Egnos Is Here !

As from the 1st of April, EGNOS is out of 'testing' and into operation . . . .

Will this make searching easier ? Or will it just run batteries down quicker ??

Well... they were all placed without EGNOS/WAAS, so it may not help all that much at the moment. I suppose if people start posting co-ords with their logs, cache owners might start spotting a more frequently reported set of co-ords.

Good news though. I used it last year when it was being tested, and it was nice to see accuract of approx 7ft.

I'd certainly be very interested to hear from anyone who believes their GPS is now more accurate (if it uses EGNOS).

I've been using GPS for land navigation for many years but only started geocaching a couple of days ago. We went out with some experienced geo-caching friends who had a very much more up to date GPS than ours and approaching a local cache we rapidly determined that my old clockwork GPS was miles out and switched it off. Despite much searching we never located the cache... sooo next day my wife and I went there again; this time our GPS was indicating a location well over 50 yards from where we had been the previous day... and we soon located the cache!

What this proves I don't know. Our friends' GPS has been perfectly reliable for them, achieving an over 90% return rate on caches. Could it have been a jamming exercise? Most unlikely in Berkshire but plainly soemthing was causing both GPS' to be wildly inaccurate (although they would have sufficed for normal road navigation).

I don't know how EGNOS works but based upon recent experience one would hope that it would improve things. We shall see!

As from the 1st of April, EGNOS is out of 'testing' and into operation . . . .

More details - HERE

Will this make searching easier ? Or will it just run batteries down quicker ??

I don't want to worry you, but this year is 2004, not 2003! Last year there WAS egnos test coverage, but from a different satellite... that stopped back in Sept 2003, I think.

Currently, we're awaiting the Artemis satellite to come online... it is due about now. But you'll see that the only listed schedule is for IOR-W.

Paul

[...]We went out with some experienced geo-caching friends who had a very much more up to date GPS than ours and approaching a local cache we rapidly determined that my old clockwork GPS was miles out and switched it off[...]

I suppose that you and your friend had both their GPS'r on with a distance of about 1 meter between them.

In those circumstances it is always possible that they interfere with each others reception. It is a situation nobody wants but there will always be frequencies that escape to the outside world by way of the not-shielded antenna.

And two machines doing the same job are prone to these effects (many internal oscillations are the same between them).

But I also hear about a carnavigation unit that went wrong when the carradio was tuned to about 1.5 MHz.