Bootlegs

Criminal

:D Copyright violation and plagerism are really the sincerest forms of flattery aren't they? :( As long as what you are putting in is legal, I wouldn't think that it should be a problem. Maybe you could be a little more subtle about it? You know how we put "tools" in caches and not knives? Just my $00.02 worth :D
I know we're not supposed to place illegally copied CDs in caches, or make a cache devoted to such discs, but what if you have a legally made copy of a quasi-legal import CD?

Geezzz...... I never knew this about copied cd's. What kind of holier than thou skunk would waste their time to try and turn you in anyway.

What kind of holier than thou skunk would waste their time to try and turn you in anyway.

<lenny_and_squiggy>Hello!</lenny_and_squiggy>

Just kiddin'. :(

My personal opinion -- which would run counter my legal opinion, if I were to give it, which I'm not -- would be to do it. Copyright law is hopelessly anachronistic, and I think that every little prick that damages it in the slightest is a good thing. A few trillion pricks later, and maybe it'll die.

After the revolution comes, I fear.

What kind of holier than thou skunk would waste their time to try and turn you in anyway.

<lenny_and_squiggy>Hello!</lenny_and_squiggy>

Just kiddin'. :(

My personal opinion -- which would run counter my legal opinion, if I were to give it, which I'm not -- would be to do it. Copyright law is hopelessly anachronistic, and I think that every little prick that damages it in the slightest is a good thing. A few trillion pricks later, and maybe it'll die.

After the revolution comes, I fear.

If you derrived your livelyhood in producing intellectual property, perhaps you might consider the theives to be the "little pricks"

(step onto soapbox)

I am not a lawyer though I have been following the whole morass that is Copyright extremely closely for a considerable length of time.

First, the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 explicitly states:

Section 1008. Prohibition on certain infringement actions

No action may be brought under this title alleging infringement of copyright based on the manufacture, importation, or distribution of a digital audio recording device, a digital audio recording medium, an analog recording device, or an analog recording medium, or based on the noncommercial use by a consumer of such a device or medium for making digital musical recordings or analog musical recordings.

This combined with the royalty requirements in the earlier sections of the act means that as a consumer you are protected from being held liable for copyright infringement for copying a CD. Have you ever noticed that "Audio" CDR blanks are more expensive than "Data" CDR? That is due to the royalty payment attached to the Audio CDR.

Now the RIAA will tell you that this is nonsense and that they are suing hundreds of people for file-sharing. I would note that not one of these cases has actually been adjudicated, and in the case of file sharing there is no Audio CRD involved i.e.: no royalty has been paid.

Please understand that I am not a lawyer, rather a well-informed layperson. In my opinion. The AHRA was passed specifically to deal with the issue of digital media and perfect copies. The Recording Industry is receiving their royalties and thus should not have standing to sue someone for sharing a CDR copy of a commercial CD. None of the file-sharing lawsuits involve CDR copies of a CD.

Artists on the other hand will (rightly) argue that they see nothing (or next to nothing) of the royalties from CDR purchases. They are entirely correct, but the solution is not to go after the consumers for exercising their legal rights but rather to go after the Recording Industry which has a long history of abusive and anti-trust behavior.

(ok, I am off my soapbox now)

I would absolutely consider leaving a copy of a CD (especially an import such as was described) in a cache as entirely appropriate.

Edited by drllama
...I've been tempted to put copied CDs in a cache before (there's always a bunch in my car!)... I'd love to find 'em, and would definately trade for 'em, but...

i figured the puritans out there wouldn't appreciate the 'stolen goods' like i would :(

I love bootlegs of popular songs done in acoustic they aren't generally released anyway so feel free to trade em if you have em. I won't tell either.

Edited by Team Lyons

Is the CD a full CD burn or a compilation? Not that is really matters. Steal a bunch from one person or a little from many?

I've left compilations...but I never log that I left them either in the cache log book or online.

Since you brought it up, I'm sure there will be a wonderful new rule explicitly forbidding them from being placed in caches. I'd expect to see the new rule posted in ... oh...say...47 minutes, along with a stern warning from the RIAA aimed specifically at Geocachers. (laughs) This new rule will, of course, cause everyone to start doing about 23 minutes after the rule is posted.

In fact, I may place a laptop in the woods with a satellite internet connection, loaded up with Kazaa and a solar generator to power it. The screen saver will have a bonus coordinate on it to find the box of blank CDs. I shall call my creation Mishap's Magical Cache-free Music Box. And for those content with just taking the whole apparatus, instead of just downloading some righteous tunes, I shall equip the area with a perimeter of underground explosives that will detonate if the laptop crosses said perimeter.

If you derrived your livelyhood in producing intellectual property, perhaps you might consider the theives to be the "little pricks"

Speaking as someone who *DOES* derive his livelyhood from "intellectual property", all I can say is that if you also derive your livelyhood from "intellectual property", and consider someone who is providing you free publicity and exposure a "thief" or "little prick", you're in the wrong line of work.

Speaking as someone who *DOES* derive his livelyhood from "intellectual property", all I can say is that if you also derive your livelyhood from "intellectual property", and consider someone who is providing you free publicity and exposure a "thief" or "little prick", you're in the wrong line of work.

Am I the only one left in the world who keeps a dictionary by the computer and uses it regularly?

Am I the only one left in the world who keeps a dictionary by the computer and uses it regularly?

can't speak for anyone else but I had better things to do at school besides learning where to put commas and learning how to spell every word correctly. . Get, off, your , high , hoarse, your ;no , better, than, any-one, else.

Hey... it's OK in Canada...

Recent Federal Court decision

I believe that intellectual property should always remain the property of the owner.

But isn't it kind-of-like telling a story to a friend of yours that you heard from another friend?

How far does this go?

D...

(edit to add): I also think that some of the copied CD's left in caches might not last as long as an original CD left in a cache.

Edited by davwil
I'm really not talking about copying a CD you own and leaving it in a cache. I'm talking about imports, CDs you cannot get in the states. Since they are unavailable anyway, would this make a good cache item?

this really is an interesting question. I believe there are such things as international copyrights, but I know NOTHING about them. I would have 1 question though. How would you have obtained this music. Is this something you purchased while in another country? Grey market means a lot of things. In my business when a supplier offers me grey market material, it is usually a domestic product which has been produced for a foriegn market. usually, then labled in German, French, or Japaneese. I don't know that that makes any difference in your situation.

yes

http://www.m-w.com :bad:

I believe the remark was regarding my (mis)spelling. Even if I keep that dictionary open in my browser, it is highly unlikely that I am going to check my questionable words ( of which there are many). If the forum had a built in spell checker it would help, but I think I will just have to ask you all to forgive my poor spelling mistakes and I will forgive yours.

as an independent recording artist, every time someone tells me they like my work so much that they made an illegal copy of it instead of buying it, my stomach sinks. that's $10 i don't recover toward my recording costs.

the recording industry may have run away with the royalties, but the copyright laws protect the artists as well. i will be happy to turn in people who distribute illegal copies. call me a little prick if you want. it's still theft of someone's intellectual property.

when i fing illegal discs in caches, i treat them as i would knives and food. go ahead and flame me. the law is on my side, and i'm not so keen on justifications of breaking the law. stealing is wrong. there are no excuses.

as an independent recording artist, every time someone tells me they like my work so much that they made an illegal copy of it instead of buying it, my stomach sinks. that's $10 i don't recover toward my recording costs.

the recording industry may have run away with the royalties, but the copyright laws protect the artists as well. i will be happy to turn in people who distribute illegal copies. call me a little prick if you want. it's still theft of someone's intellectual property.

when i fing illegal discs in caches, i treat them as i would knives and food. go ahead and flame me. the law is on my side, and i'm not so keen on justifications of breaking the law. stealing is wrong. there are no excuses.

No flame here, I agree.