Question About Multicaching?

geobishop

Hi there all. I was thinking about setting up a multicache along a route that I like to walk. I walked through there today and there are no places to hide even a film canister.

I was thinking of giving the waypoint to the next clue as something written on an object in the area. I was thinking I could just writing the next waypoint on one of the branches of a tree or a post or the side of a step with a pen or something.

It would be missed by anyone that did not know what to look for, but for someone that knew the clue was, it would be kinda easy to find.

Would this be ok?

I was thinking I could just writing the next waypoint on one of the branches of a tree or a post or the side of a step with a pen or something.

Would this be ok?

Nope, sounds like grafitti. Find some signs with #'s and then make a mathematical solution to find the final coordinates.

And look there should be someplace to stash something.

You might try hidding 35MM film cans with the next set of coordinates in the trees. Or maybe you could attach some type of tag to a tree limb (people don't normally look up into tree.), with the needed info.

How about attaching something to the underside of the steps?

Last question... If there is no place to hide anything along the way, is there some place to place the final (cache container) leg of the multi?

Good luck.

John

If you can't find a hiding spot, how about using an object discription to solve a clue at the location. :P Something like, "The first 4 letters of the color of the house directely north of the location added to the following; n40 _ _.589 w122 _ _.258 :o Where A=1, B=2....z=26. :P If the house was blue then the coordinates would be N40 BL.589 W122 UE.122.

You can do the math by adding or subtracting or whatever to make it work.

As this does require the cacher to go to the location to get the color your goal of making them walk the trail would be achievied. :D

Depends on where your at. Attaching something could be considered vandalism. How is nailing a plate into a sign post any different than scratching your initials into it with a knife?

I've seen a cache that was a multistage with the coordinates for the next stage written on a rock. This could be considered vandalism. It also encourages people to flip rocks over to look under them, thats not a good thing in a nicely landscaped park.

Another cache I've seen had a bumper type sticker attached to a utility box on a pole. On the sticker was the company name and logo of the maker of the box along with, in a much smaller font, a long number that was the coordinates to the next stage. Again this could be considered vandalism if the owner of the utility pole came along and wanted to scrape that sticker off.

In my opinion this is why its so important to get the land owner or land managers permission before you go making a permant mark on something. Its one thing to hide a container that could easily be removed without any permanent damage. Its totally different to leave permanent marks.

I dont know the terrain, or area you are walking through, but if there are metal objects, (fenceposts, guardrails, etc.) a good way to hide a micro or stage for a multi is a magnetic keybox. They are usually dark, not easily noticed if on the bottom or back of something. I have also seen very small plastic boxes with velcro attaching them to the bottom of objects. Be creative!!!