76cs / 76c On Order

Us 5 Camp

Well, I made it official last week and cancelled my order for a 60CS and replaced the order with the 76CS all at the same vendor.

Only trouble now is, I've sold my 76s to my brother who would like me to mail it to him right away. Oh well, he and his kids love geocaching and this will be there 1st gps. Until now the nephews had to wait for me to trave through to go out geocaching. Now they'll have their own. <_<

Deciding factors for me going to the 76CS (from the 76s and 60CS):

1) Memory 115Mb (double that of 60CS and 4.8 times 76s)

2) Autorouting (as compared to 76S)

3) Color Screen (as compared to 76s)

4) Floats (as compared to 60CS), important since I canoe with mine.

5) Familiar case (as compared to my current 76s)

Now if April were only here and let's all hope Garmin keeps a prompt delivery schedule !!!!

How many others have ordered a 76C/CS?

How many have cancelled their 60C/CS order in favor of the 76C/CS?

I seriously have been looking at canceling my 60CS. The geo thing would be kind of kewl but not really needed. The extra memory would be great but not sure I would need it. My big problem is the waiting. I am without a GPS right now and it's killing me. Garmin has already backed up the original deliver of the 60CS and I am sure they will do the same for the 76CS. If I knew it would come in April it wouldn't be bad, but if I have to wait until June then I would be upset. I have already made an order with Amazon for the City Select which can be used on the 76CS but not be necessary as the 76 does have some software and autorrouting with it. I can return it though I am sure.

When inquiring about canceling GPSdiscount told me the 76CS does not have auto-routing. I think it does which tickes me off enough to just cancel totally with GPSdiscount. I suppose they have a bunch of the 60's on order and will end up with a bunch of them, that is why they told me that.

So anyway, I am confused on what to do.

murph

I seriously have been looking at canceling my 60CS. The geo thing would be kind of kewl but not really needed. The extra memory would be great but not sure I would need it. My big problem is the waiting. I am without a GPS right now and it's killing me. Garmin has already backed up the original deliver of the 60CS and I am sure they will do the same for the 76CS. If I knew it would come in April it wouldn't be bad, but if I have to wait until June then I would be upset. I have already made an order with Amazon for the City Select which can be used on the 76CS but not be necessary as the 76 does have some software and autorrouting with it. I can return it though I am sure.

When inquiring about canceling GPSdiscount told me the 76CS does not have auto-routing. I think it does which tickes me off enough to just cancel totally with GPSdiscount. I suppose they have a bunch of the 60's on order and will end up with a bunch of them, that is why they told me that.

murph

I called Garmin and was told the new 76's autoroute exactly the same as the 60 series units.

I seriously have been looking at canceling my 60CS.  The geo thing would be kind of kewl but not really needed.  The extra memory would be great but not sure I would need it.  My big problem is the waiting.  I am without a GPS right now and it's killing me.  Garmin has already backed up the original deliver of the 60CS and I am sure they will do the same for the 76CS.  If I knew it would come in April it wouldn't be bad, but if I have to wait until June then I would be upset.  I have already made an order with Amazon for the City Select which can be used on the 76CS but not be necessary as the 76 does have some software and autorrouting with it.  I can return it though I am sure.

When inquiring about canceling GPSdiscount told me the 76CS does not have auto-routing.  I think it does which tickes me off enough to just cancel totally with GPSdiscount.  I suppose they have a bunch of the 60's on order and will end up with a bunch of them, that is why they told me that. 

murph

I called Garmin and was told the new 76's autoroute exactly the same as the 60 series units.

It is strange that their web site never mentions Auto routing for the 60c/cs

I think the auto-routing comes from the City Select software. I know in some of the other forums that people are saying it will do it??

But a lot of this software stuff is new to me. I had a Vista that I loved but was not happy with the reception it got and the smaller screen. I sold my Vista and am now without a GPS. Waiting another 2 or 3 months might be tough on me.

murph

I gotta admit, Garmin didn't exactly spell it out for everyone in their features description (after all they initially listed the screen over a 1/4 of an inch too narrow).... Anyway, think of this logic...

Has there ever been a gps that autorouted on the basemap, but not on CitySelect for which Garmin says the 76C/CS is compatible? <_<

The post above that says he got it straight from the horse's mouth that it does autoroute. This has to be correct as it would be ass_stounding if it autorouted on the basemap, loaded CitySelect maps and amazingly did NOT autoroute with CitySelect..... (follow all that?)

