60cs And City Select Help

I just received my 60CS and City Select NA v5. I am attempting to transfer City Select data to the GPS and all seems to go fine except I cannot see the detailed street data on the GPS - I still only see the base map data. All seems fine on computer and GPS as data is being tranferred (i.e., both indicate the transfer is occuring and successful). I checked and the data I transferred is making it to the GPS (e.g., the waypoints, routes, points of interest, etc. are all there) - except for the street level detail. The map I transferred to test out the process is listed and checked off in the Map Information/Map Setup menu, so that's not it.

Clearly this 60CS newbie and his Scout son are missing something. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Michael

A couple of obvious things that it sounds like you've done, but I might as well mention them -- make sure you are selecting the maps you want in MapSource with the selection tool. When you do, they are listed on the side, along with a running tally of how much memory they will take up. Then when you click "Save to GPS" on MapSource, make sure "MAPS" is checked along with ROUTES and TRACKS. Finally, in the 60CS map setup menu, scroll over to the "information" tab and hit MENU again and ask it to "show all maps" or whatever the command is. You shouldn't have to do that last step, it should be turned on automatically.

Other than those basic things, I can't imagine what the problem could be unless you aren't looking at the area of the basemap where you loaded a detailed map. :rolleyes:

Thanks 4x5shooter. Same procedures I followed, defintely the right area (I got it down to one small area where I live to try and fix this thing) and all worked as it should have, just no detail on the GPS. Appreciate the thoughts. Going to start from scratch on a different computer today.

Murph - from what I can tell, in map setup/map information you can check and uncheck which maps to use. If you hit Menu key in this setup area, you will have the option of showing or hiding the basemap. Then try to uncheck the other maps listed under map information. Even though mine is not showing the detailed maps, I have spent so much time digging around there trying to get mine to work, that I think this should get you what you want.

Michael

Murph, as Michael said, hit "Menu" when on the information tab of the map setup, and turn off the detailed maps. You'll see the basemap then. The basemap is terrible, just vectors (straight line point to point) of the main roads -- you'll never use it once you have the detailed maps loaded.

Michael, is it possible the maps are there but you aren't zooming in enough? I guess not, since if you set detail to "most," it should show detail even when you are zoomed out. Strange problem. Have you tried hitting the "Find" button and seeing if it finds anything (restaurants, points of interest) near you? I wonder if they uploaded.

Zoom has no effect. What is interesting is in the maps information menu all of the maps I uploaded are there listed and checked. However when I select "hide the base map" the GPS map shows "no map" down in the corner. So with the uploaded maps checked, they are not showing on the unit. However, points of interest, address all are found, just puts a waypoint mark in the middle of an open field with no roads, etc.

I'll try Garmin tomorrow. Thanks.

In case anyone suffers a similar problem and reads this I thought I would post that this seems to be a significant issue with the 60CS. I stumped the online tech support after 1 hour of trying everything I had already tried and I live only 10 miles from Garmin so I went by today and had it looked at and after another hour of trying everything (again) they admitted had not seen anything like it. Good news - I'm not an idiot. Bad news - they "confiscated" my unit and said they would get back to me.

Will keep anyone interested in the outcome posted.

Michael

Sorry for the delayed update. I live pretty close to Garmin and they have had my unit for a while. The good news is I am not an idiot (was worried there for a while), the bad news is that the unit came with "corrupt data". After and hour on the phone and then an hour plus on site at Garmin with two different techs, they were totally lost. Everything was unlocked, maps were uploaded, waypoints, routes, points of interest all were there, just no map detail beyond the base map. Apparently they cleared its brain of the base software and started from scratch. It works fine now. I never could get a straight answer as to whether or not this was something that was corrupt on the unit when I received it or whether it was corrupted after I received. The veiws seemed to be toward the former.

So, bottom line all works well now, but if anyone reads this and encounters a similar problem, it's beyond what the owner can do.

And those of you wondering where the $400 you paid for your unit went, you should see the enormous new facility Garmin is building - business must be good......

Michael