Race Through America 2004

raceamerica

Shoot for 1 May, if you can't make that, then do the best you can, keeping in mind that the other bugs will have a lead on you the longer you wait. At some point I'll decide on a cut off, when the racers that were on time are far ahead. A month?

Very cool.

I bought my Nephew some tags and I wanted to help him get set up. I'm outta town this weekend though..... We're in.

Yes, it's okay to use the logo for all things RTA :rolleyes:

Speaking of the logo... I'll post a picture of the certificate template and the button design on the race web page this evening, and a picture of the button itself once they're done. (I haven't ordered the buttons yet, first things first.)

Can a racer enter after the official start date of the race?

Back on 24 Apr I wrote...

Because there is no launch event, there's not much point in having a strict start date, so I might as well make it flexible. TRY to get the reference number in by 1 May though. In fairness to the racers that are on time, there will be no handicapping: late entrants will start behind the ones that were on time, will have to try to catch up, will not be eligible for the creative racer contest, and I may run out of race buttons.

Later I wrote something about a month late as a final cut off.

:)

Can a racer enter after the official start date of the race?

Back on 24 Apr I wrote...

Because there is no launch event, there's not much point in having a strict start date, so I might as well make it flexible. TRY to get the reference number in by 1 May though. In fairness to the racers that are on time, there will be no handicapping: late entrants will start behind the ones that were on time, will have to try to catch up, will not be eligible for the creative racer contest, and I may run out of race buttons.

Later I wrote something about a month late as a final cut off.

:)

O.K. I have a spare TB at home. I'll e-mail you the info when I activate it tonight and hopefully the weather will be nice here in Ohio this weekend so I can place it in a cache.

The fans anxiously await the start of the second biggest race of the year, When interviewed Geojed said I'm placing the bug the second it's possable and very close to the air port

(Just to be 100 % sure in starts at 12:00 east coast time or 8 in alaska. Right?)

Edited by geojed

The race starts 1 May, technically at 0:00 local time, so midnight on the East coast and midnight in Alaska. Isn't that how caches are logged? Based on local time?

Unless someone picks up the bug you place this evening and picks it up before midnight, I think you're okay that it will still be in a cache in Alaska at midnight there. Hmmm, do you have any enemies?

When I get up tomorrow morning, I'll initialize each of the racer maps with the cache each racer is in (or was in at the beginning of the day). If it is not in a cache, then the map will remain blank until the bug is placed.

Edited by raceamerica

Wait a minute thats not what you said a couple days ago

Because the bugs are racing the US, the race starts on the East coast.

Its very important we get this stratened out in the next three hours

(If my bug started in AK and ended in NY it would lose four hours if we did local time)

Edited by geojed

Just made the deadline - I finally got my racer finished and entered, with little time to spare. :D

Each of my daughters also have been working on racers ALL WEEK. they have finally finished debating what to use and how to paint them. They are finished and also entered. Talk about down to the wire.... :D

Edited by Dirty_Bird
Wait a minute thats not what you said a couple days ago

Because the bugs are racing the US, the race starts on the East coast.

Its very important we get this stratened out in the next three hours

(If my bug started in AK and ended in NY it would lose four hours if we did local time)

This is what I wrote:

Unless a night cacher places a racer bug, it shouldn't be a problem when 00:00 is, but local time is more appropriate in this case. Because the bugs are racing the US, the race starts on the East coast. Oh well.

... which means the race starts on the East coast, then moves across the country.

If you want to consider starting at 20:00 Alaska time, East coast midnight, that's okay.

Most everything's updated to get the race started. Including a new page for the state rankings. Still need to add a way to vote for the most creative racer. (Probably a copy of the CircumConUS scheme, unless email voting works for y'all.)

Six of the 20 racers are actually in states, including geojed's journey across america in Alaska.

Rules question:

(1) Is it acceptable to log a bug into, and then back out of a cache? (2) If so, is any proof of the visit needed (other than the physical log book being signed and the racer properly noted)? (3) Also if so, can a racer be logged into a micro cache (or in and out of it)? (4) I assume a virtual cache is not acceptable, correct?

Edited by Team GeoDillo
Rules question:

(1) Is it acceptable to log a bug into, and then back out of a cache? (2) If so, is any proof of the visit needed (other than the physical log book being signed and the racer properly noted)? (3) Also if so, can a racer be logged into a micro cache (or in and out of it)? (4) I assume a virtual cache is not acceptable, correct?

Y'all like rules...

The rules have been rewritten, or added, to hopefully clarify these issues:

<<

Racers may not be mailed, shipped, transported, etc between cachers or muggles after the race starts, but must be carried from cache to cache by cachers. Racers can be placed multiple times by the same cacher, and can include in-out placements.

Racers may only be placed in regular/micro caches, no virtual or

locationless caches. Some micros are pretty big, so they can't be ruled out, but hopefully the racer could fit in the cache, even if the drop is an in-out.

Cache owners will be asked to check the physical log books in the case of questionable placements, i.e., did Transam really travel through 5 Western states in one day?

>>

<_< As a little gift on my part to the race organizers and competitors, you can now just type RaceThroughAmerica.com to get to the main race info page.  Enjoy!

Scott of Team GeoDillo

Oops...

Thanks for the domain name.

I forgot that part.

... I'm gonna late to work today.

... though the domain name doesn't do anything for me, because my interaction with the pages is through ftp :ph34r:

Edited by raceamerica

Rewrote the rule again on the web page to clarify further:

<<

Racers may not be mailed, shipped, transported, grabbed, etc between cachers or muggles after the race starts, but must be carried from cache to cache by cachers. Racers can be placed by any cacher (including any racer bug owner), can be placed multiple times by the same cacher, and placements can include in-out placements.

>>

Edited by raceamerica