look for another place. Later in the same area I spotted a nice hollowed tree... the hollow was not open enough to put a cache in, but when looking inside the small opening I could see a container. On the other side of the tree was a small perfectly fitting peice of wood you could remove and inside was a letterbox... a terrific hide and I found it on accident just looking for a good spot.

I plan to make myself a stamp and start letterboxing as well as caching... whenever I get the energy to carve a stamp. I might even make a letterbox hybrid cache.

Before any toes get squashed contact the owner of the box. They are the ones you need to be talking to.

Most definitely. E-mail the owner through the LB site (I don't think you have to be a registered user to do it), and let them know what's going on, and what you'd like to do.

Many letterboxers use the same criteria for hides as many geocachers, so there are bound to be places where they are close together. I found one about 40 feet from one of my caches during a maint trip. It had obviously been found by geocachers because I saw some familiar names in the logbook. I placed a note inside saying "this is not the geocache".

I also have one abandoned cache that I've been looking after. I noticed a log that complained that the cache was soaked and the pen had leaked all over. The log also mentioned the person found sunglasses nearby and put them inside the cache.

I went and checked and the cache was fine. I was stumped. Then I figured I'd bag the letterbox that was in the same area. Found it and sure enough it was soaked, with ink from the pad all over and a pair of sunglasses inside. The geocacher had found the letterbox. The odd thing was that in this instance, they were at least 200 feet apart.

There have also been instances where letterboxes were mistaken for caches and the geocacher traded out the cool stamp.

In your case, I'd contact the letterbox owner, but I've found that they are not always easy to get in touch with. The letterboxing.org site isn't as user friendly as GC.COM. If you can't get in touch, then I'd go with your idea of adding a stamp and separate pad for letterboxers. Then have your admin change the cache to a letterbox hybrid.

Edited by briansnat
I am thinking of putting in an inkpad and a stamp (a fish, of course), and a special logbook for letterbox stamps and then putting in a card that reads, "Attention Letterboxers.  If you found this cache by mistake, please add your stamp here."  I also would want to remind them that they cannot take an item unless they leave something, but they should feel free to leave their own stamp in the book.

very cool. Thumbs up!!!!

Should I try to contact the original letterbox owner?  Should I add a note to my cache about this?  Just wondering.
I'd say "Yes and Yes."
Well, I tried to contact the letterbox owner, and my e-mail bounced back. Not sure what to do now.

It may well be abandoned. Just throw a stamp and pad and notbook inside your cache call it a letterbox hybrid. it might be a good idea to put them in a smaller container inside the box and label it as "letterboxing items, not for trade".

Well, I tried to contact the letterbox owner, and my e-mail bounced back. Not sure what to do now.

Join the letterbox talk list and ask there. It might be abandoned, or they might know that the owner is in the middle of a move or taking a hiatus. There needs to be some sort of resolution for that box. Shouldn't just leave it there becoming trash without attempting figuring out what to do with it.

Always nice to see the Ceili Girls in here! <_<

I say if you can't find the letterbox owner and see what they want to do, go ahead and make it into a geocache/letterbox hybrid.

I have been dragging my feet getting a stamp for letterboxing. Since I haven't found Gone Fishing yet and was planning to do it soon, I guess I had better get that done! :rolleyes:

Hi Carleen,

Yes, now we're into the forums; I guess that means we're going to get addicted to checking the forums. Sigh. Anyway, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to change the cache type. First of all, I'm not sure it's possible unless we start over. Also, if we changed it to a letterbox hybrid, then it wouldn't show up as a multicache. I might just add a note stating what's going on. Anyway, I'll let you know when I add the letterbox items to it. I'm not sure when we'll get to it.

We found the same one in Hartsville that HappyBoy mentioned. Me, being the brains of our operation, knew what it was right off. The rest of them had no idea what was going on....I had to 'xplain it to 'em. Turned out the Girl Scouts (think it was GS's anyway) thought they might get more hits if they put it there with the cache and I'd imagine they were right...they got us and HappyBoy after all!

Gwen