Newbie...Which GPS?

Guest TJohns

Guest TJohns

Hi, I am in the market for my first GPS unit. I will be using it for finding geocaches and to go on a little hiking in the CA Desolation Wilderness (I live in Tahoe, so it's really close...). Anyway, I was looking at the Garmin eTrex, 12, and II Plus, and the Magellan 315 as potential units to purchase. Any oppinions on which one I should get? Thanks.

Guest andysolo

someone on here last night, i got my 315 for about the same price as the etrex. e-mail me and i'll explain. but you should do some research/ask around before you decide..

andy

andysolo@mindspring.com

I first bought a Magellan 315 and later upgraded to the Merridian Gold. Both nits work great for geocacing. I like the SD chip and additional map storage that is available. Also, the SD card works in my digiatl camera and palm pilot.

The magellans seem to kept a signal under tree cover better than other units.

Just m.h.o.

For an inexpensive, basic unit, the yellow E-Trex is fine. If you want a good trade-off between advanced features and price, the Garmin Legend is a great unit. If you don't care about price, the Garmin V is widely considered to be the Rolls Royce of GPSr's.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Automatic averaging

Killer reception, even inside my house!

Good price $170

Easy to use

Mapping

Upgradable firmware AND basemap

That's why I went for the SporTrak Map. I should have went for the Pro model, but it was over my budget.

For basic caching, even in heavy cover, (plus, you should be able to get good WAAS signals) I don't think you can beat the SportTrak Map for pure value.

CR

If you take the information supplied for the Sportrak Map and add 23 Meg of memory instead of 5 for downloading maps and you have the SporTrak Pro. I have found it to be extremely accurate and easy to use. If I had an unlimited budget I would choose a Garmin GPS V for all its features. The additional features including giving actual directions while you are driving which can be nice for finding your jump off point while geocaching.

Lost? Keep Going. You're making good time anyway!!

You can avoid wasting money by buying two GPS receivers (one "starter" and one "advanced" later) by getting the Magellan Meridian Platinum for $249 from Harmony Computers.

It's the only one on the market with expandable memory via SD flash memory cards.

ShopHarmony's price really solved the "debate" for me since it was just a little more for the top of the line (and one that will have a great resale value if you ever decide to sell it).