New To Gps(ing)

road_rascal

I'm glad I found this message board as I've been tearing my hair out trying to decide which GPS unit to purchase. I mainly plan to use a GPS on my motorcycle for trips and rallies, the occassional cross-country family van trip, and maybe a geocache or two. I'm not a serious outdoorsman anymore (no hunting and I stopped fishing when I moved from CO to MN- go figure), although it may be used for light day hikes (no Lake of the Woods stuff- yet). I like the Garmin GPS V deluxe package and the Magellan Meridian Gold Travelers Package. I've had other people suggest the Streetpilot(s) series but they're a little too big and too expensive. I guess the only thing that really matters is the total price including mapping software, which the Garmin and Magellan packages both have. I'd rather not spend much more than $400. I don't care if the screen is color, or if the GPS give autorouting info. I plan on purchasing one pretty soon. So I'm open to any suggestions or feedback.

I cannot speak for the Garmin units as I have never used them. I have the Meridian Platinum. I love it, and would probably buy the same again if this one ever breaks. I do not just Geocache with mine, but use it all the time on other areas. Some of the things I use all the time:

Compas - For finding direct north when polar-aligning my telescope. MeriPlat does not have to be moving for the compas to work. The compas also shows where the sun and moon are in the sky. Neat, but useless...

Direct Route - has never failed to get me to the door of places I have addresses to. I use this all the time, as I am on the road a lot.

Mempry - This makes the unit have unlimited memory. I have 3 SD cards with over 370MB of maps from Topo, S&D and Direct Route, each covering 5 states completly.

Good Locking - On the caches I have found, it has consistently gotten me to within 7 to 10 feet. This is roughly the accuracy of the unit. Even with trees overhead.

Ease of Use - Even without the manual, I was able to figure the unit out quickly and easily in about a half hour.

Durability - I bounced the unit into the water the other day and it just kept right on working. No water entered the unit and it kept the lock.

Moon Phase - Shows the current moon phase as well as sun up/down and moon rise/set. I use this more with astronomy than anything.

Now, those are just a few of the Meridian Platinum. I like this unit, and as I said before, if my current unit ever breaks, I will be replacing it with another Meridian Platinum.

I'm pretty new to this myself, but recently went through the same process of deciding which model/brand to get. From what I have figured out, it seems to be like most products that are 2 brand races (Coke vs Pepsi, etc). It ends up being personal preference.

I chose to get a Meridian Gold w/ mapping software. The things that attracted me to this package are that it has vastly expandable memory and that it has the other features I looked for (including a better? antenna than the etrex line).

I don't think you will have problems with either of the ones you are looking at.

Good luck.

PS even before you get your GPSr, you can play with some of the free mapping stuff available for download. edited to add: go here http://jdmcox.com/ It has a free software that lets you download usgs maps and/or photos and has many GPS tools. Really cool to play with.

Edited by VectorJoe

I do like the idea of having expandable memory in the Magellan Gold GPS, but- is it really that necessary? Many people have told me that they only use the base maps that come with the units and have never downloaded any additional maps. I probably will download maps, and from what I have been reading, the 19mb in the GPS V is probably the smallest amount of memory I want to have. I may be wrong here. The 76S looks great, but I still need to spend $$$ to get the MapSource CD. Oh- before anyone else responds- I have all of the specs printed out from Garmin and Magellan, and I also downloaded all of the owners manuals in .pdf so I can review them. I thought that would make deciding a little easier, but I was wrong. They all look like capable units.

I do like the idea of having expandable memory in the Magellan Gold GPS, but- is it really that necessary? Many people have told me that they only use the base maps that come with the units and have never downloaded any additional maps. I probably will download maps, and from what I have been reading, the 19mb in the GPS V is probably the smallest amount of memory I want to have. I may be wrong here. The 76S looks great, but I still need to spend $$$ to get the MapSource CD. Oh- before anyone else responds- I have all of the specs printed out from Garmin and Magellan, and I also downloaded all of the owners manuals in .pdf so I can review them. I thought that would make deciding a little easier, but I was wrong. They all look like capable units.

If you are going to get the additional mapping software, make sure you have the memory to use it.

On my trip to Orlando last week I used the detailed maps to get me to a lot of places (since I have only been there once before - a long time ago). Couldn't have done that with the base map. I loaded Orlando, Chicago Central Illinois and St. Louis - I think that took about 13 Megs - Just to give you a feel for about how much memory is used using the Magellan unit and software.

If you are going to do cross country van trips like you mentioned, you will need a lot of memory if you use the detail maps.

Good luck.

They all look like capable units.

They all are very capable units.

We can't really help you make your decision. Your choice will be about aesthetic features. That is the only real difference between all models and brands. Unfortunately no one unit offers all the features that someone wants.

Etrex= small handy size

GPS V= good all around unit, at one time only affordable auto routing

GPS 76s= like the V has high resolution screen, floats, eCompass

Meridian= unlimited memory, auto routing, USB map loading, easy basemap changing, floats

Rino= only unit with coordinate position transmission

I do like the idea of having expandable memory in the Magellan Gold GPS, but- is it really that necessary?  Many people have told me that they only use the base maps that come with the units and have never downloaded any additional maps.  I probably will download maps, and from what I have been reading, the 19mb in the GPS V is probably the smallest amount of memory I want to have.  I may be wrong here.  The 76S looks great, but I still need to spend $$$ to get the MapSource CD.  Oh- before anyone else responds- I have all of the specs printed out from Garmin and Magellan, and I also downloaded all of the owners manuals in .pdf so I can review them.  I thought that would make deciding a little easier, but I was wrong.  They all look like capable units.

If you are going to get the additional mapping software, make sure you have the memory to use it.

On my trip to Orlando last week I used the detailed maps to get me to a lot of places (since I have only been there once before - a long time ago). Couldn't have done that with the base map. I loaded Orlando, Chicago Central Illinois and St. Louis - I think that took about 13 Megs - Just to give you a feel for about how much memory is used using the Magellan unit and software.

If you are going to do cross country van trips like you mentioned, you will need a lot of memory if you use the detail maps.

Good luck.

From what I understand you don't have to load the entire city into memory. For instance, if I'm only going to go to the western suburbs of Minneapolis I can download that area instead of the whole Twin Cities. Having all that memory is great but actually using it is another story. I'm kinda leaning towards the GPS V because I can get everything I need for $400 (extra cables, bar mount, etc).

GPSMAP76S +MapSource software = $400

In my opinion, I don't think you could spend $400 better. Add a little extra for a mounting bracket. The electronic compass is very nice to have.

Don't even consider an eTrex if you're planning on trying to read it while driving - the screen is small and the coordinate numbers are ~tiny~. eTrex is great for backpacking where weight is a primary concern.

Happy shopping,

Bob

The rumor mill is circulating stories about a GPS VI.

It may be worth waiting for.

I'm not waiting very long. Whatever I choose gets ordered/ purchased within the next 10 days. It's either going to be a GPS V (which a lot of long distance riders recommended) or a Meridian Gold (or Color since I've seen really good deals). The only thing that concerns me is whether or not the Meridian series would be tough enough to handle motorcycle duty. Can it handle light bumps/ jolts mounted to the bars using a RAM mount? I don't want the thing to die on me 2-3 years later.

For motorcycle ridding, id recomend a 2-battery unit, instead of a 4-battery unit, less problems with the SHUT-OFFS. Still have to make shure the batteries are not going to rattle inside causing the shut-offs. (Put a piece of foam inside)

I like the color GPS 60C and it's Night viewing mode for after sunset. I also like the trip computer screen of the 60C that you can switch to large digits with 3 data fields, would be very easy to read on a motorcycle. Would be nice if it was possible to set the 60c at night with white numbers on a black background, so as not to blind you on a very dark night.

RR,

Can't speak to the duability of the Meridian, but I can to the Garmin units. I was involved in a trail program with the USFS several years ago mapping documented and undocumented trails in the Santa Rita Mountains of southern Arizona. We used Garmin GPS III on Quads and Dirt Bikes and had "0" failures of these units over the 1 year that the project lasted. To say that they got the occasional "Bump" would be an understatement, we beat them up pretty good. My III+ is still going strong and only now is it finally being replaced by a 60cs. I think I will still keep the III+ as a back up. Go with the "V" if you don't want to spend the extra money for the 60 series. IMHO

Rick B.

I'd suggest considering whether the memory you will have available will be sufficient for the coverage you want to carry around. If you don't expect to range very far, this is not a big issue. If you want to be able to carry, say, the state of Minnesota around in your GPSr, you'd have to have about 22MB to handle the DirectRoute version.

Another advantage of the expandable memory (besides being expandable) is that you can transfer data with an SD card reader--much faster than serial cable transfers. This is only significant for large transfers (i.e., maps); waypoints and tracks don't take that long in either case. If you don't anticipate having to swap maps in and out of internal memory, this is not a big deal. But if you do, you'd best be the patient type.

My personal use of GPSr has made expandable memory a requirement. It gives you a lot more room to grow. FWIW, good places for Magellan prices are Compuplus.com and shopharmony.com (I see Compuplus has the Gold Traveler's pack for $299).

If it all feels confusing, think of it as a wealth of choices. Of the things being discussed, I think you'll like whatever you end up with.

Almost easier to decide before you asked isn't it?

I have the Magellen Meridian Platium and love it. The maps are very large and easy to read so it would come in handy mounted to your handle bars for road trips.

Regardless of which one you get make sure it has mapping (they all don't) and the maps are easy to read.

Please explain what you mean by 'mapping'? Do you mean autorouting (giving turn by turn directions)?

The only thing that concerns me is whether or not the Meridian series would be tough enough to handle motorcycle duty. Can it handle light bumps/ jolts mounted to the bars using a RAM mount? I don't want the thing to die on me 2-3 years later.

I have had my Etrex-Vista mounted on my 4 wheeler for two years and it has handled it just fine. The trails I go on are pretty rough. I any of the Garmins will handle the abuse on an over the road motorcycle.

I think the Megellan would also.

murph

I would vot for a 60C. I previously owned a III, III+, and V. The only thing I could miss is the ability to sit on a dash by itself with no mount. The 60 is odd shaped but with a mount, works fine. The battery life is great also. With the added memory and color screen, it makes the mapping readbility much easier too. 60C paired with city select Version 5 makes an incredible combo.

Compas - <...> The compas also shows where the sun and moon are in the sky. Neat, but useless.

Actually, it's a good confirmation that the compass is being accurate. If the compass is claiming the sun is over "there", but you're seeing it over "here", then it's likely that the compass isn't really pointing northing like it claims it is.

I finally went ahead and ordered the Meridian Gold Travelers package ($295 including shipping). I finally found a local shop that let me play with a working Gold display model (nobody had a GPS V that I could look at) and I think it'll do everything I need. I was contemplating getting the Color model for $100 more, but I can use that money for a 256mb SD card. Now all I have to do print out the instruction manual, study, and wait for the UPS guy or gal to arrive... :unsure:

I finally went ahead and ordered the Meridian Gold Travelers package ($295 including shipping).I was contemplating getting the Color model for $100 more, but I can use that money for a 256mb SD card. Now all I have to do print out the instruction manual, study, and wait for the UPS guy or gal to arrive... :unsure:

Awesome! The Gold is an excellent choice. You can't beat the Travelers value. I had to buy all the accessories separately.