Got First Gps, Now What...

syoungblood

Hello all, well we finally ordered our first gps. :unsure: We found a new Garmin Legend on e-bay, including the Mapsoure Metroguide software. I was able to get this for $152.00. That seemed pretty good to me, as long as it all works.

My question is, do you have any ideas on accessories that I am going to need to pick up? I know I will want a carrying case and the training video. Is there anything beyond that I will need? I am obviously new to this and would appreciate any advice. The main thing we will be doing with this unit is trying geocaching since it would not work too well as an auto gps. Furthermore, once we get it, how do we started with the caching? Thanks for the help.

The training video?? I found the best thing is to just use the GPS. Play with it, you can't hurt it. I have learned more from just playing with it and here on Geocaching.com. So I guess I would think some more on the video. It may help you a lot though.

You might want to get the AC adapter so you can use it in your car. I found my Vista to be great for traveling.

murph

I'm young and dont got a job or a car so what do i do to get started without spending more than 40 bucks?

Try to save that forty bucks and add a bit more to it until you have about 100 bucks. Then buy a cheap GPSr. Or if you have a nice friend with a GPSr they are not using, maybe they'd let you have it or at least borrow it for a while. Then learn all you can by lurking here and you should be set to find some when spring arrives. Have fun with whatever your able to work out, even if it's just hanging out here. :unsure:

I'm young and dont got a job or a car so what do i do to get started without spending more than 40 bucks?

Wait until your birthday or Christmas. :unsure:

That's one of the troubles with todays youth. They expect too much will be given to them, but never think of working hard to earn the things they want. I know....I raised 2 teenagers. I was earning my own way when I was only 12. If I wanted something I worked and saved. Not as easy to do now, with adult responsibilities and all. :)

Bubba,

Be friendly with local cachers or go to an event to cache with others.

Buy a GPS via the Marketplace here or eBay. People here upgrade and often sell their starting units. An eTrex on eBay runs $70-80 w/shipping...

Alternatively (or if you're not friendly), you can use topographic maps to find geocaches without any GPS! Many have found thousands of geocaches without GPS's this way.

A compass and maps would fit in that budget effectively.

Enjoy,

Randy

Hello all, well we finally ordered our first gps. :unsure: We found a new Garmin Legend on e-bay, including the Mapsoure Metroguide software. I was able to get this for $152.00. That seemed pretty good to me, as long as it all works.

My question is, do you have any ideas on accessories that I am going to need to pick up? I know I will want a carrying case and the training video. Is there anything beyond that I will need? I am obviously new to this and would appreciate any advice. The main thing we will be doing with this unit is trying geocaching since it would not work too well as an auto gps. Furthermore, once we get it, how do we started with the caching? Thanks for the help.

Looks like you got a good deal as far as $$$$.....but, did you checkout the Garmin Website concerning the warranty? I beleive their policy is: Warranty void if purchased via auction. Sorry if I burst your balloon. You will probably not have any trouble with the Legend (I own both the Legend and the Vista, and have not had any problems for over a year. You know, electronic devices, if they are are going to fail, its usually in the first 30 days.

Good luck with the Garmin though, and have fun looking for that Tupperware out in the woods.

It looks like you got a good unit for a very fair price. Congratulations!

Accessories I suggest:

1. A good neck lanyard for the GPS. The one sold through Groundspeak is very nice for a good price!

2. Rechargeable batteries. See other threads on this subject. You will save a good deal of money if you buy some high capacity Nimh rechargeable batteries. These GPSr's are battery hogs!

3. DC power adaptor for your GPS.

4. According to Garmin's website, your GPS should come with a data cable. If it doesn't pick one up. Very useful for transferring data to and from pc-gps.

5. Any hiking/safety accessories you might need. See other threads on this subject.

6. Expert GPS program. you can download a free trial at www.expertgps.com Try the program and see what you think. I have found this program very useful both for geocaching and other uses of my GPS.

Training:

1. Practice, practice, practice with your GPS in your neighborhood. Get very familiar with entering waypoints, navigation, and track back features.

When you first step out of your truck when geocaching set your vehicle as a waypoint so you can easily get back to it. Get in the habit of doing this, even on easy caches where you wont get lost.

While hiking into the cache, do not blindly follow the GPS pointer. Look around, look at landmarks and the trail from the reverse angle. Be able to remember what your trail looks like for the way out!

2. Read the forums. There is a great deal of information in these forums. I have learned and continue to learn a lot from the regulars in here.

Getting started:

1. Choose some easy caches in areas that you are familiar with to start. I would suggest regular caches not micros. For the first few, do your homework first. Get detailed maps and/or aerial photos of the area that you will be going. If you plot the geocache coordinates using software on these maps/photos it will give you a good idea of where you are going. Make sure that the cache has been found recently and the last few hunters have actually found it. Nothing like looking for a cache that has been looted or is lost!

2. Meet other geocachers. The fun is contagious. Go on hunts together.

3. Carry some writing instruments, zip loc bags, quality trade items.

4. Find several caches before you hide your first cache. Once you have found say 30 or more caches you will have learned several things about caches. Things you like about caches and things you don't. The quality of your cache will be better.

Have fun!

Well, my topic sure got turned for a loop there.  Anyone additonal care to address the actual start of this thread.  It seems that poor bubba struck a nerve and threw everyone off a bit.

:unsure:

Sorry....Looks like you got some very good advice so far. You'll surely find out what you need pretty quickly. Have you chosen your first caches that you want to hit? Practice entering or downloading waypoints before you hit the field your first time looking for that ever elusive tupperware. Play with your GPS, like someone else suggested. Take a walk around your neighborhood and check out the feature. Most important is to have fun with it. You'll love it, I know. :)

Edited by Tiwica