Rest easy.... this dog will hunt (and Autoroute)... :D

I gotta admit, Garmin didn't exactly spell it out for everyone in their features description (after all they initially listed the screen over a 1/4 of an inch too narrow).... Anyway, think of this logic...

Has there ever been a gps that autorouted on the basemap, but not on CitySelect for which Garmin says the 76C/CS is compatible? <_<

The post above that says he got it straight from the horse's mouth that it does autoroute. This has to be correct as it would be ass_stounding if it autorouted on the basemap, loaded CitySelect maps and amazingly did NOT autoroute with CitySelect..... (follow all that?)

Rest easy.... this dog will hunt (and Autoroute)... :D

So is the concensus to cancel my 60CS and order the 76CS? Something tells me to and yet I still don't want to wait?

Really having a tough time deciding. My City Select order from Amazon is on it's way. I can use it on the 76CS though.

murph

THCRI, you'll have to decide that one....

YMMV, but I sold mine 76s and am willing to wait for the 76cs, twice the memory of the 60CS!!! (I know, I know, it'll be less than a year they'll likely be out with double that or even standard memory cards, but for now, that's 5 times the memory of my 76s and autorouting!)

THCRI, you'll have to decide that one....

YMMV, but I sold mine 76s and am willing to wait for the 76cs, twice the memory of the 60CS!!! (I know, I know, it'll be less than a year they'll likely be out with double that or even standard memory cards, but for now, that's 5 times the memory of my 76s and autorouting!)

I know that no matter which one I go with there will be a nicer one coming. The 60CS in itself just proved that. I like the looks of the 60 but I think the 76 is easier to use with one hand. Just my thoughts. The 76 is a marine type unit but looks like it does everything the 60 will do plus have the marine stuff on it.

The Geo-Caching thing isn't a big thing on the 60 as I understand it you just have the ability to click on found and alls it does is opens the little icon. Big deal I can do that myself.

If the 76 would be available first part of April I sure would wait, but I know that won't happen and it could be the end of June.

Man this is tough, a really tough decision. I wonder how many retailers are going to get stuck with the 60cs as people seem to be canceling and re-ordering.

murph

THCRI,  you'll have to decide that one....

YMMV, but I sold mine 76s and am willing to wait for the 76cs, twice the memory of the 60CS!!!  (I know, I know, it'll be less than a year they'll likely be out with double that or even standard memory cards, but for now, that's 5 times the memory of my 76s and autorouting!)

I know that no matter which one I go with there will be a nicer one coming. The 60CS in itself just proved that. I like the looks of the 60 but I think the 76 is easier to use with one hand. Just my thoughts. The 76 is a marine type unit but looks like it does everything the 60 will do plus have the marine stuff on it.

The Geo-Caching thing isn't a big thing on the 60 as I understand it you just have the ability to click on found and alls it does is opens the little icon. Big deal I can do that myself.

If the 76 would be available first part of April I sure would wait, but I know that won't happen and it could be the end of June.

Man this is tough, a really tough decision. I wonder how many retailers are going to get stuck with the 60cs as people seem to be canceling and re-ordering.

murph

I'll have both the 60CS and the 76CS added to my collection. <_<

Edited by RockyRiver
So is the concensus to cancel my 60CS and order the 76CS?  Something tells me to and yet I still don't want to wait?

I'm going to keep the 60CS. Extra memory isn't that big of a deal (to me)... sure you can load more maps, but 56mb is plenty for what you need.

Edited by mrkablooey

The 60 appears sized right for your breast pocket which might be important to you. The 76 size is rather large for surrepticious carrying or just plain carrying on a regular non-caching basis. On the other hand the 76 has a larger screen.

Just to confuse you more <_<

Alan

In a news release last Thursday, Garmin was quoted saying the 76CS version would not be available until June 2004. Sounds like the same type of delayed timing as the 60C and CS models.

See article here.

June? That's great - they'll probably have something more tempting announced for August release by then.

In a news release last Thursday, Garmin was quoted saying the 76CS version would not be available until June 2004. Sounds like the same type of delayed timing as the 60C and CS models.

See article here.

June? That's great - they'll probably have something more tempting announced for August release by then.

The 60 appears sized right for your breast pocket which might be important to you.  The 76 size is rather large for surrepticious carrying or just plain carrying on a regular non-caching basis.  On the other hand the 76 has a larger screen. 

Just to confuse you more <_<

Alan

I've never owned anything but a 76s and carry it in my shirt pocket, clipped to my pack/belt or inside a small fanny pack all the time. Maybe it's because I'm 6'3" 195lbs, but he size seems perfect.

Edited by Us 5 Camp

I was sorely tempted to switch my 60CS order to a 76CS also but changed my mind after I saw the Garmin rated battery life on the 76 color models was a third less than the 60 units. Its only 20 hours on the 76C vs 30 for the 60C. I sometimes do multiple day backpacks or several dayhikes in a row where I am not returning to a place I can buy batteries. I want to try and minimize the extra batteries I have to carry. I guess that bigger 76 CS screen and memory eat up more battery power. Personally I prefer the 76CS form with its antenna in the case body-that protruding RINO looking antenna of the 60 C/CS will be tough to fit a case to.

The 60 appears sized right for your breast pocket which might be important to you.  The 76 size is rather large for surrepticious carrying or just plain carrying on a regular non-caching basis.  On the other hand the 76 has a larger screen. 

Just to confuse you more :D

Alan

Nope, screen sizes are exactly the same: 1.5" W x 2.2" H; 2.6" diagonally, for both the 76c/cs and the 60c/cs

Here is a size comparison, I made the screen sizes the same, to get the scale the same.

107436_11400.jpg

Edited by martmann
I was sorely tempted to switch my 60CS order to a 76CS also but changed my mind after I saw the Garmin rated battery life on the 76 color models was a third less than the 60 units. Its only 20 hours on the 76C vs 30 for the 60C. I sometimes do multiple day backpacks or several dayhikes in a row where I am not returning to a place I can buy batteries. I want to try and minimize the extra batteries I have to carry. I guess that bigger 76 CS screen and memory eat up more battery power. Personally I prefer the 76CS form with its antenna in the case body-that protruding RINO looking antenna of the 60 C/CS will be tough to fit a case to.

At this point some of Garmins info seems out of sync. I really belive the batter life might be similar.

I'll have both the 60CS and the 76CS added to my collection.  :D

Just curious,,,,, why both?

I collect all the high dollar GPS's and when a model is discontinued and a new model comes out that replaces that unit, I sale the old one and get the new one.

I like to just be able to try them all out, and see for my self which is best in my opinion. Geocaching is the cheapest hobby I have ever been in compared to fast cars and precision target rifles.

I was sorely tempted to switch my 60CS order to a 76CS also but changed my mind after I saw the Garmin rated battery life on the 76 color models was a third less than the 60 units.  Its only 20 hours on the 76C vs 30 for the 60C.  I sometimes do multiple day backpacks or several dayhikes in a row where I am not returning to a place I can buy batteries.  I want to try and minimize the extra batteries I have to carry.  I guess that bigger 76 CS screen and memory eat up more battery power.  Personally I prefer the 76CS form with its antenna in the case body-that protruding RINO looking antenna of the 60 C/CS will be tough to fit a case to.

At this point some of Garmins info seems out of sync. I really belive the batter life might be similar.

If you go to the links I posted above, it shows both 60cs and 76cs as having "Up to 20 hours battery life".

The 76c and the 60c both have "Up to 30 hours battery life".

The baro and magnetic compass on the cs versions eat more battery.

So: The screen size and the battery life for the 60 and 76 models are exactly the same.

So the deciding factors should be

• Memory size
  • Unit size
  • Ergonomics
  • The Marine point database in the 76, and not the 60
  • 76 floats, 60 sinks

Did I miss anything?

edited to address buoyancy.

Edited by martmann
I was sorely tempted to switch my 60CS order to a 76CS also but changed my mind after I saw the Garmin rated battery life on the 76 color models was a third less than the 60 units.  Its only 20 hours on the 76C vs 30 for the 60C.  I sometimes do multiple day backpacks or several dayhikes in a row where I am not returning to a place I can buy batteries.  I want to try and minimize the extra batteries I have to carry.  I guess that bigger 76 CS screen and memory eat up more battery power.  Personally I prefer the 76CS form with its antenna in the case body-that protruding RINO looking antenna of the 60 C/CS will be tough to fit a case to.

If you go to the links I posted above, it shows both 60cs and 76cs as having "Up to 20 hours battery life".

The 76c and the 60c both have "Up to 30 hours battery life".

The baro and magnetic compass on the cs versions eat more battery.

So: The screen size and the battery life for the 60 and 76 models are exactly the same.

So the deciding factors should be

• Memory size
  • Unit size
  • Ergonomics
  • The Marine point database in the 76, and not the 60

Did I miss anything?

And.... the 76 series floats... :D

I have had a 76 that I bought after we got them in at work. Just bought a 76s for the increased map storage after I drove off the map a few times. Now Garmin comes out with another reason for me to spend my money. :D I could not justify the 60cs because I really like the style of the 76series and the features. However, I will probably be in the market for a 76cs in about a year after the debugging period and the price comes down. Then my 76 will be up for sale.

Sorry about the controversy I generated with my comments about battery life between the 60CS and 76CS units. I got my first info from the latest West Marine catalog, page 92, where it states the battery life of the 76C (not the 76CS) is 16 hours which would compare to the stated 30 hrs of the 60C. They also state that the 76C screen is 2.2x1.6 and 180x240 pixels which would be bigger than the 2.2x1.5 and 160x240 pixels shown on the 60c writeup on page 91. It makes more sense that the battery life of the two units would be similar and that its the use of the compass and altimeter that reduces battery life. Thats why I leave the compass off and use battery saver mode in my Vista most of the time-I get much better run times on the batteries. Probably West Marine got slightly misleading info from Garmin in an attempt to be the first to get it in their catalog before specs were finalized.

FYI, At GPScity, it says the following

"16 February, 2004: Garmin annouonced the expected ship date of the FIRST batch of GPSMAP 60CS is now 5 March, 2004."

And shows the 76cs: "DUE APRIL 2004"

Gpscity was the one that originally told me the 60CS would be available the last week of January also. If they truly would have the 76CS Available in April I would wait. Im just not sure who to believe on the dates. I guess I will believe when I see.

murph

I still don't know what to do. I like the way the 60CS has the buttons on the bottom, but I also have an 76S now and like the feel. The memory is always nice but not necessary. Maybe I should try a 60 and if I don't like it dump it on ebay and get into a 76.

I use it for hiking mostly, and the lighter it is the better,but I also am getting the City Select and will try using it on the road. I think the 76 has a profile that looks better for motorcyles,cars,etc.

I guess the trouble is I've disliked the active track display since I got one of the first 76S out and can't wait to get into something that has a better screen.

If you read Garmin's press releases they say that the 76c will be released in April and that the 76cs will be released in June. They also have a press release that says the 60cs will be released in March.

Here are the links:

76c/cs

60c/cs

Looks like much better info than at GPScity, thanks.

Yes and No... The 76Cx press release had the screen size wrong as well, so we'll just have to wait and see when these things get produced. I am wishing (not hoping) that once the 60cs' start shipping that the 76c/cs will come out soon thereafer and hoping that each successive release will come faster as their experience producing the new hardware will have increased.

Is it me or does it seem that Garmin supply lines waiting for subcomponents is often the critical link in this chain of supply leading to my doorstep?

It is done..... I mailed my 76s to my brother today. :)

I am officially GPS'less. :D

I agreed to sell it to him when I placed an order for the 60cs, then promptly cancelled that order for the 76CS. :D

Let's hope Garmin ships early for once..... oh wait, I must be dreaming :unsure:

Edited by Us 5 Camp

the 76C is suppose to come out fairly soon after the 60CS comes out. But from what I know is the 76CS will not come out until June. If I knew the 76CS version since I love and use the compass a lot I would cancel my 60CS. However, I am GPSless and can not wait until June or even take a chance on waiting as I also use it for business.

murph

Oh yes and by the way. It is very close to the time that the 60CS is to be shipped but yet even Garmin does not know the ship date of them. I would think most manufactures this close to production would know?? Something just doesn't seem right, I sell a product where the manufacture has the assembly line set up for a year in advance and they can tell exactly when a product will go down the assembly line.

Edited by thcri

hello guys,

i discussed this 76cs with the garmin people here in europe.......and they claim that the 76 models will only come july/august - frankly they reckon august.

so - well worth to stick with the 60cs for the time being....oh, yes, once it ships.....

c u

femo