Garmin Font?

Proper shenanigans in the digital world often requires a degree of accuracy when attempting to amuse or befuddle others.

After capturing a display bitmap with the intent to modify it in one's graphics editor of choice, has anyone found a good match for Garmin's font?

Digging through my meager stockpile gave no joy, nor did any attempts out in the 'ether'.

Those that I hope for a giggle from are the sort that would likely check the details of the potential deception, closely.

I've read and observed how some of your minds work, and strongly suspect that an assist can be had.

Got font?

"Translation: I want to do a better job at photoshopping locationless/virtual cache logs, so I'm using my sockpuppet acount to ask for help."

Thank you!

Words is words, but you are mistaken, and your cynicism is rather misplaced.

I have only one account! I do not geocache in any form!

I come here to learn, and occasionally enjoy some of the humor that is posted!

Sometimes a person lets fly before fully engaging all available resources. I will choose to believe that this case is not representative of what can be expected from others.

My question stands, and I will continue to hope for civility in the face of a lone skeptic.

Again, thank you.

Translation: I want to do a better job at photoshopping locationless/virtual cache logs, so I'm using my sockpuppet acount to ask for help.

Not a 'photoshop' person, so maybe someone can explain this. How would having the garmin font help in forging pics?? :ph34r:

And to be on topic, no idea what the font would be, maybe ask garmin?

"Or you could photoshop in the coordinates to "prove" you've visited a cache, or benchmark."

And there, to me, is the twist, good fellow.

As best as I can tell from a bit of searching, pictures of a GPS located at the actual site are what is usually asked for.

My question was about a capture directly from the unit's screen as can be done with software. No photo, no location, no harm, no foul.

Hopefully the flavor of this thread so far, won't keep anyone with an easier going attitude from sharing their knowledge.

Me, I'll keep my positive opinion about the nature of most folks, intact.

Maybe some here can rediscover theirs? :ph34r:

Proper shenanigans in the digital world often requires a degree of accuracy when attempting to amuse or befuddle others.

Translation: I want to do a better job at photoshopping locationless/virtual cache logs, so I'm using my sockpuppet acount to ask for help.

We have a winner!

JMBella, tell him what he won...! :ph34r:

(sorry I'm a little late)

Well Smurfy, Mopar will be taking home this amazing set of OVEN MITTS! That's right Mopar for playing "Guess the Ulterior Motive" you automatically win this handsome set of his and her oven mitts. But wait there's more! For answering correctly you have also won and all expense paid trip for two to beautiful... Staten Island! < crowd: ooooh, aahhh!> You heard right. You and GeoHo will spend 6 days and 5 luxurious nights in a 2.5 star resort hotel overlooking one of Staten Island's many aromatic landfills!!! Now Mopar are you ready to move on to the BONUS ROUND?! Smurf boy, take Mopar to the Wheel of Doom for his one final question!

Well Smurfy, Mopar will be taking home this amazing set of OVEN MITTS! That's right Mopar for playing "Guess the Ulterior Motive" you automatically win this handsome set of his and her oven mitts. But wait there's more!  For answering correctly you have also won and all expense paid trip for two to beautiful... Staten Island! < crowd: ooooh, aahhh!> You heard right. You and GeoHo will spend 6 days and 5 luxurious nights in a 2.5 star resort hotel overlooking one of Staten Island's many aromatic landfills!!!  Now Mopar are you ready to move on to the BONUS ROUND?!  Smurf boy, take Mopar to the Wheel of Doom for his one final question!

Sounds to me like Mopar lost. He still gets the prizes? No fair!

Wait a minute... conspiracy???

Got font?

To answer your question, and instill your faith in the geocaching community, I can't help with the fonts. Mainly because I use a Magellan. Try googling fonts. It will take some leg work to go through them all but I'm sure it will yield the results you want.

Edited by JMBella
I do not geocache in any form!

Okay then, If you don't geocache, prove it...

Should geocaching be allowed in wilderness areas?

(See, if they answer no, we'll know that their ability to reason hasn't been clouded by a love for the game!) :ph34r: Man, I am FUNNY!! :ph34r:

<Sorry, no need to respond.>

I do not geocache in any form!

