What Should I Do? Keep It Or Sell It...

SBPhishy

I have a SporTrak Map in perfect condition. I got it back from Magellan recently and the crack problem has been fixed completely. I also have a Meridian Gold which is my main GPS. I don't really use the SporTrak anymore, and it has turned into my backup. I am debating whether I should sell it, but I would definitely buy another one to have as a backup. I was considering the Geko 201, which I like mostly because of it's small size. I would think that the Geko may get more use than my SporTrak is getting now, because of it's size. I will probably end up taking it more places. I love the SporTrak a lot, but I just don't really want to have to deal with sending it in for stress cracks again.

My main thought though, was that it seems that I will be downgrading quite a bit. Right now, I have the cool Magellan carrying case for the SporTrak, and they sent me the suction cup car mount when they sent it back from repair. Also, I have Direct Route and Topo for my Meridian, and it's cool to be able to use those programs on my SporTrak, (except that, as I said above, I dont really use it at all.)

The cool part is that, if I do decide to sell it, it's in brand new condition, and I have the PC cable, the car mount, the case, the box and all the original paperwork, the manuals, and I could load a section of Direct Route or Topo on it. So, I could hopefully get a good price for it.

So, while I know that I am old enough to make decisions for myself, I would just like to hear some opinions. :)

Thanks everyone! :)

Edited by SBPhishy

I know if it were me, I would keep it. I myself would like to get another gps just for a backup and I wouldn't consider anything but another Magellan. The main reason is because I already have the software and cables, etc. That's a lot of $ saved. Since it is a backup and would rarely get used, then what's the point of getting another brand? And why downgrade. Like you say, the SporTrak is a good unit and you already have all of the accesories for it. Reason enough for me. :)

You know the ole saying... if it ain't broke don't fix it. :)

Anyway, that's my $0.02

Edited by Warriorrider

I would keep it use it as a backup. You could also contact your local scout group or your local Geo-cache group that you have a Extra GPSr to loan or rent to them. I just taught my scouts how to use my E-Trex. I :) wish I had a second unit to show them the differance's of the units

Yeah. I was really surprised when it worked. I loaded it in, just figuring at least I'd have the maps to look at. Then, I tried to autoroute, and it worked exactly like my MeriGold. It has all the POI's and everything. And, depending on the area, 6 megs can cover a decent area.

And yes, I go to UCSB.

Another reason to keep it is for friends to use. If you take a newbie geocaching with you, it's realy nice to let them hold on to a unit rather than follow you around like a puppy dog. And because you are familiar with it, it'd be easy to give the newbie pointers along the way, showing him/her how to use it by doing something with yours and having them follow along with "theirs".

I think we live quite well!

I'm not a big fan of the eTrex's button layout. The size is decently small on the eTrex's, but the Geko is just tiny! I would never want one as my only unit, but it would be cool to have one that was as small as my cell phone.

I still don't know what to do. I would hope I could get around 150 for my sportrak with all the stuff. I guess geko's are around 120?

Edited by SBPhishy
If magellan had a small series like the etrex and geko lines I guarantee I would get one to see how the other half lives...

They do. It's the "300 series" (310, 315, 320, 330Map). They're relatively inexpensive (comparable to the ETrex), small (about the size of an ETrex if you added a "good" antenna :unsure: to an ETrex), and they are very rugged. I used and cached for along time with my 315, and it's a good, solid, well performing unit. Mine finally died after several years, I believe at least partly due to many miles vibrating on my ATC250R's handlebars. I now use a SporTrak Pro, but will always have a soft spot in my heart for my old 315.

Sell it and get yourself a Legend. Not a Garmin vs Magellan thing, just something different to see how it all works. That's what I did--helped me learn the Garmin software after learning the Magellan. Quite fun that way, and you have both "camps" on your side. :huh:

I've got a ST Color and a Legend.

Edited by mrkablooey
If magellan had a small series like the etrex and geko lines I guarantee I would get one to see how the other half lives...

They do. It's the "300 series" (310, 315, 320, 330Map). They're relatively inexpensive (comparable to the ETrex), small (about the size of an ETrex if you added a "good" antenna :huh: to an ETrex), and they are very rugged.

Actually I bought my dad a GPS a few years ago from Walmart for $99. It was the Magellan 310. We went out cacheing together a couple of weeks ago, and we compared performance. I think his problem was that his unit didn't have enough digits, but on the cache, he actually got within 20' of it. Not too shabby..

Edited by Volwrath

how did they fix the cracks? did they change plastic and or screws?is this a fix the problem fix or use the same plastic fix. im sure a few people would like this answer.i traded my sportrac pro in for a sportrac color because of the cracking.just because i have two mounts and a cover for the sportrac models.didnt want to waste more money. the color model is ok but is hard to see in broad daylight. its like the tinted screen is too dark.you can adjust contrast a little but you have to have the right angle to see it good. meridan color has a better screen but like me you have all the goodys for the sportrac model. the cracking prolem is a big deal. i hope they made a good repair. if they did id keep it. how did they fix it?

Sell it and get yourself a Legend.  Not a Garmin vs Magellan thing, just something different to see how it all works.  That's what I did--helped me learn the Garmin software after learning the Magellan.  Quite fun that way, and you have  both "camps" on your side.  :huh:

I've got a ST Color and a Legend.

You will find that the Sportraks in my opinion have a better signal in the thick woods. My Vista (and Legend that I sold) do not like thick overhead forest, and quickly lose signal. Did by chance your sportrak colors color screen seem odd looking or the color not just right?

Edited by RockyRiver
You will find that the Sportraks in my opinion have a better signal in the thick woods. My Vista (and Legend that I sold) do not like thick overhead forest, and quickly lose signal. Did by chance your sportrak colors color screen seem odd looking or the color not just right?

Color is fine if you adjust the contrast right. Takes some fiddlin' but it turns out pretty well. :huh:

Actually I bought my dad a GPS a few years ago from Walmart for $99. It was the Magellan 310. We went out cacheing together a couple of weeks ago, and we compared performance. I think his problem was that his unit didn't have enough digits, but on the cache, he actually got within 20' of it. Not too shabby..

Yes, the 310 has one less digit, but the 315 (and up) does indeed have the additional digit. And while it doesn't have mapping capability, it does have a built-in database of worldwide cities. For geocaching, the 315 was a very good unit. I don't seem to be able to "zero in" on caches any better with my ST Pro than I could with my 315. And from what I understand the 330MAP is pretty much a SporTrak but in a different case.