Access Databases

JamesJM

I have the program keep up on new caches in my state and update when I have found one. It is nice because I can scroll around on my map showing where the caches are and which ones I have found, without getting on-line. I did this when I got tired of waiting for the new map programs to show up.

Well, as of now I copy from Mapsource and paste into Excel...which can then be imported into Access.

Problem is that the info from Mapsource isn't quite as complete as I want so there still exists some hand entry. It does save typing the GC#, coordinates & name however, and that's nice...but that's it.

I'm sure there must exist a simpler way but I haven't discovered it. - JamesJM

I open gpx files in Excel and delete columns I don't want and import into Access. I do this mainly so I can link my MapPoint maps to the access database but could use it for other purposes. The Excel xml parser works better for this than the parser that Access uses thus the intermediate step.

When it's just one cache that i am adding, i add it to my access db manually, but when i first started it, i generated a gpx file of all my found caches, got loc files from archived ones, merged them in gpsbabel, and exported to csv. csv can then be imported into access.

The majority of the world is stupid, and the rest of us are in danger of contagion.

I use Excel and then the data generates charts on finds per month and finds by state. Then I have a stats tab that tells me % virtual, % DNF, total FTFs, etc.

I can also cut and past the logs from the MY CACHE page into Excel to expedite data entry.

Then I use USER STATS page in my profile to make sure my DB is in sync with gc.com. Works well.

No problem. It's in the mail.

quote:
Originally posted by Vacman:

CacheMonkeez - would you mind posting a blank of your Excel sheet here or e-mail me a copy at info@vacsew.com? If not I understand.

--------------------------------------------------

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

quote:
Originally posted by 9Key:

Here's a question I'm sure I'll get flamed for ~ why keep your caches in Access or another DB? I don't get it.

Comparison and instant availability. Site goes down? No problem - I'll look on my database. Cache archived and no longer shows on PQs and searches - which one was it? Compare to the offline database.

I also use it for proximity checks. When a new cache goes into my database I see it referenced to other nearby "known" locations (major interstate intersections, landmarks, etc.). That way I can easily see - ("Oh, yea, that cache is near the interesection of I-55 & I-294 - 0.969 miles away"; as opposed to "It's at N 41° 45.674 W 087° 55.124; that's relatively close to N 41° 45.600 W 087° 54.000 which is the intersection to I-55 & I-294").

I built the access database before Pocket Queries and the enhancement of the cache search pages to do those type of queries that are now available there.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

When Clayjar wrote the magnificent Watcher program, I said, "What about an export feature?" I've still been hounding him that a generalized export feature would be nice for Watcher. Limit the fields you can see on screen and limit the data with watcher, and then export it into a standard CSV format.

It hasn't happened yet. icon_wink.gif

Try Utopia. It's always had fully customizable CSV file export.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by YeOleImposter:

I sure wish one of the programs like watcher or Utopia allowed one to put the 'find date' in. Then these programs could be used as a 'database' for keeping track of found caches.

What are you trying to achive that the system doesn't already do? You can already get a complete list of caches, including archived, with the date you found it. What additional functionality were you looking for?

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:

I sure wish one of the programs like watcher or Utopia allowed one to put the 'find date' in. Then these programs could be used as a 'database' for keeping track of found caches.

What are you trying to achive that the system doesn't already do? You can already get a complete list of caches, including archived, with the date you found it. What additional functionality were you looking for?

Which system? I want a program that I can keep track of my finds with at least the date I found it and basic cache info. This program should then be able to output this into some kind of csv or gpx type file.

So far I have not found this - and will probably just do like everyone else and import my found.gpx pocket querry and then manually add the archived ones. Probably the easiest route anyway, unless someone has any ideas.

mystats.php?userid=YeOleImposter&vopt=&txtdata=&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=wsga.jpg

I was refering to geocaching.com. I can display all the caches I've found, including the date I found it, by using the search page. Just log on and search by your user name. It lists all the caches found, and the cache pages are just a click away. This satisfies any need I have. That's why I'm asking what you're looking for.

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

I was refering to geocaching.com. I can display all the caches I've found, including the date I found it, by using the search page. Just log on and search by your user name. It lists all the caches found, and the cache pages are just a click away. This satisfies any need I have. That's why I'm asking what you're looking for.

Gotcha, No, I like to play with the data - currently using gpsbabel to convert the data into a format for both tigermaps and M$ Streets & Trips to create maps:

Local Caches I have found

Washington, Oregon, Idaho Caches I have found

USA Caches I have found

mystats.php?userid=YeOleImposter&vopt=&txtdata=&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=wsga.jpg

If your a premium member and get the pocket querys. You can import the GPX file directly into access. Change the extension to .xml and the file can be imported. I was able to do it easily with Access 2002. There were some error but I think you can fine tune those out.

Use Prime Suspect's Utopia along with your personal queries. You can append multiple gpx files together, then export to Streets & Trips - that's how I make my maps.

Utopia along with the personal queries does everything I could think of coming up with (and Prime Suspect has always been helpful when I e-mail him with a really stupid question about something I didn't know it would do).

texasgeocaching_sm.gifmystats.php?userid=ShaneN4Girls&vopt=user&txtdata=Find%20your%20purpose...&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=texas1.jpg

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

quote:
Originally posted by GEO Dog Cacher:

If your a premium member and get the pocket querys. You can import the GPX file directly into access. Change the extension to .xml and the file can be imported. I was able to do it easily with Access 2002. There were some error but I think you can fine tune those out.

Yeah, except for one thing. You cannot get "archived" caches in a query. Do NOT ask...apparently the reason for not allowing them in a query will bring down the board and geocaching as we know it. (You won't get an answer).

Also...I add "Pics"..."Stories"...my own "Ratings"...lots of stuff to enjoy with my family. NO Query will do that since you can't log it. - JamesJM

quote:
Originally posted by ShaneN4Girls:

Use Prime Suspect's Utopia along with your personal queries. You can append multiple gpx files together, then export to Streets & Trips - that's how I make my maps.

Utopia along with the personal queries does everything I could think of coming up with (and Prime Suspect has always been helpful when I e-mail him with a really stupid question about something I didn't know it would do).

I will look at Utopia again.

Is it possible to manually 'add' caches to Utopia that are not in a querry? ie., the archived ones that will not be sent with the PQs?

quote:

I will look at Utopia again.

Is it possible to manually 'add' caches to Utopia that are not in a querry? ie., the archived ones that will not be sent with the PQs?

Not exactly, but it can read the LOC files you can request for archived caches. You can merge them in with the GPX data. Utopia can work with both types of information in the same data set. Of course, LOC files don't have a lot of the information that's contained in GPX files. If your intent is to export this data for use in a database or spreadsheet, you would have to fill in any missing data manually. What that would be would depend on what information you're interested in saving. But using the LOC files would save you having to type in the cache names, owner names, and waypoint IDs.

And FYI, release v0.9.3 is now available for download. See the screen shots page for a quick idea of what the program does.

3608_2800.gif