First Cache

Spoo

For your TB: You might want to add a goal tag to your bug if you haven't all ready. Also, some people like for their bugs to travel in ziploc bags. I don't care for bags because they usually end up getting ripped but some people seem to prefer it. Don't get upset if your bug goes for a while without being logged. It's not unusual for a bug to go 2-3 weeks or even a month or more without moving. Don't get too attached to your bug either...sometimes they do disappear. <_<

For your cache: Take your coordinates a few times walking from different angles to the cache point. It's much better to get the coords a few times and get them RIGHT rather than take them once and be 20-40 feet off. If it's a regular size cache, place a pen and a pencil with your logbook. Sometimes pens can freeze or just die, so a pencil (with a sharpener or even a mechanical pencil) will make it easier for people to sign the log in case they forgot a pen.

Grats on your first hide and first bug!

For your TB: You might want to add a goal tag to your bug if you haven't all ready.

For my next bug, I'm thinking a Shrinky Dink goal tag. It can hang on the chain and be as durable as the dog tag.

For your cache: Take your coordinates a few times walking from different angles to the cache point.

Take your coordinates. Leave. Come back and see how close your original coordinates get you. If you're within 10-20 feet, I'd find that more than acceptable.

For your cache: Take your coordinates a few times walking from different angles to the cache point. It's much better to get the coords a few times and get them RIGHT rather than take them once and be 20-40 feet off. If it's a regular size cache, place a pen and a pencil with your logbook.

I disagree with this. I've found taking multiple readings to be a total waste of time. Either your signal is good when you're there, or it isn't. If it isn't, you're just averaging bad data. If it is, then there is no need to average.

Other than that, a few things I can think of:

1. Use a quality, waterproof container (no Gladware, coffee cans, Chinese/deli food containers or dollar store containers). Some good ones are ammo boxes, Tupperware (the real thing), Rubbermaid Seal-n-Savers (with the blue rim on lid) and Lock ' Lock. Also don't take a container from your kitchen that previously held food. No matter how clean you think it is, the animals will smell it and chew your container. Always use a new container.

2. Put your log and a pencil in their own, small Ziploc (freezer weight). Also, put any trade items that might be damaged by water in another Ziploc. No matter how waterproof your container is, there is always someone who won't close it correctly.

3. Put some thought into the area where you hide it. Don't place the cache for the sake of placing it. Put it someplace that you find interesting and think others may enjoy.

4. Hide it far enough off the beaten path so that searchers won't be observed by others (Note: some people do the opposite on purpose to add to the challenge, but their caches don't last long).

5. Hide it well enough so that someone wandering off trail won't find it unless they are looking for it.

6. Put some nice stuff in it. Items that you think others would like to find.

7. Label the outside of your container clearly. This website's name and your contact information are minimums. Include a copy of the "geocaching letter" from this website.

8. Most importantly, maintain your cache! Respond promptly to reported problems. Check on it periodically to ensure that it isn't impacting the surrounding area. And if the time ever comes that you are no longer interested in taking care of the cache, please remove it.

Happy hiding!!!!

Edited by briansnat
Well, okay some people don't try the "test your coords a few times" theory. But I do. I guess I am just a weirdo. <_< In any case, enjoy your cache and your bug!

Might I suggest that you try getting your coordinates both ways and see if it makes a difference with your GPSr? You might also try getting coordinates on one day and then go back the next and see if they put you as close to the cache as you'd like. Try several ways and then use what you feel comfortable with.

We usually take several reading coming at the cache from different directions. It what we like to do and it works for us. There are no hard and fast rules on how it is done.

John

One thing that nobody has mentioned yet. Find a place for the cache that you want people to come to. Find a great park or a great view. Maybe a waterfall would be nice. Don't just find a spot beside the road that works because you can put a cache there. Find something memorable. In other words make the trip to the cache worth the time and effort.

One thing that nobody has mentioned yet. Find a place for the cache that you want people to come to.

I thought that was #3 in my post <_<

Sorry about that Brian. You are indeed correct. I should have worded my post differently to emphasize your point. I had read so much about getting coordinates that I missed your point #3.

pencil AND SHARPENER with log.....check.

Don't put the pencil in the same bag as the log book. That is unless you use something like a toothbrush container to hold the pencils. Pencils alone will poke holes in the bag and make it less than watertight. :lol:

Edited by Tiwica
OK folks....I did it.

See "Mount Cutler Gold" near Hiram, Maine, 04041.

Waypoint GCHQ8D

You might like what you read.

Thanks for the help and advice.

When I suggested you do a walk through, I never meant you should log it as a find. :lol:

You should post that TB as a note. :lol:

Here's the link.

Criminal:

I never meant to log this as a find. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to get the TB into my cache (page) and in doing so, inadvertantly logged a find.

Is it possible to delete my 'find'? If so, how?

New post to an old thread. I just has my first 3 caches approved over the weekend. Notice I didn't say I hid them this weekend. Due to the nature of the satelite orbits you may get better reading on diffrent days or at diffrent times. (While I was in the Army our GPSr would automatically calculate and tell you the best time to get an accurate reading at your current location). I checked and rechecked my coords 3 times before submitting the caches. Seems like a lot of "useless" work but I would rather have a reputation of good coords/good hide with my local cache community than to be know as the guy who's stuff is never right. My $.02 Now someone please flame me for not checking and rechecking my spelling and grammer.

Edited by tanstaafl