Okay then, If you don't geocache, prove it...

Should geocaching be allowed in wilderness areas?

(See, if they answer no, we'll know that their ability to reason hasn't been clouded by a love for the game!) :ph34r: Man, I am FUNNY!! :ph34r:

<Sorry, no need to respond.>

AAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"even lighting across the whole face of the screen."

Thanks, but I do a screen capture rather than a photo.

"I take it you're not enjoying this humor. :ph34r:"

Bella, Bella, Bella. There's humor, and then there is what was belched :P above. Never the twain shall meet. :D

"Here are 2 (hardee har har) sites you should definitely check out:"

For some strange reason, after years of accumulation, there sits 2,623 assorted fonts in my box. More than half of them could be eliminated by name alone, so I shuffled through at least 1,000 of them buggers with only semi-close results. I reckon another 1,000 were viewed out in the ether. The hope is still for some direct experience.

"put the unit in training mode and 'convince' it that it is in the desired location"

Good idea but location has no use for this project. Speeds, glide ratios, altitude and the like are items I couldn't simulate.

"Why don't you "geocache in any form"?"

Don't have the time for it these days. Maybe in the future.

"Why can't I get a hang of this whole making-friends thing??"

ghOzt, did your childhood report cards suggest that while you exhibited moments of great insight and competence, you had difficulty playing well with others? :ph34r:

Being a person that works with graphics and trademarked logos everyday, I would recommend that you write to Garmin.

Frankly, the font looks like a logo that was designed specifically for them. That may be why you are having difficulty finding the font. The shape of the G, A and N seem to be different than what I have seen before but considering the thousands of fonts available there is no telling.

If that is a custom typestyle and if you attempt to fake their font you will be in violation of trademark laws.

"If that is a custom typestyle and if you attempt to fake their font you will be in violation of trademark laws"

In the case of my intended use, no laws will be even remotely violated. This comes from my everyday knowledge.

"write to Garmin."

Form letter nebulous responses twice over 6 months, then a "we're looking into it" about a month ago.

I appreciate your response and concerns, but I hope you understand the potential that you have created a scenario that will decrease the likelihood of further responses if folks accept your general trademark statement.

My guess is that you know of more than one condition where a violation (reported or not) would not be incurred.

Hopefully this has not been completely derailed.

I might could make a font for you, if you get me images of all the characters you want in the font and give me a little time. I don't have a Garmin, so I can't get them myself.

I made a font of my handwriting. It's great for that "hand-written" effect.

I appreciate your response and concerns, but I hope you understand the potential that you have created a scenario that will decrease the likelihood of further responses if folks accept your general trademark statement.

My guess is that you know of more than one condition where a violation (reported or not) would not be incurred.

Hopefully this has not been completely derailed.

Since you will not tell anyone what your intentions are, it can only be assumed that they are not legitimate. Your constant evasiveness does not help your cause.

I will offer you one legitimate, legal course of action which will yield quick results. Call the marketing department for Garmin. Explain to them why you want to use their type-style. Ask for the name of their advertising agency. Call that agency and speak to the creative department. They will be able to tell you exactly what the type-style is and/or if you can legally use it.

Considering the time and effort that you say you have put into this, a few simple phone calls would be well worth the investment -- unless your time is of little value and you just enjoy wasting it... and ours.

Okay, let's go with the idea that RJ is not a geocacher who is trying to photoshop locationless and virtual caches. It's possible that he is, as he states, merely trying to trick someone for another reason. That makes him either a con-man or a practical joker.

The most socially acceptable option would be that he is a practical joker. Anyone who would go through that much trouble to get a "giggle" has a serious problem and should seek counseling immediately, before someone responds to one of his pranks with a blunt object.

Any way you look at it, something just don't smell right in his request.

RichardMoore

The author of this topic has admirable communication skills; I suspect he also has an equitable sense of humor.

It might be amusing to know just what's up his sleeve. But his persistant secrecy, coming from a self-admitted non geocacher, is rather annoying and, frankly, I view this topic as totally unrelated to geocaching topics. It is forum forum litter, and it is not entertaining or useful.

This thread should be closed. :ph34r::ph34r: