My Dog Is Famous Around These Parts

My pooch has actually found three caches by herself...I was close by but she found them...here are a few logs

Zoe 1

Zoe 2

Zoe 3

So now when the great cachers around here put in new caches they started doing this...

"While we were there we also laid out a doggy wonderland of scents. So even if it maybe misleads them away from the actual clues and final cache container, the dogs will have so much fun!"

Any one else have a Tupperware sniffin Dog?

79702_1600.jpg

Edited by coast2coast2coast

My dog is no good at actually finding the things, but she does seem to have a natural talent for finding the way back. This is good, since I haven't figured out how to use the Back Track feature on my GPSr yet. Here is a picture of her waiting for my slow butt to get up the stairs.

11e183be-9262-4f9e-abf4-17c70d33e3af.jpg

Edited by Balboagirl

Bella bagged this one and a few others as well. She's pretty good with plastic containers, we're working on ammo boxes.

353c531d-7c4e-4591-a409-eb4593251a26.jpg

Did you train your dog to find them or has he taken to it naturally?

I actually did and still am. When I start approaching ground zero I start saying: Where's the cache? Then when I find it I point to it and try to get her to find it and smell it. One time she literally stuck her head in the bottom of a tree. The cache was there. :lol:

Edited by JMBella

Oh sure....anyone can go caching with a dog.

falcon.jpg

This is me and my falcon, Reginald. He's been trained to grip an eTrex in one talion and grasp and fly with anything from a 35mm micro to a full 50 cal ammo box in the other talion. I would often sit on a beach chair and wait for him to return the cache to me so I could trade and sign the logbook (I was very close to training him to forge my signature, but he knows where the checkbook is and likes to watch QVC).

Alas, I had to retire Reginald from caching when he was caught trying to ...umm...get intimate with a Jabber the Parrot beanie baby he found in a cache. If it hadn't been for those distraught cub scouts he'd still be caching to this day. As it is, now all he does is post to the forums and drink coffee all day. His postings aren't bad, but the coffee has a slight "field-mousy" taste to it.

Bret

Puppymonster? Oh yeah, he has found the tupperware.

He has even found some great places to hide the tupperware too!

CYBret, I guess you could not go caching with the Leprechauns. Your caching buddy would keep eating his hamster trade items. Well, then again, I guess you could trade something for the hamster so your falcon would have a treat. Hmmmmm.

:lol:

I taught my dog Molly, a two-year-old herding dog mix, to find plastic. I got the idea from discussions about scent discrimination with a friend who has two search and rescue dogs and knows quite a bit about this type of training. Molly has found about 10 of our 126 finds. I haven't yet asked her to search for a cache until I know where it is, because we're still training and I don't want her to have any failures yet.

Here are some suggestions for how to go about teaching your dog:

Start with a package of five cheap disposable plastic food containers (Gladware or equivalent). Put a very tasty, smelly treat that your dog really likes (I used string cheese) in each one, and another treat on top of each one, and put the containers out in the yard. Don't hide them at first, just put them under a bush or next to a fence so the dog won't see them from far away. Go out and let the dog find the containers and get the treat off the top. If you are using a clicker with your dog, click when the dog discovers each container. At first you might have to lead the dog pretty close to each one, but let him find the container on his own. Then make a big deal of opening up the container and letting the dog get the treat out. This focuses the dog's interest on the container itself.

Once the dog is reliably finding the containers, start using a command. I use "plastic" rather than "find it" because I'm planning to teach Molly a few more scents, the next one being "metal" to find ammo cans.

Next step is to eliminate the treat on top and start hiding the containers, making them less and less visible. Also try tossing them into a hiding place so your dog isn't tracking you (following your footsteps), but rather finding the scent of the plastic. If you want to be a purist, wear rubber gloves and try not to handle the plastic very much, so your dog is really learning the scent of plastic, not just finding your scent.

I wouldn't try to teach two scents at the same time. In addition to plastic, Molly can find paper money hidden in the house (she hasn't yet picked up any dollar bills on the trail, but I'm hoping). I recently bought a couple of ammo cans and we're going to start working on finding metal. Then we'll turn the practice boxes into geocaches...

Megan Jane the Quad Dog got me in trouble last week. She ran out ahead and was sitting at the cache 100 yds away when my husband (Quad Rod) got to it. He didn't know that I had logged that one 2 weeks before and pretty much put 2 and 2 together when he found my signature item with Quad Dog's picture in the cache.

I'll have to teach her to be a little more sneakey while caching with dad.