Been Thinking About A Magellan Meridian?

For a look at (nav) screens on the Magellan Meridian, this is what they look like:

http://www.fingertech.co.uk/gps_magellan_m...an_screens.html

This doesn't begin to describe the good points, including upgradable memory, this very capable unit is in a small to medium sized package (6.5 x 2.9 x 1.2"). There's a handy small canvas case available for you belt or backpack with room for extra batteries or logs. This is not an advertisement, just sharing info., Get the Gold!

Don't forget that all those screens are customizeable. For instance, if you don't like the "speed" field in the compass screen, you can change it to an EPE (estimated error) field, which is how I have mine, so when the GPS says the distance is 0 to the cache, I can easily see how far off the GPS might be.

None of my screens look like those (anymore).

For a look at (nav) screens on the Magellan Meridian, this is what they look like:

http://www.fingertech.co.uk/gps_magellan_m...an_screens.html

This doesn't begin to describe the good points, including upgradable memory, this very capable unit is in a small to medium sized package (6.5 x 2.9 x 1.2"). There's a handy small canvas case available for you belt or backpack with room for extra batteries or logs. This is not an advertisement, just sharing info., Get the Gold!

Got the Platinum. It's even better than Gold. :rolleyes:

I'm a Platy guy and love the unit. But I'm not so sure the differences ar worth the extra $ over the Gold.

If I had bought the Gold, I would have been pining away for the extras. I treated my GPS purchase like I do my PC purchase. Buy all that you can afford now with no regrets later.

Got the Platinum. It's even better than Gold.

While I agree that it is technically "better", I don't think it is worth it either. My friend has a Plat, and he NEVER uses the barometer/weather station, and very rarely uses the compass. He doesn't care about having them, and I don't miss them on mine. I always find caches before him also... :(

My friend has a Plat, and he NEVER uses the barometer/weather station, and very rarely uses the compass. He doesn't care about having them, and I don't miss them on mine.

I don't suppose your friend wants to trade? I'm about to buy an analog compass to accompony me on my ventures and if I had a digital compass in my merigold, I'd probably just get the cheapest compass possible as a backup.

I should point out that the only time I've ever really needed a compass was when the signal dropped out in some very think brush. I was no longer able to see the sun before the signal wasn't strong enough and even then it was intermitant so I could still get my position and heading every 10 seconds or so.

Which brings me to what I think is one of the best features of the Meridian line. The quad helix antenna ownz, hardcore. I routinely leave mine in the console of my car (between the driver and passenger seats) and have no problem keeping a signal with it there. From what I've heard, many people have to leave their GPSr on the dash to keep a signal.

I too, agree that the Meridian quad helix "ownz" :D, hardcore. :D I really like my Meridian, and the reception is great. I own a real compass, that I carry with me, but I have yet to use it out of necessity. Actually, I don't really use it "just for fun" either. The barometer is cool I guess, but you have to leave it on, or some strange thing. It has to gather info for 24 hours or something stupid. It's neat if you are out hiking in back country, but in the city, I don't see it as that helpful.

Built in compasses are cool though, but definitely not that important.

I have the Meridian Color, and it rocks!. Once you have color, you will never go back.

I espcially like that the Meridian plays so well with all my mapping software (Mapsend Topo, National Geographic Topo!, Microsoft Steets 2002, and GSAK).

My only complaint is that I don't have a barometric altimeter, but that is minor really.